Coronavirus prep

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

What if they do, after you're already there?

There’s a lot worse places to be stranded.
    @just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

Don't flush it, though: Sewage system clogs are a whole other problem.

;)

Well, there aren't sears catalogs anymore, but I can build up a ready supply from all the junk mail flyers, seed catalogs, and clothing catalogs I get in the mail every week!

I went to Krogers website today to check if something was in stock at my local store, and noticed a ribbon message at the top that says they are limiting sanitation and cold & flu related items to 5 per customer. So if you want to stockpile your toilet paper, you'll have to hit a couple of different Kroger stores and pay in cash.....

@bmeadows380 what state are you in?
  • kshama2001
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

Because for this illness people are contagious before showing symptoms, I would personally not get on a plane right now, especially for international travel, but the WHO is less conservative as of Feb 29: https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_advice_for_international_traffic-rev/en/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Toilet paper: Keep in mind that people in the good ol' days used pages from the Sears Roebuck catalog out in the outhouse. Obviously, there's no Sears catalog any more, but if you have the usual supply of National Geographic or whatever in your basement, you're in good shape. Even pages from the zombie apocalypse books will work, in a pinch.

Don't flush it, though: Sewage system clogs are a whole other problem.

;)

Well, there aren't sears catalogs anymore, but I can build up a ready supply from all the junk mail flyers, seed catalogs, and clothing catalogs I get in the mail every week!

I went to Krogers website today to check if something was in stock at my local store, and noticed a ribbon message at the top that says they are limiting sanitation and cold & flu related items to 5 per customer. So if you want to stockpile your toilet paper, you'll have to hit a couple of different Kroger stores and pay in cash.....

@bmeadows380 what state are you in?

Yep, but then I'm one mile from the recent five deaths in the Seattle area: (Kroger/Fed Meyer website)
    Due to high demand and to support all customers, we will be limiting the number of Sanitization, Cold and Flu related products to 5 each per order. Your order may be modified at time of pickup or delivery.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.

Canadian labour laws generally tend to be better than the US.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    A marathon that I ran last month was giving free hats as their swag, but they were delayed coming from China. The race ended up shipping them later when they came in, which I think is big of them to incur the extra postage. So... I got my hat from China, just delayed a couple weeks. I had other hats to wear in the meantime so I did not go hat-less. If you can't get your TP from China, maybe have "other" TP to get you by? I.e. have enough on hand or use other materials.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Two confirmed cases in the state where I live. No food hoarding, mostly wariness in terms of health, hygiene, and other people's sicknesses. Plus my family has no plans to travel.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    No cases in Michigan yet, but the hand sanitizer shelf at my Kroger was nearly empty: Something like 4 bottles of the store brand left.

Yes, I bought some. On Saturday, I'd noticed that the small bottle in my car - mostly there because man, there's a lot of goose-poop at the rowing dock - was empty, so it was time for routine restock.

I'll admit to feeling, in this thread, like a smug prepper on account of having run nearly out of TP recently, so I bought a giant bale on my last trip to Costco (my usual restock practice). I'm set for TP until nearly 2021, probably. Hope I needn't bar the door against neighbors. :lol:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I stopped at the supermarket on the way home. They were out of cucumbers. Clearly a sign that the end is nigh. Toilet paper was in plentiful supply, and I have added another 18 pack to my cupboard.

I think some of it is panic by irrational people. I suppose some of it may be people who because they are retired or telecommute or are independently wealthy can plan to just stay home for weeks or even months (which also seems like an overreaction to me).

It's not an over reaction if you're someone more susceptible to complications. I fully intend to hunker down if it comes to it. I would rather over react, than under react. But again, I'm part of the minority that needs to be that bit more cautious.

Yes, and I think a point that gets overlooked a lot is that in the U.S. at least the percentage of the population that is elderly or has existing health issues that increase risk is not some tiny percentage.

But I guess I was thinking of people I know who have been talking about this IRL in the last few days who (so far as I know) are not at increased risk, who are talking about getting masks or stocking up on OTC meds, only they don't even know which symptoms they should get OTCs for.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    No cases in Michigan yet, but the hand sanitizer shelf at my Kroger was nearly empty: Something like 4 bottles of the store brand left.

Yes, I bought some. On Saturday, I'd noticed that the small bottle in my car - mostly there because man, there's a lot of goose-poop at the rowing dock - was empty, so it was time for routine restock.

I'll admit to feeling, in this thread, like a smug prepper on account of having run nearly out of TP recently, so I bought a giant bale on my last trip to Costco (my usual restock practice). I'm set for TP until nearly 2021, probably. Hope I needn't bar the door against neighbors. :lol:

Thank you! I was making a list of where to go for TP when this all gets serious. This is my first list... food, medicine, and clean water are all less important lists and TP is the priority. You just helped me complete my list. [Sarcasm]
  • kshama2001
    try2again wrote: »
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

If you want you can go to KOMO News and watch the King County news conference.

We're up to six deaths now. :(

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Since there's no cure, just treatment of whatever symptoms you have, which are evident without a test, I don't see any point for individuals to seek tests. If it's a test being done for public health purposes, that's a "common good" issue and should be paid for out of the public health budget.

As a veteran who gets health care through the VA, I imagine my test would be free, if available. Here are tips for veterans:

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/72072/coronavirus-be-informed-and-call-your-provider-if-symptoms-develop/

...If you have symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath, please call your local VA medical center and select the option to speak to a nurse before visiting the facility. Tell them about your symptoms and any recent travel.

In addition to calling first, consider using VA’s telehealth and virtual care options. VA’s telehealth providers can evaluate your symptoms and provide a diagnosis and comprehensive care, so you do not have to leave your home

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/n-coronavirus/index.asp
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

What if I get hit by a car walking home.
    What if I fall on a bike.
    What if I have a heart attack on my couch.
    What if I trip and fall down the steps....

The list goes on.

I am not and never was a what if person. Live life.

There's a high probability that most of us will see cases of the virus in our home states by the time this is over, so cancelling a trip at this point on the mere risk they may get a case seems irrational.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

Canadian labour laws generally tend to be better than the US.

The only thing that I know of here's that an employer's unable to fire an employee, for jury duty but 1 did try & got arrested, after the judge noticed that the potential juror was upset.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

If you want you can go to KOMO News and watch the King County news conference.

We're up to six deaths now. :(

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Since there's no cure, just treatment of whatever symptoms you have, which are evident without a test, I don't see any point for individuals to seek tests. If it's a test being done for public health purposes, that's a "common good" issue and should be paid for out of the public health budget.

I actually agree. I just had in mind a poster upthread who was considering taking her family to the doctor, though I believe she may have had a child in a higher-risk category. It sounds like hospitals & urgent care centers are declining to test unless a person is at a stage that requires hospitalization anyway.

Good example of why people shouldn't fret & panic over the numbers... the numbers are representative of only a small fraction of the cases out there, and usually the most severe. I would actually be surprised if most states didn't have cases at this point.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

What if I get hit by a car walking home.
    What if I fall on a bike.
    What if I have a heart attack on my couch.
    What if I trip and fall down the steps....

The list goes on.

I am not and never was a what if person. Live life.

There's a high probability that most of us will see cases of the virus in our home states by the time this is over, so cancelling a trip at this point on the mere risk they may get a case seems irrational.

I would venture to say most of us probably already do.