C25k Group starting March 2020

merph518
merph518 Posts: 702 Member
Last time I went through the program (August 2019), I was a little disappointed that there wasn't an active thread for it here. I'm thinking about going back through it soon, with a focus more on speed this time around... and I figured I'd try making a thread myself!

Who's getting started in March? Feel free to post about your progress and experience here.

Cheers,
Merph

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Hi! I am active in C25K. I started a few weeks ago. I am aiming to run a 5 miler. So far, I have run 2 miles. But it has been super icy here in MA, so my training has been mostly cross-training to get my heart and muscles stronger.
  • merph518
    Nice! Feel free to talk about your runs here -- being a couple weeks off doesn't matter at all.

I'm planning on starting back up pretty soon -- basically when it's light out at 6am or there's no chance of ice on the roads due to warm weather. The former should happen pretty soon as I think we have daylight by 6:15-6:20 right now.

I miss running outside. Treadmills really don't do it for me.
  • merph518
    Got a treadmill run in tonight, two ten minute jogging intervals. I haven't really ran much for the past couple months, so I'm really glad I haven't lost too much ability. I could have gone longer but didn't want to push myself too much right out of the gate.
  • ladyzherra
    I hear you about treadmill running.

Which distance do you tend to like to run? Like, what is your sweet spot distance -- a distance that feels satisfying but not overkill?
  • merph518
    edited February 2020
    When I finished the program before, I was aiming for about a half hour of running, which was right about, or just short of 5k depending on the day.

I've got a bit of work to do to get back there, though. I haven't run a full 5k distance since November... and I want to work on my speed a little.

I just signed up for a 5k race on 4/25, and am going to go back through the program between then and now to prepare. I'll likely not start at week 1 though... maybe week 4 or 5.

You?
  • merph518
    On Saturday, I got in a 20 minute run without stopping, which is the equivalent of Week 5 Day 3. I think I'll restart the program from there, since it wasn't a stretch to reach that duration.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    Who's getting started in March? Feel free to post about your progress and experience here.
    I already started, but I stalled out when I hit week 3. Such a big bump up in the cardio from W2 to W3... I think I'll repeat week 2 this week.
  • merph518
    Wolfger wrote: »
    I already started, but I stalled out when I hit week 3. Such a big bump up in the cardio from W2 to W3... I think I'll repeat week 2 this week.

Repeat as much as you feel the need to. I definitely did when I first did the program back in August. Whenever I felt like I struggled too much, or was really sore after a run, I would repeat the previous run.
  • merph518
    edited March 2020
    I went to the gym last night and ran W6D1 on the treadmill. I didn't give myself 2 days of rest between W5 and W6, but I really wanted to sync up my running schedule to my lifting one, and it felt worth it.

My run last night wasn't overly difficult but I felt a bit more ragged after it than I did for W5D3. I pushed my speed a little, though, which is much more tiring on a treadmill where you have to keep up with the speed you set.

Looking at the weather for the next week, it looks like it'll be consistently warmer in the foreseeable future. I'm very excited about the prospect of getting back outside to run. I'm hoping that tomorrow will work out, even if I have to start the run using my headlamp (I get up at 6am).
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    This is my 2nd time (okay, who's kidding, this is like my 10th time) doing C25K. I did finish it in 2018 and felt so proud of myself. I'm back at it again and just finished W5D2 this morning. And I am actually looking forward to W5D3.

I live in Wisconsin in the country so my runs are on the treadmill. It's getting a little old/tired and this morning I noticed it smelled a little like something was burning. I will have to figure out what's up with that. I secretly wouldn't mind getting a new one. I actually don't mind the treadmill. I watch some trail running videos on youtube as I go, and listen to some good music, and the time flies.

@Merpfh518 are you going to continue on with the 10k program? I downloaded it this morning...I plan to.
  • merph518
    Link2Life wrote: »

@merph518 are you going to continue on with the 10k program? I downloaded it this morning...I plan to.

I'm not sure that the 10k program really fits the time I have available right now. I like to run before work and I'm pushing it to get to work on time after spending ~40 minutes running, cooling off and then getting ready. I suppose I could get up earlier than 6 am, but that will take a big chunk out of my evening free time as I'll need to go to bed earlier.

We'll see. :)
  • merph518
    Completed W6D2 yesterday afternoon, outside. It felt so good to get back outside running now that the weather is a bit warmer. While I was out there I felt like I was kind of slow, and I didn't push myself super hard for speed as I'm still getting used to running regularly. To my surprise when I got home and compared it against the same run my first time through the program (9/24), my pace had increased almost 2 minutes/mile worth.

I guess the 29 lbs I've lost since September have made a difference, and I'm not as bad off as I thought. I still have about two months before my first 5k race, so I'm hoping to make a lot of progress between now and then.
  • merph518
    W6D3 done this morning before work. Was feeling a bit tired by the end of it but it went fine otherwise.
  • ladyzherra
    So, I went for a 4 mile walk two days ago, and yesterday I literally could not walk because my glutes were so sore! I had to have my husband get our daughter from the bus stop because just the thought of walking up a small hill made me cringe. Oh my goodness. It was surprising how much my lower body hurt. I guess I need to do longer walks as part of my training from now on!
  • merph518
    I've been keeping up with my running, but not posting here as it is disappointingly dead :\

But anyway, I completed week 8 day 2 yesterday, running 28 minutes at a pace of 12:00/mi. My pace is a good minute/mile faster than the last time I went through the program and I've been very happy with that.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I've been keeping up with my running, but not posting here as it is disappointingly dead :\

But anyway, I completed week 8 day 2 yesterday, running 28 minutes at a pace of 12:00/mi. My pace is a good minute/mile faster than the last time I went through the program and I've been very happy with that.

Well done!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    I am hoping this group is quiet because it was winter, and now because of the world situation... Hope everyone is able to get miles in somehow with social distancing etc. Unfortunately for me Ms. Winter doesn't believe in social distancing and is hanging around a bit longer then usual... we are expecting something ridiculous like 15-20cm of snow in the next 24 hours and lows in the -20 range!

Stay Safe friends! <3
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    This is something like my eleven-teenth time going through the program. Sometimes I finish, most times I don’t but giving it yet another go around.

Started first week on March and just did W5D1 this morning. Week 5 is when this thing gets real so this is where I usually start struggling. I’ve never ever been an endurance kind of guy (great sprinter back in the day) so jogging for distance/time is a real challenge for me. I don’t like running but I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I actually complete each day of the program, if that makes sense?

W5D2 is going to be a real hurdle so we’ll see in 2 days if I can do it. Might be repeating W5D1 a time or two... 😉
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    So not sure how but I actually got through W5D2 this morning. Kinda surprised to be honest but pleasantly surprised. I unfortunately saw what W5D3 has in store :neutral: . Yikes...
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @briscogun when is W5D3??