What’s going on with this?

Being measured by my PT every couple of weeks, but I seem to be lowering body fat, muscle is going up but I’m not losing any weight and neither am I seeing any reduction in cm/inches at all.
Why would this be happening?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Margin of error in measurements perhaps,either with the way your muscle and body fat is beong measured and/or how/when/on what you're weighing yourself. What does your PT say?
  • HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    PT measures it all every 10 days as well as looking at my weight. He’s going to tweak my macros, but my question is if I’m losing fat and building muscle why do I not see it in measurements or weight loss?
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    HBMairi wrote: »
    PT measures it all every 10 days as well as looking at my weight. He’s going to tweak my macros, but my question is if I’m losing fat and building muscle why do I not see it in measurements or weight loss?

Because fat & muscle, both've weight & volume, to them but it's unlikely to evenly replace 1, with the other. Thereby you might be retaining water, for a variety of reasons: menstruation, sodium, carbohydrates and/or muscle repair. Which's why, weight loss or gain, isn't linear.

How many 10 day periods of time, has he been weighing and/or measuring you? If it's been less than 28 days {4 weeks}, that isn't enough time to determine a trend.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    muscle growth (especially in a female) is a long and slow process - how much muscle exactly are they saying you have put on in a 10 day period?
  • HBMairi
    Here are my statsbpigg4q2qf5y.jpeg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    There is something very off there...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Is this one of those impedance scales? If so they are super unreliable. just test it: work out hard, get dehydrated, step on the scale. Then drink a pile of water and try again. The results will be massively different. Also, having sweat on your feet or all other body parts with which you have contact with sensors will also influence the results a bit. Would not be surprised if a bit of TOM waterweight somehow shows as well.
  • HBMairi
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    There is something very off there...

In what way?
  • HBMairi
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    You've lost 8% body fat and no weight loss?Assuming you are using the same scale each time and it is definitely functional I think your body fat is being measured incorrectly

Thanks, yes this is what I couldn't understand. There HAS to be weight loss with fat loss right?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Bumping this because I'd like to see more comments from knowledgeable users. To me, that data (and your PT) sounds very questionable.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited March 2020
    You've lost 8% body fat and no weight loss?Assuming you are using the same scale each time and it is definitely functional I think your body fat is being measured incorrectly

Thanks, yes this is what I couldn't understand. There HAS to be weight loss with fat loss right?

They are not synonymous. Scale weight is mass correlating with the force of gravity, affected by many factors, whether internally or externally from the body.

Fat loss is exactly as it sounds, which may or may not affect scale weight.

In each measured row, there is 1 inconsistency in each, where the priority measurements are supra-iliac and umbilical, the 3rd measurement is different with pectorals, midaxillary, and hamstrings being measured in those weeks. So those set of muscle groups would contribute differently to calculating overall body fat percentage, assuming those are the only data used in the calculations, and likely with calipers where results can vary wildly if the person doing the measurements is inconsistent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

What are you using to determine BF%? If it is one of those scales, they aren't accurate at all.
  • HBMairi
    anubis609 wrote: »

They are not synonymous. Scale weight is mass correlating with the force of gravity, affected by many factors, whether internally or externally from the body.

Fat loss is exactly as it sounds, which may or may not affect scale weight.

In each measured row, there is 1 inconsistency in each, where the priority measurements are supra-iliac and umbilical, the 3rd measurement is different with pectorals, midaxillary, and hamstrings being measured in those weeks. So those set of muscle groups would contribute differently to calculating overall body fat percentage, assuming those are the only data used in the calculations.
    The pecs, midaxillary and hamstrings have been measured each time.

• HBMairi
    I’m not expecting to see major differences in anything, I was asking why I’m not seeing weight loss
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I’m not expecting to see major differences in anything, I was asking why I’m not seeing weight loss

If you're not losing weight, you aren't in a calorie deficit. As for your BF%, once again, how is that being determined?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

If you haven't seen any weight loss in a month, you are most likely not in a calorie deficit. Are you logging your food? Using a food scale? How was your calorie target determined?
  • HBMairi
    My diary is open, yes I’m logging my food and logging it properly