MARCH '20 GLUTES AND LEGS CHALLENGE (4 WEEKS)

TinaZ2018
TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
edited March 2020 in Challenges
Estimated time: ~35 mins +10 cool down (haven’t actually timed it yet but it also depends on how slow or fast you are doing the exercises)
Frequency: do it 3 times a week
Equipment: yoga mat, ankle weights, dumbbells, resistance bands, a chair… Optional: weighted bag, kettle-bell and barbell only as options.

WARM UP: 20 jumping squats, 30 jumping jacks, 30 body weight squats
Rest 30 seconds

SET 1
  • 1 minute/15 bouncing squat to a curtsy holding weight, left side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute/15 bouncing squat to a curtsy holding weight, right side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute/20 kickbacks with ankle weight, left side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute/20 kickbacks with ankle weight, right side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute 30 leg circles with ankle weight, left side (reverse halfway)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute 30 leg circles with ankle weight, right side (reverse halfway)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 1 minute/20 jumping squats
  • Rest 30 seconds
See the moves and some instructions here: https://youtu.be/CSLh_Pt5Mio

SET 2
  • 20 side-side crab walks (with low difficulty resistance band)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 clam shells (each side, with low difficulty resistance band)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 kick back + 10 pulses (each side, with ankle weights)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 donkey kicks (each side, with ankle weights)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 jumping squats
  • Rest 60 seconds
See the moves and some instructions here: https://youtu.be/O2Ul1Rwtaws

SET 3 (see photo)
  • 30 seconds wall sit/squat
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 standing side leg raise with ankle weight/resistance band, right side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 standing side leg raise with ankle weight/resistance band, left side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 single leg dead lift holding dumbbells, right side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 single leg dead lift holding dumbbells, left side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 chair squats
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 Kettle bell/dumbbells/barbell Romanian Dead lift
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 single Bulgarian split squat, right side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 single Bulgarian split squats, left side
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 20 fire hydrants (each side, with ankle weights)
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 30 weighted bridges
  • Rest 30 seconds
  • 10 jumping squats
    WORKOUT COMPLETE!
t1p1pu9g39ht.jpg

It’s recommended to do a post-workout stretch. Here’s a 10 min one: https://youtu.be/Ji9vKgfWK88

• You can make your own schedule, adapted to how fit you are.
• Do your best but adjust to your lifestyle as needed. If you can’t do them all in one take, pause when necessary, just try to finish it. If you are a beginner and can’t do them with those weights yet, do them with smaller ones or without and add them when you feel up to it.
• Each week increase the weight for dumbbells and the difficulty for the resistance bands.
• Don’t do them too fast and don’t do them too slow. Think about the muscle you are trying to use and concentrate on it. Feel it!
• If it’s too easy, you need to add more weight.
• For each exercise involving your booty, finish the move with a squeeze (it makes wonders for that bubble butt). So squat, get up, squeeze for 1-2 seconds and repeat.
• The same for other exercises… at the peek of the move, squeeze and hold the pose for 1-2 seconds and then release/return in a controlled matter.
• It’s very important to concentrate on your posture. This way, you won’t hurt yourself and the exercises will have the desired effect. If you don’t know how, there are tons of movies on YouTube showing how. Or just ask me. 😊

An example of progressively adding weight:
Week 1: no ankle weights, low difficulty resistance band, 1 kg dumbbells (use together for dead lifts, bridges etc)
Week 2: 1kg ankle weights, medium difficulty resistance band, 1 kg dumbbells (use together for dead lifts, bridges etc).
Week 3: 2kg ankle weights, high difficulty resistance band, 2 kg dumbbells (use together for dead lifts), 5kg weighted bag for bridges, 12kg kettle bell for dead lifts (if possible)
Week 4: 2kg ankle weights, high or very high difficulty resistance band, 3 kg dumbbells (use together for dead lifts), 5kg weighted bag for bridges, 12kg kettle bell for dead lifts (if possible) and if you think you are up to it, after you are done with all 3 sets, do them once more. 😊

I hope many will join me.
Looking forward to reading your updates.

Let’s do this! :)

Replies

• denisaarsene
    denisaarsene Posts: 41 Member
    I'm in!
  • TinaZ2018
    I'm in!

