Just started Couch to 5k at ~300 lbs, and am realizing how out of shape I am

I really excited to see what progress I can make by the end of these 8 weeks of training, but oh man is it going to be hard. I've always been overweight, but used to play baseball which kept my ability to jog for more than a minute of a time in tact. The first day of C25K consists of 8 cycles of jogging for 60 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds.

After the first minute of jogging I was winded to the point where I doubted if I could complete the 8 cycles. By the 4th cycle I felt like quitting. By the 6th cycle I felt like I was going to pass out.

I ended up properly making the 8 cycles, but can't believe how hard something seeming so simple was for me.

I am going to continue the program, and look forward to see what progress I can make, but wow am I out of shape.

Has any one else on here experience the same thing? Is anyone else on here currently on the same boat as I am?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    welcome to the joy of running
    go slow. slower than you think you need to
    running is a mental game. your mind will tell you that you can't, but you can
    follow the plan. some people like to go further or run more often. follow the plan.
    i also highly recommend getting fitted for shoes. at your local running store. they typically do a gait analysis often for free. it's worth the money. a pair of shoes are cheaper than dr visits and pt due to injury. plus local stores are a great resource. they might have workshops, details of local groups, a beginners running group, and info on good places to run
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Baby steps. Just keep at it. It gets easier each time, even if you don't notice it. You are doing great!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    I just started my inaugural C25K run last week. My knees are SORE! Did / does anyone else have that problem? It's been hard to do anything for this week since (going up and down the stairs carrying my little boy, namely.)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2020
    YAYJules wrote: »
    I just started my inaugural C25K run last week. My knees are SORE! Did / does anyone else have that problem? It's been hard to do anything for this week since (going up and down the stairs carrying my little boy, namely.)

How old are your shoes? Old shoes give no support to knees and can cause them to be sore.
    If possible, get a pair of shoes fit for your feet as everyone runs slightly different and the shoe can correct how your foot lands, making it easier on legs & knees. A Running Store will be able to determine which shoe you need.

When my knees or calves start to feel tired or achey, I know it's time to buy new shoes.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member

Yes shoes make a difference. Get fitted at a running store. I also had knee trouble until I took extra rest days and slowed down (a lot) on the run segments.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    The bad news is that it is worse at the beginning. The good news is that it gets better with time and work. Keep on keeping on, slowly and gently increasing you distance and it gets better.
  • VivolaJanet
    VivolaJanet Posts: 12 Member
    These posts have inspired me to try again. I've had breathing issues during aerobic exercise, since childhood. Therefore it isn't weight related. However, now that I'm 52 and over 200 pounds, my current lack of conditioning doesn't help.

Anyway, I've tried and failed at least 5 times. Going to try again and apply the above suggestions.

Good luck to all who are working on a 5k. Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for your feedback, I'm looking forward to seeing improvement over the coming weeks.

I spent about 4 weeks walking at least an hour every other day to prepare for the program.

Good advice one repeating the runs that I struggle to complete. I'll get comfortable slowing down my pace while running, and keep pushing through the program.

Congrats on your accomplishments with following the program continuing from there.

Yes don't be ashamed if you repeat weeks or runs. I've been re-doing C25K since December and have been on week 7 for about 3 weeks now. As long as you keep getting out there and do what you can you will improve slowly.
  • midgetgrl72280
    These posts have inspired me to try again. I've had breathing issues during aerobic exercise, since childhood. Therefore it isn't weight related. However, now that I'm 52 and over 200 pounds, my current lack of conditioning doesn't help.

Anyway, I've tried and failed at least 5 times. Going to try again and apply the above suggestions.

Good luck to all who are working on a 5k. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Me too! Used to feel like I was breathing in icicles. Running with this program has actually helped soo much. I don't have any issues that I had a child when it comes to breathing during exercise.
  • midgetgrl72280

Yes shoes make a difference. Get fitted at a running store. I also had knee trouble until I took extra rest days and slowed down (a lot) on the run segments.

shoes & slowing down worked for me when I first started!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

Keep trying. I was in my 50s when I started C25K. I'd never run before and was not in good physical condition either. You can do this. Just take it slow but be consistent and run 3 times a week.
  • VivolaJanet
    VivolaJanet Posts: 12 Member
    How is C25K going? I started day 1 yesterday and it really kicked my butt. I got the usual tomato face that seems to last for about an hour after finishing. (The picture attached is a half hour after doing cool down.)
    I've decided to take the advice and just repeat days until I'm physically ready to move up. Going to reward myself with fitted running shoes if I do 6 sessions in 2 weeks.