Help, I keep eating under 1200 calories

milall
milall Posts: 3 Member
I'm trying to lose about 5kg and I'm on the 1200 calories diet, however, I can't seem to go over a 1000 a day. I'm also on IF so I'm eating only for 6,7 hours in a day so I usually only eat two meals. After I'm done eating I'm really full and yet I can never achieve my calorie goal. Should I force myself into eating more or is it fine If I'm feeling fine?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    What's keeping you from eating on your plan?
  • milall
    milall Posts: 3 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also with only 5kg to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.25 kilo per week which would likely have you at a higher calorie target than 1200.

Are you working out as well?

Why are you doing IF?

I'm doing IF because it feels good. I can't eat after waking up so spontaneously I started skipping breakfast and now my body is so used to it that I can't imagine having breakfast. Also IF really helped me with insulin resistance, my blood test results improved so much that I'm finally of medication after 4 years of constant usage.
    I want to keep doing IF but still hit my calorie goal which is why I need some tips and some healthy food recommendations that are high in calories.
  • EnterNihil
    EnterNihil Posts: 67 Member
    i also find it impossible to eat over 1200 while reaching my macros 50:20:30, but my suggestions would be veg oil, hummus, nut butters.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    How are your macros coming at the end of the day. Are you ending up low in fat? Do you have any restrictions? Switching low fat for full dairt or making sure you are using oils in you cooking can be an easy way to add calories. On such a low calorie diet getting proper nutrition can be tricky. Fiber fat and protein should be prioritized. Nuts can be an easy way to add calories in a small volume.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Can someone please link the “a list of calorie dense foods” thread?

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Calorie dense foods as others have suggested. Doesn’t take much and calories add up very quickly. IE: 1 ounce of raw walnuts (about 14 walnut halves) equal 185 calories. 1 ounce cheddar cheese equal 113 calories. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter equal 188 calories. Any of these items could be a small snack in between your two meals.
    How full do you feel the 17 or 18 hours you are fasting? Maybe you could lessen your fasting time so you could easily fit in at least minimum recommended calories each day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    milall wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also with only 5kg to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.25 kilo per week which would likely have you at a higher calorie target than 1200.

Are you working out as well?

Why are you doing IF?

I'm doing IF because it feels good. I can't eat after waking up so spontaneously I started skipping breakfast and now my body is so used to it that I can't imagine having breakfast. Also IF really helped me with insulin resistance, my blood test results improved so much that I'm finally of medication after 4 years of constant usage.
    I want to keep doing IF but still hit my calorie goal which is why I need some tips and some healthy food recommendations that are high in calories.

Are you eating fruit? Try adding dried fruit.

Smoothies can bump up your calories - full fat yogurt and banana.
  • Dayannahernandez30
    Dayannahernandez30 Posts: 30 Member
    I’m under 1200 a day
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I know this is off-topic, but:

@kshama2001 reposted the 1% of bodyweight per week rule, which I think is only part of the story. I would add to that rule that it's difficult to omit more than 25% of your TDEE for extended periods. Sometimes, the advice corresponds pretty closely but their are cases where it doesn't. In any case, these rules are limits, not guidance.

For example, my "sedentary" TDEE is ~2000kcals/day, so I cut at a target of no less than 1500kcals per day.

But, any deficit is still a deficit and will cause weight loss over time. You don't have to have any particular deficit and your don't have to hit the same deficit every day.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    Please don’t force yourself. Not all women are the same height and weight. It’s not generally recommended for the AVERAGE adult woman to eat fewer than 1200 calories, but at my height and weight, I can eat 1,000 on a sedentary day without endangering my health. On some days, I stuff myself with fewer than that. Strangers don’t know enough about you to advise you. They don’t know your personal stats and should stop advising you as if they do. What we can do is give you food recommendations. You can also click on our food diaries and add us as friends. :)

Personally, I like trail mix if you specifically want to add calories., or natural peanut butter on a whole grain bagel (I like the Dave’s Killer Bread brand). Or a breakfast shake like the Carnation high protein. Or a Starbuck’s cappuccino with mocha added, with soy milk for extra protein, or full fat milk for more calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Ice cream FTW