Glad to hear that! looking forward to your updates. My first day is tomorrow (March 4th).
  • TinaZ2018
    I hope more people will join us. I need support and encouragement! :blush:
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    I'm in, but I need to get some dumbells. I have some sand weights somewhere in the basement 😁. Thank you, lovely Tina 🌷🤗🏋️‍♀️
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I definitely want to participate. I am recovering from being sick (flu/shortness of breath/coughing) and need to wait a few more days before I start. Maybe I will be better by Thursday? I may have to adjust the workouts to accommodate equipment at the gym I go to.
  • denisaarsene
    3 March- first day. I've really enjoyed the exercises.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Me! Can't do a couple because of surgery recovery but I'll do the others!
  • TinaZ2018
    dewit wrote: »
    I'm in, but I need to get some dumbells. I have some sand weights somewhere in the basement 😁. Thank you, lovely Tina 🌷🤗🏋️‍♀️

Yay I'm so happy! You can do them without weights in the first week or hold something else as weight (cans of food or any other heavy enough object).
  • TinaZ2018
    I definitely want to participate. I am recovering from being sick (flu/shortness of breath/coughing) and need to wait a few more days before I start. Maybe I will be better by Thursday? I may have to adjust the workouts to accommodate equipment at the gym I go to.

Get well soon! I'd say you'd better recover this week and start fresh on Monday. It's not a problem if you finish it on April 4th.
  • TinaZ2018
    3 March- first day. I've really enjoyed the exercises.

You're always there for me! :-) *hugs*
    I'm so glad you enjoyed them!
  • TinaZ2018
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Me! Can't do a couple because of surgery recovery but I'll do the others!

That's great! Never give up. Adapt. :-) You can skip them or replace them with some moves you can do, using the same muscle groups.
  • TinaZ2018
    Don't forget to check in with updates and for to note for each week what weights you've used for each exercise. :*
  • micronirav
    micronirav Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Christina, saw your Facebook post on mfp page and I was trying to signup. But looks like post is deleted. I am definitely interested in joining this. Would you be able to include full body workout? This looks like only butt and legs excercises.
  • TinaZ2018
    edited March 2020
    micronirav wrote: »
    Hi Christina, saw your Facebook post on mfp page and I was trying to signup. But looks like post is deleted. I am definitely interested in joining this. Would you be able to include full body workout? This looks like only butt and legs excercises.

Hi! Well, the actually challenge is here (that was just a post) and you commented so.. .you're in! :smile: I deleted it because it spiked no interest in that FB group.
    The challenge is focused on glutes and legs but you mostly work the whole body.

If you are up to it (cause I don't know how much time you workout and how often), you can mix up this challenge with one of these:

Intense FULL BODY STRENGTH Workout
    https://youtu.be/MIPC31kYPW4

FULL BODY HIIT Workout // Strength + Cardio
    https://youtu.be/m1z7zSWatwo

Intense 30 Minute Full Body HIIT // No Equipment Workout
    https://youtu.be/f8GzCmbz6YY
  • micronirav
    micronirav Posts: 6 Member
    TinaZ2018 wrote: »

Hi! Well, the actually challenge is here (that was just a post) and you commented so.. .you're in! :smile: I deleted it because it spiked no interest in that FB group.
    The challenge is focused on glutes and legs but you mostly work the whole body.

If you are up to it (cause I don't know how much time you workout and how often), you can mix up this challenge with one of these:

Intense FULL BODY STRENGTH Workout
    https://youtu.be/MIPC31kYPW4

FULL BODY HIIT Workout // Strength + Cardio
    https://youtu.be/m1z7zSWatwo

Intense 30 Minute Full Body HIIT // No Equipment Workout
    https://youtu.be/f8GzCmbz6YY

Awesome. Thanks for these links. Please count me in. I will mix them up. Little about me. I lost 50lbs 3 years ago and right now I am maintaining at 175 lbs. My target is now 165. I am only going treadmill and running 3 miles 3 times in week. I am doing this since last 3.5 years. But want to include various workouts now as running is taking toll on my knees and getting boring too. 😀

I will start from today. How do I provide you my updates? Would love to have accountability and someone to nudge me. Lol
  • TinaZ2018
    Dear micronirav, I'll nudge you, don't you worry. :-) We'll all post our updates here. That is an amazing loss and I'm proud of your progress. You've shown perseverance and that paid up! 3.5 years is true commitment. Great work!
  • TinaZ2018
    edited March 2020
    Day 1&2 finished (4-5 of March).

