What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    You don't have to eat 3 squares meals a day to be healthy 😏

I agree with this, but I also think you CAN eat 3 square meals per day and be healthy.
    I've actually had way more people claiming the opposite...that you need to eat like 6-8 mini meals or whatever.

Although I personally could never have just 1 super big meal per day, I'd also say you could be healthy doing that too!

• seltzermint555
    Smoothies and smoothie bowls are not satisfying in the slightest

YES! I agree with this completely.

I like smoothies just fine, but I don't like them as meals. I tend to make or buy low calorie smoothies that are more of a beverage option than a meal. I've had the big heavier smoothies a few times for breakfast or lunch and they did leave me feeling full but not satisfied at all...more like I'd quickly swallowed liquid to create a lump in my belly that was just strange to me. Not my thing, I guess.

As for smoothie bowls, I just side eye that whole concept. It's not for me. My friend and her daughter live for acai smoothie bowls - they are obsessed - and to me it's just like a fruity dessert that is okay.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I have a spinach smoothie that I find satisfying, but it's about expectations. Night cap on a warm night? Very satisfying. Meal replacement? Heck no.
  • seltzermint555
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

AGREE! I find them to be a waste of calories.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I find the smoothies I make very filling and when I have them for breakfast I am no more hungry before lunch than any other day, but I totally get that for some people drinking cals just isn't as filling.

Smoothie bowls are weirdly unappealing to me even though I can't think of a good reason why. (My smoothies tend to be so voluminous it would be a nightmare to consume them by spoon given the time required, but that's not why.)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Some ppl get filled by a tbsp of peanut butter... what do I know.

I guess one can make one less filling than others...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Some ppl get filled by a tbsp of peanut butter... what do I know.

at that point you might as well make it a milkshake
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I have a spinach smoothie that I find satisfying, but it's about expectations. Night cap on a warm night? Very satisfying. Meal replacement? Heck no.

Yes, I love a smoothie as *part* of a meal, but it will never replace a meal for me.
  • pancakerunner
    Oreos are not worth a bite for me. Calories for taste rewards are horrible here. Even before I cared about calories I never ever cared for Oreos.

n32o3keccg83.jpg

I DO however love these
  • pancakerunner
    hummus can co to H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS
  • seltzermint555
    Oreos are not worth a bite for me. Calories for taste rewards are horrible here. Even before I cared about calories I never ever cared for Oreos.

I love Oreos with milk, but the idea of eating an Oreo "dry" (no dunking) and getting it in my teeth makes me seriously want to start crying right now.
  • pancakerunner

I love Oreos with milk, but the idea of eating an Oreo "dry" (no dunking) and getting it in my teeth makes me seriously want to start crying right now.

I like crushed oreos... but yeah, whole oreos: what is the hype/point?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Not a big fan of regular ones but the carrot cake and pistachio ones are soooo good.

I’d never eat a plain dry original Oreo.... yet they are so popular
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

Not a big fan of regular ones but the carrot cake and pistachio ones are soooo good.

I’d never eat a plain dry original Oreo.... yet they are so popular

And I'm the opposite: I generally don't like dry food made wet: for me, no dunking of donuts or cookies of any variet, and I dislike the "gloppiness" of oatmeal, and so, bake oatmeal into muffins, pancakes, etc., so I can enjoy the taste without the texture.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    hummus can co to H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS

Have you HAD homemade hummus though? From a mom or grandma's recipe? Just hand it allllll over, thanks.

My unpopular opinion: pickled turnips are amazeballs.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I too am not a fan of Oreos...I never got the appeal of these dry 'things'...however I do remember once having some sort of white chocolate truffle using the Golden Oreos and they were very yummy.