Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Two excellent sources

foolforcarbos
foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8GUIBNKnT1M

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nxyxcTZccsE

The second video is only 1 hour till they get to the Q&A and the lecture is over. But for the answer is a calorie a calorie, go the 1 hour and 35 minutes and listen to the answer of that question. This may surprise some, here.

These, again, are links to 2 excellent videos that explain why some make the choices they do. While I recently started changing what went in my mouth, and my 2 week results, 16 lbs in 2 weeks lost, I was told that I was losing water, and may get it back and that I hadn't really lost anything. That was on these message boards.

I am of the belief that while some may have been water, I lost a lot of visceral fat and that there are two kinds of fat to lose. Yes, I think the subcutaneous fat may be an issue, as well as the last of that visceral fat that tends to stick to the belly, but think about this. If we are lowering carbs and preventing the body from storing the wrong type of fats, and we are eating less calories and if we are not hitting our macros in the fat area, but maybe a little heavy, for now, on protein, then while it is true we are teaching, and providing, the body a fat source to use as energy, we are also going to start burning the visceral fat that our body has been storing and sitting there doing nothing. That is why one tends to start losing weight in the face, the stomach area, and somewhat the thighs.

I'm not discouraged that already instead of finding support, I found resistance to my results. That's fine. Sure, I said some was water, but that would go along with the same thoughts and guidelines that one should eat low calorie foods, lean meats, whole grains, etc.. In other words, old wrong information.

Why does an apple have so much fiber? to stop the body from absorbing all those sugars! Know what you eat, and why you eat it. Yes, I eat apples. I drink whole milk, still, today. Most people have a huge heart in helping others lose weight, but not everyone is a nutritionist who has the ability to explain the correct answers, many of which we have only really started to understand in the last 5 years with the advent of processed foods.

Replies

• foolforcarbos
    kimny72 ~ Glad your are happy with your diet, and results. I didn't say that the advent of the processed food were in the last 5 years, but a better understanding and admitting to what those processed food are, and can do to one's body, over time. The truth is, I can trace the Keto diet back, thus far, to 1915 when doctors prescribed it as a remedy to special patients with diabetes. And following from there, when processed foods starting to come into play, took over, and then create havoc for a lot of folks. I just move away from the Medical Center area of San Antonio, and have lots of friends, including some of the best cardiologists, that I was talking with about weight and diet, even though at that time, I was eating all day long, whatever I wanted.

I also didn't say I advocate low carbs. On my first thread to post, I stated that I was in Alaska eating Mt House dehydrated foods that were full of carbs, mainly pastas, and that I was active enough to lose so much weight every year, I had to actually pound down 50 Snicker's bars a week to try to keep weight on. (Space in a kayak is very limited). I would end the seasons wearing kids shirts, and at 45, 46 years old, it was quite the task to find kids shirts that didn't have odd designs, meant for kids.

For that fact, people who tried to reach the north pole have done so on a mixture of butter and sugar as their diet. So I know there are all kinds of way to eat what you want, and look good, or endure and be out there, on a grand adventure. I did that for 15 years.

I even said I drink whole milk, eat apples, have cookies from time to time, eat Dave's Killer Bread just for the seeds, etc.. Especially right before kayaking. So I am not saying your way is wrong, nor unacceptable. It's simply the best way for you. I agree.

I just said those are two good links, and guess I should have said for Keto lifestyles. Guess I didn't know I was amongst a wider audience. As for phychod787, I'm not getting into the whole judgement about who may or may not be a zealot at this point. I kept it simple. If y'all feel these aren't good links for people looking for encouragement, or worth discussing, but instead you want to pen why the aren't but not really say anything conclusive, then okay, I'm out.

As for NovusDies, again, I understand some was water in the first week. But I am also saying there was a lot of visceral fat lost already and that my body is starting to tone. I was eating, just over a few weeks ago, 500+ grams of carbs a day, and over 2,400 calories, and all junk food. TV dinners, pizzas, chips, candy, whatever I felt. I could eat all day, anything, and my weight, or what some may refer to as a set point, kept me around 170-174 lbs until the last year. I saw it was inching more into 174-177 lbs. At 180 pounds, I go from overweight, to obese. Again, could eat ice cream, 4 bowls of cereal, sugar coated cereals and big bowls at each sitting (breakfast and supper), and then Banquet Mega Bowls for lunch or supper, followed by a few p&j sandwiches if I got hungry at night. If I wasn't eating Mega bowls, it was burritos, Mexican dinners at the local restaurant, greasy hamburgers, whatever.

