Can you lose weight by just eating really healthy?

For the past week and half I’ve been eating really healthy.Allot of fruits and vegetables and lean protein like chicken and also soup too on occasion with healthy cereal in the morning. I have also been portioning out cereal but other then that I haven’t been counting calories.i have been adding a little olive oil when sautéing my veggies but not allot .i haven’t noticed allot of difference on scale in the past week a lost 2 pounds but recently gained one pound , which is fustrating for me .However , my skin looks better and my anxiety has gotten allot better and my digestion is really good and I just feel better .i haven’t been really counting calories but eventually do you think I will lose weightBy the way I’m 28 year old female I’m 5’3 and weigh 176.5 pounds

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

You can lose weight just by eating healthier, if eating healthier causes you to eat less calories than your body uses. While some people find eating healthier naturally causes them to eat less calories, there are plenty of folks here who became overweight by eating what most people would consider a very healthy, clean diet that was still too high in calories.

Yep! This was me! I wish I knew this when I was younger.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited March 2020
    In addition to all the excellent points brought up, I will also weigh in :lol: on the expectations front!

A pound of true fat loss or true fat gain is not a single day's endeavor!

It takes 3500 Calories of energy imbalance to achieve.

Most non morbidly obese people are looking at a minimum average of 10 days or so per lb of true fat level change (target of 1lb a week plus a small degree of meandering)

Water weight can change a few lbs in a day. 3, 5, even 7+ lbs in a monthly cycle. What you see on your scale is only partially fat change

If you decide to lose weight without the added certainty of counting calories and weighing your food, don't do yourself the disservice of additionally engaging in unnecessarily large deficits for fear that the scale is not moving fast enough. Get a weight trend app and learn about your individual weight variations throughout the month too!

Most people view calorie counting as an overwhelming restriction. I even had a friend tell me yesterday that she thinks counting points is easier!

I found counting calories a liberating experience that allowed me to eat as much as I could while still having the certainty that I was meeting my goals.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Eating healthy shows on how healthy you look. You can be thin and look terrible, or a little overweight and look great. What about how your skin looks , your color looks and how about how when you feel good you seem to look better! This all comes from eating healthy. I’m pretty sure that on days that you got plenty of sleep and you know you ate good that you probably smiled more, and I bet people noticed! So don’t get hung up on how much you weigh. Confidence on how you look shows to everyone! People can look great at any weight! It’s more important to be healthy then thin! I notice how men are well kept, and women dress nice. Everyone can be beautiful!! As long as you feel good it will show!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

You can lose weight just by eating healthier, if eating healthier causes you to eat less calories than your body uses. While some people find eating healthier naturally causes them to eat less calories, there are plenty of folks here who became overweight by eating what most people would consider a very healthy, clean diet that was still too high in calories.

Yep! This was me! I wish I knew this when I was younger.

Me too! I mean, it was never perfect, but I think I ate "healthier" foods generally speaking than a lot of my peers, especially in my 20s. It just took a lot longer for me to make the calorie connection!

• Lightdrop
    Lightdrop Posts: 1 Member
    Maybe study up on intermittent fasting and timing of eating and getting a good look at when and what is sugar, Yes I love my carmel and it all.... The counting and tracking of your intake here gets you going even though it is time consuming it is amazing how we plop an abundant amount of food we perhaps ought not ingest!!! PS write on your belly every time you lose an increment of 10 pounds and take a picture of your current weight then aim for a lower 10 pound photo!!! I got to 300 lbs knocked off 40 of it so I had 4 x photos but then the Holiday season packed on an upward hefty rise so back to the weird not eating and 16 to 20 hour fasts every other day or whenever... I try not to eat until after 2pm and quit putting food in my mouth by 9 pm.
  • jlsjenni1992
    jlsjenni1992 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks everyone !