Carbs

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I'm lucky to be getting 30% protein and it's a struggle a lot of the days and many times I have to use a protein shake to get close to that number (109g daily for me). And focusing on trying to hit that protein number often times means I'm eating more meat and dairy than I am vegetables, which I don't like to do.

@mmapags Is that 0.35g fat per lb of ideal weight like the protein, or your current weight? Though truth be told, I have an even harder time getting in fats than I do protein. My natural way of eating is automatically low fat, high carb as the foods that primarily fill me up are carbs first, proteins a close second, with fats coming in a very distant third.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I'm lucky to be getting 30% protein and it's a struggle a lot of the days and many times I have to use a protein shake to get close to that number (109g daily for me). And focusing on trying to hit that protein number often times means I'm eating more meat and dairy than I am vegetables, which I don't like to do.

@mmapags Is that 0.35g fat per lb of ideal weight like the protein, or your current weight? Though truth be told, I have an even harder time getting in fats than I do protein. My natural way of eating is automatically low fat, high carb as the foods that primarily fill me up are carbs first, proteins a close second, with fats coming in a very distant third.

That number for fat is generally stated as "per lb of body weight." Protein is stated differently because it is about supporting lean mass and someone who is not that active might be able to do ok on less. But muscle mass preservation is important while losing and protein is important for that as well as muscle growth.

For protein, according to the research, there is a diminishing rate of return beyond 1 gram per lb of lean mass. If someone prefers more, no harm, but there is no need to force feed it. There is some evidence that Muscle Protein Synthesis may be reduced as people age, so a little more can be a good thing for one as they age.

Eric Helms has published some really interesting summaries of the research on protein intake.
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    What’s been working for me is eating 1g-1.3g/lb of lean mass of protein. Which for me is 170-225g of protein which will come out to approx 700-900 calories (at 900 cals that = 40% of my daily cals). I try to stay around 20% of my calories from fat and make the rest up in carbs. Some days I do great some days the balance gets off. Some days I noticed that my workouts have lacked energy and I’ll drop a little protein and add more carbs for the next days workout to give me a boost.

At the end of the day you got to find what works for you and your body. You got to find what you can sustain and be consistent with that also gives you the results you are looking for.
  • jimsessions8
    jimsessions8 Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you all for your comments.im a bit overwhelmed by so much advice.but I'll try and understand it and apply as much as I can.
  • jimsessions8
    Well I'm now just working on my weight .I switched from a jimmy dean sandwich to a bagel which is a 100 calories less .I noticed I got hungry at 11 instead of 12. And I lost a few pounds.maybe I was eating to much for breakfast
  • jimsessions8
    Well I'm trying to eat alot of antivirus foods such as peanuts honey nuts.maybe it will help stop this virus.we are waiting for a vaccine but until then this is something we can do
  • jimsessions8
    Well they are anti virus foods.it should help your body resist Corona. I felt a little weird last week.after eating nuts honey apples for a week I feel better.right now it's all we got right now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Well they are anti virus foods.it should help your body resist Corona. I felt a little weird last week.after eating nuts honey apples for a week I feel better.right now it's all we got right now.

What's the evidence for honey, apples, and nuts?

I eat nuts daily, fruit (sometimes apples, not usually) daily, and honey rarely, just because I think the first two are great additions if you want a healthful diet and I'm not that into adding sweetener to things (personal preference, not health), but heck, I'd be open to actual evidence.
  • jimsessions8
    Everything I know I learned on the internet.i looked under antiviral foods and herbs I thought I'd try some of them for a week. I've lost 20 pounds and feel better
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Everything I know I learned on the internet.i looked under antiviral foods and herbs I thought I'd try some of them for a week. I've lost 20 pounds and feel better

Don't believe all the nonsense you read on the internet.