I have also spent spring/summers in Alaska 2007-2010) and would drop, at that time, a usual start of 165-168 lbs, down to 140 pretty quick (2-3 weeks) and by the end of summer, going into fall/winter, would be down to 120 lbs and trying to keep weight on. Sure, at first it was kayaking long days, living on the shorelines, and circumnavigating all of S.E. Alaska, but eventually, I got a boat and could travel 32-35 nautical miles a day under power, and then could use either the motor/dinghy or the kayak to explore, mountain climb, backpack (50-60 lbs of camera gear) and do my job. But I was still active.

There was no low carb about it. It was 4 full meals from Mt House every day, then finally lots of candy bars.

But I'll just leave it at that. I don't need to post thought, resources, successes, or possible failures here. I was initially thanking myfitnesspal for the website services they provide in helping me calculate my intake and keep an eye on what I was eating, and that was my first post. And stated I lost 16 lbs in 2 weeks. While I do not believe, as NovousDies, that all calories are the same, they simply are not, I do believe that I didn't say I was taking any shortcuts - and that I understand, as I get closer to the ideal weight, it may be tougher to hit my goals. But the truth is if I were to kayak, as an example, 4-5 hours all summer every evening, maybe not even that much, I would burn right on down to 125 lbs. before my birthday, in July. I could still eat carbs, candy bars, whatever. Just easier in Alaska, as an example, when its cold constantly versus the heat in Texas. Can't burn calories trying to stay warm here. Blooming hot here.

But I work now as a cabinet maker. I may set my own hours, but I can't kayak every day. So while I intend to drink whole milk, eat apples, and count calories, I may not fully ever be in ketosis, according to someone who feels they are an expert at that, so skipping that debate. But I will lose weight, tone muscles, and need to buy new clothes, again. I don't do gyms. I don't go hungry. I don't kill myself over this, and I simply thought it may be okay to post a few links. Take them for what they're worth.

As for how many people, kimny72, wrote that I was just losing water, about everyone. How many just said congrats on losing weight, without the BUT.... blah blah blah - none. Everyone has to say something besides congrats. Now I know. Don't need to post. But thanks for your opinions.

Lastly, again, congrats to every single one of you who is where you want to be, by doing what feels best, and looking what is your ideal weight. I think that's great. Don't take it personal. I dropped just about everyone off FB as I was tired that I could never post without somebody or group of, having to put their spin on things. Anyway, everyone have a great summer. Ciao.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    kimny72 ~ Glad your are happy with your diet, and results. I didn't say that the advent of the processed food were in the last 5 years, but a better understanding and admitting to what those processed food are, and can do to one's body, over time. The truth is, I can trace the Keto diet back, thus far, to 1915 when doctors prescribed it as a remedy to special patients with diabetes. And following from there, when processed foods starting to come into play, took over, and then create havoc for a lot of folks. I just move away from the Medical Center area of San Antonio, and have lots of friends, including some of the best cardiologists, that I was talking with about weight and diet, even though at that time, I was eating all day long, whatever I wanted.

I also didn't say I advocate low carbs. On my first thread to post, I stated that I was in Alaska eating Mt House dehydrated foods that were full of carbs, mainly pastas, and that I was active enough to lose so much weight every year, I had to actually pound down 50 Snicker's bars a week to try to keep weight on. (Space in a kayak is very limited). I would end the seasons wearing kids shirts, and at 45, 46 years old, it was quite the task to find kids shirts that didn't have odd designs, meant for kids.

For that fact, people who tried to reach the north pole have done so on a mixture of butter and sugar as their diet. So I know there are all kinds of way to eat what you want, and look good, or endure and be out there, on a grand adventure. I did that for 15 years.

I even said I drink whole milk, eat apples, have cookies from time to time, eat Dave's Killer Bread just for the seeds, etc.. Especially right before kayaking. So I am not saying your way is wrong, nor unacceptable. It's simply the best way for you. I agree.

I just said those are two good links, and guess I should have said for Keto lifestyles. Guess I didn't know I was amongst a wider audience. As for phychod787, I'm not getting into the whole judgement about who may or may not be a zealot at this point. I kept it simple. If y'all feel these aren't good links for people looking for encouragement, or worth discussing, but instead you want to pen why the aren't but not really say anything conclusive, then okay, I'm out.