Week 1:
    • bouncing squat to a curtsy holding a 3kg weight
    • kickbacks/donkey kicks/leg circles/fire hydrants with 1kg ankle weight
    • side-side crab walks/clam shells with medium with medium (14-16kg) resistance band
    • standing side leg raise with 1kg ankle weight
    • single leg deadlift holding 2x3kg dumbbells
    • Romanian deadlift with 12kg kettlebell
    • single Bulgarian split squat holding 2x1kg dumbells
    • weighted bridges with 5kg weighted bag

I had difficulty keeping balance at the single leg dead lift. Otherwise, it was great and I really enjoyed it. It made me sweat really good. My muscles are sore but decently.. I can still walk normally. Haha
    I'll have no problems to increase the weight next week.

Sooo hubby managed to get through the glutes&legs challenge with me but he struggled a lot even with small ankle weights. When he unwillingly lost all that weight, due to the starvation most of it was muscle, so he needs to get back in shape... Baby steps. Today we celebrated him getting back to 80kg (the least he had 74kg, the most 92kg).
    He made dirty jokes most of the time, so it was hard for me to keep the correct posture while laughing but we had fun! Also, he said that I've almost worked him to death, so right after he went and fried two big sausages, ate them with a double portion of mashed potatoes and finished strong with a cold beer. 😂 I only touched his plate to wash it, cause I'm a good girl. :#
    Starting today we'll continue the challenge but on our own separate ways. He enjoyed it. 😅
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Day 1: I did 2 out of your 3 sets and then 7 minutes for Abs from Strong by Zumba + 5 min Planks. Didn't have weights (the 750ml water bottles were a joke), so I increased the reps and added some exercises.

Day 2: Found my sand weights - delighted!, time to move to the next level. However, I chose Le Sweat, 30 mins HIIT. As I had told you I bike to work and want to run at least once a week, so I need to work my upper body too... Also, working out first ging in the morning is a challenge by itself. Need to make it a little fun 😁.

I am delighted 😍 to see the links to full body and intense HIIT. Will check them out asap. Ty!! 🤗

Thank you for all of this 💐😘🏆. We're in this together, even though I allow myself some variations. Working out in the morning is a killer 😖, but I need to be consistent in March. Once it becomes a habbit, it might feel better 🏋️‍♀️. Sleep has def. improved 👍.
  • TinaZ2018
    @dewit funny thing... I'm not a morning person. Yesterday I did the workout in the afternoon with my husband and the second one, today at 5AM. I felt better while doing it in the morning. I think this new routine suits me but if it's too much of a hassle for you, do it when it's more comfortable for you. It's really weird that the night before the 5AM workouts I can barely fall asleep, so I did my workouts after a 2-4h sleep, cause that all I could catch.

I do this challenge 3 times a week but I combine it with 15-20 minutes of abs, HIIT, arms, back etc. So glutes and legs are my focus but I work the other groups too.

I'm glad you liked it and I'm happy that you are delighted with the HIIT links (the last one was the hardest for me). I mostly like the ones combined with strength training but I'm sure that's only cause I suck at cardio and feel like dyeing after 10 minutes. ;) You are much more it and active.

As I said in the presentation of the challenge, you can adapt it to your own life and needs. I'm just glad you are doing it along with us. <3 You are welcome and I hope you will participate in my future challenges too.

P.S. If anyone from here is very fit and brave enough, he/she could try this advanced HIIT.
    I won't try it yet, cause I guess it's expensive for you to travel to come to my funeral... :#
    https://youtu.be/NdYi2KLQPEo

• denisaarsene
    March, 4th: second day (this first week I use the same equipment)
    -bouncing squat to a curtsy holding a 3kg
    -weightkickbacks/donkey kicks/leg circles/fire hydrants with 1kg weight (I had to improvise here 😁 tying my dumbbells)
    -side-side crab walks/clam shells with minimum resistance band
    -standing side leg raise with 1kg
    -deadlift holding 2x3kg dumbbellsRomanian
    - Bulgarian split squat holding 3 kg dumbells
    - bridges with 5kg weighted bag (or so - I just filled something with sand 😁)

I felt even better today - I don't know if the 4 tonnes of coffee had something to do with this. I had more equilibrium in my body. I still have to buy some equipment- I hope this Sunday to go and finish my job🤣😁.

Have a good day everyone!