Speed walking-swollen hands

2»

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Fefi eteky check with doc. Also I find clenching hands And pumping arms helps
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    I hate when this happens! Sometimes I have to walk with my hands above my head 🤣
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    This happens to me walking or hiking but not running, and seems to be due to the elevation (or not) of my hands. I can alleviate it walking if I raise them higher for a bit, and it always goes away quite quickly. I figure it's just gravity.
  • onehottomatodmz
    onehottomatodmz Posts: 26 Member
    Wow, I have my hands elevated and it still happens. I have tried everything and it doesn’t seem to help. It takes a few hours to get back to normal also. Time to ask the doctor
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    I trained to do a 56km walk called the Great Lake walk. I would walk with my arms at an angle to keep my hands higher than normal walking. I would do upwards arm exercises to music. I loved the song "ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no mountain low enough and I would act out the lyrics. While it didn't alleviate the swollen hands, it sure help.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I’ve been back to speed walking for an hour and a half five times a week. It’s really great exercise for me but my hands are swelling really bad . It takes around 3 hours for the swelling to decrease. It doesn’t matter if I have my hands down or if I have my arms bent at the elbow the swelling happens . It’s really painful and I can’t bend my fingers when it happens. Does this happen to anyone else? I also should say I have a congenital heart defect

When I go on long walks or hikes I try to constantly squeeze my hands into a fist and release. It really helps. I often have a hiking pole so it is automatic with my right but have to consciously do it with my left hand too.