Overnight Oats:

LoveyChar
LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
Can I use quick oats? Can I boil the oats in a pot the night before and then they're ready as a cold breakfast (is this how it's supposed to work)? How do YOU make overnight oats?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2020
    Mine aren’t technically overnight oats since I cook them ahead of time. It’s supposed to work that you just chuck everything in a mason jar (usually quick oats or rolled oats) and the liquid is soaked up by the oats overnight, thus overnight oats. Grab your jar and you can either eat it cold or take the top off and pop it in the microwave for a hot breakfast.

However I use steel cut oats which take a little longer so I do them in my instant pot. I make five days’ worth at a time, using oats, sliced apples, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, and orange zest (which is the bomb! Seriously, if you like strong flavors and find oats bland, consider adding citrus zest to them). Sometimes cranberries. Sometimes canned pumpkin or pears or almonds. I use 2% milk for the protein boost but water or whatever milk you prefer also works. Lately I’ve been dumping cacao powder in which makes it a lot like a chocolate apple cobbler. The possibilities are infinite!

If you do it in a regular pot, keep an eye on it if you use milk, because it likes to boil over. That’s the main reason I use the instant pot. Once cooked it keeps just fine for a few days in the fridge.
  • LoveyChar
    I like the idea of throwing it in the mason jars and it's done. But the way you do it sounds even better. I love all of those flavor ideas and cooking suggestions, thank you! I'll probably try making it both ways and play with the flavors.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    I do overnight oats using quick oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and whatever seasonings/toppings I have on hand. I have been experimenting with adding protein powder, which goes okay but requires more liquid.

I've gotta try that instant pot recipe, sounds fantastic!
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2020
    I use quick oats. Turns out great. 1/3 cup of oats, half cup of almond milk, protein powder, flax, banana, blueberries and peanut butter. If I forget to do it over night, i can do it around 7and be able to eat it by 9. (Overnight oats are my second meal of Six)
  • LoveyChar
    I do overnight oats using quick oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and whatever seasonings/toppings I have on hand. I have been experimenting with adding protein powder, which goes okay but requires more liquid.

I've gotta try that instant pot recipe, sounds fantastic!

Thank you, I appreciate this!!!
  • LoveyChar
    I use quick oats. Turns out great. 1/3 cup of oats, half cup of almond milk, protein powder, flax, banana, blueberries and peanut butter. If I forget to do it over night, i can do it around 7and be able to eat it by 9. (Overnight oats are my second meal of Six)

I like the seed suggestions and I love peanut butter! Thank you!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't cook mine. I'll put quick oats or regular oats in my preferred form of milk (for me, it's oat) along with whatever I want to flavor it. I much prefer the texture of regular oats, but quick oats work too.
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I like the seed suggestions and I love peanut butter! Thank you!
    Welcome! I follow a vegan diet and omega 3s have become a big priority to me. I prefer flax meal because it mixes well.
  • LoveyChar
    I don't cook mine. I'll put quick oats or regular oats in my preferred form of milk (for me, it's oat) along with whatever I want to flavor it. I much prefer the texture of regular oats, but quick oats work too.

Thank you! I'll try a variety. Oat and hemp milk are two I have never tried, as of yet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My absolute favorite cold overnight oats is this:

1/2 cup cold coffee
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1.5 tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup oats

(makes 2 servings)

Mix it all together, in the morning put date syrup or sugar-free maple syrup on top and a dollop of whipped cream if you've got it. SO good. I've also heard of people making this with milk foam like a macchiato.
  • LoveyChar
    My absolute favorite cold overnight oats is this:

1/2 cup cold coffee
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1.5 tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup oats

(makes 2 servings)

Mix it all together, in the morning put date syrup or sugar-free maple syrup on top and a dollop of whipped cream if you've got it. SO good. I've also heard of people making this with milk foam like a macchiato.

Yum, this sounds delicious!!! Thank you!!! And I like that you combine milks. I love cow's milk plus it has protein and vitamins but I also enjoy almond milk and it's usually lower fat. I will give this a shot!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I use rolled oats and just toss it all into a container. I use a combination of milk and water plus whatever flavorings.
    My favorite is unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and a very small amount of brown sugar or honey. Sometimes I add peanut butter also. I have also done apples or carrots with walnuts and cinnamon.
  • LoveyChar
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I use rolled oats and just toss it all into a container. I use a combination of milk and water plus whatever flavorings.
    My favorite is unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and a very small amount of brown sugar or honey. Sometimes I add peanut butter also. I have also done apples or carrots with walnuts and cinnamon.

All kinds of variety! Hmmmm... Cocoa and peanut butter together sounds delicious! Thank you!!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Mine aren’t technically overnight oats since I cook them ahead of time. It’s supposed to work that you just chuck everything in a mason jar (usually quick oats or rolled oats) and the liquid is soaked up by the oats overnight, thus overnight oats. Grab your jar and you can either eat it cold or take the top off and pop it in the microwave for a hot breakfast.

However I use steel cut oats which take a little longer so I do them in my instant pot. I make five days’ worth at a time, using oats, sliced apples, walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, and orange zest (which is the bomb! Seriously, if you like strong flavors and find oats bland, consider adding citrus zest to them). Sometimes cranberries. Sometimes canned pumpkin or pears or almonds. I use 2% milk for the protein boost but water or whatever milk you prefer also works. Lately I’ve been dumping cacao powder in which makes it a lot like a chocolate apple cobbler. The possibilities are infinite!

If you do it in a regular pot, keep an eye on it if you use milk, because it likes to boil over. That’s the main reason I use the instant pot. Once cooked it keeps just fine for a few days in the fridge.

I prefer steel cut oats as well, but I use my crockpot. I’m going to try the orange zest, maybe stir in some mini chocolate chips.

I tried regular oats in overnight oatmeal (steel cut didn’t work for me) but I didn’t like it. To me, it tastes weird, kind of raw. I like the creaminess that comes with actually cooking the oatmeal no matter which kind of oats I use.
  • DiscoBetty99
    DiscoBetty99 Posts: 3 Member
    I use rolled oats with 150g of fat free Greek yogurt, and some cinnamon.
    For toppings I usually use blueberries or diced and heated apple.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    I mix up old fashioned oats, chia, flax seed, tumeric, cinnamon, and milk the night before and in the morning I put it in the microwave for a minute (I know but I like it a little warm) and add peanut butter.
  • LoveyChar

I prefer steel cut oats as well, but I use my crockpot. I’m going to try the orange zest, maybe stir in some mini chocolate chips.

I tried regular oats in overnight oatmeal (steel cut didn’t work for me) but I didn’t like it. To me, it tastes weird, kind of raw. I like the creaminess that comes with actually cooking the oatmeal no matter which kind of oats I use.

Thank you! I might try my Crock-Pot, no instant pot because I don't have one. I, too, like the creaminess of cooked oats but I have never eaten them in the customary overnight method so I have no comparison.
  • LoveyChar
    I use rolled oats with 150g of fat free Greek yogurt, and some cinnamon.
    For toppings I usually use blueberries or diced and heated apple.

Thank you!!!
  • LoveyChar
    papayahed wrote: »
    I mix up old fashioned oats, chia, flax seed, tumeric, cinnamon, and milk the night before and in the morning I put it in the microwave for a minute (I know but I like it a little warm) and add peanut butter.

Sounds good, thank you!!!