As for NovusDies, again, I understand some was water in the first week. But I am also saying there was a lot of visceral fat lost already and that my body is starting to tone. I was eating, just over a few weeks ago, 500+ grams of carbs a day, and over 2,400 calories, and all junk food. TV dinners, pizzas, chips, candy, whatever I felt. I could eat all day, anything, and my weight, or what some may refer to as a set point, kept me around 170-174 lbs until the last year. I saw it was inching more into 174-177 lbs. At 180 pounds, I go from overweight, to obese. Again, could eat ice cream, 4 bowls of cereal, sugar coated cereals and big bowls at each sitting (breakfast and supper), and then Banquet Mega Bowls for lunch or supper, followed by a few p&j sandwiches if I got hungry at night. If I wasn't eating Mega bowls, it was burritos, Mexican dinners at the local restaurant, greasy hamburgers, whatever.

I have also spent spring/summers in Alaska 2007-2010) and would drop, at that time, a usual start of 165-168 lbs, down to 140 pretty quick (2-3 weeks) and by the end of summer, going into fall/winter, would be down to 120 lbs and trying to keep weight on. Sure, at first it was kayaking long days, living on the shorelines, and circumnavigating all of S.E. Alaska, but eventually, I got a boat and could travel 32-35 nautical miles a day under power, and then could use either the motor/dinghy or the kayak to explore, mountain climb, backpack (50-60 lbs of camera gear) and do my job. But I was still active.

There was no low carb about it. It was 4 full meals from Mt House every day, then finally lots of candy bars.

But I'll just leave it at that. I don't need to post thought, resources, successes, or possible failures here. I was initially thanking myfitnesspal for the website services they provide in helping me calculate my intake and keep an eye on what I was eating, and that was my first post. And stated I lost 16 lbs in 2 weeks. While I do not believe, as NovousDies, that all calories are the same, they simply are not, I do believe that I didn't say I was taking any shortcuts - and that I understand, as I get closer to the ideal weight, it may be tougher to hit my goals. But the truth is if I were to kayak, as an example, 4-5 hours all summer every evening, maybe not even that much, I would burn right on down to 125 lbs. before my birthday, in July. I could still eat carbs, candy bars, whatever. Just easier in Alaska, as an example, when its cold constantly versus the heat in Texas. Can't burn calories trying to stay warm here. Blooming hot here.

But I work now as a cabinet maker. I may set my own hours, but I can't kayak every day. So while I intend to drink whole milk, eat apples, and count calories, I may not fully ever be in ketosis, according to someone who feels they are an expert at that, so skipping that debate. But I will lose weight, tone muscles, and need to buy new clothes, again. I don't do gyms. I don't go hungry. I don't kill myself over this, and I simply thought it may be okay to post a few links. Take them for what they're worth.

As for how many people, kimny72, wrote that I was just losing water, about everyone. How many just said congrats on losing weight, without the BUT.... blah blah blah - none. Everyone has to say something besides congrats. Now I know. Don't need to post. But thanks for your opinions.

Lastly, again, congrats to every single one of you who is where you want to be, by doing what feels best, and looking what is your ideal weight. I think that's great. Don't take it personal. I dropped just about everyone off FB as I was tired that I could never post without somebody or group of, having to put their spin on things. Anyway, everyone have a great summer. Ciao.

If you had stated that these videos might be interesting for someone looking into a lower carb lifestyle and was looking for a film that opposes "Forks Over Knifes" or the "Game Changers", I would have said sure. Though you states these were "excellent resources" for "why" people eat things. This i would disagree and state again. "Food documentaries are usually heavily biased and tend to state some research and leave others out that disagree with their message." As for Lustig, I dont completely disagree with him. Though is a "white hatter" imho. I think he means well, but is not in touch with all the data. Not like the ultimate in low carb zealotry Gary Tau.. oh no! If I say his name it gives him power!
  • foolforcarbos
    To me, a resource isn't an endorsement per se, but just another good resource. One can buy into it, adapt it, or disagree with it.

Whomever joined the lecturer during the Q&A part, I disagreed with on a lot of things. In fact, I skipped over that part. When he was talking.

As for the title, sorry, didn't know I needed to be more descriptive into what type of videos, low carbs, I put up on the boards. But none shall follow.

I have a feeling some who have commented, didn't even watch either. But who knows.

During the first video, Melanie McGrice is definitely one I don't see eye to eye. She's old school, you can't do this without professional guidance, i.e... you need me to go along with you on your journey. Anyways... have a great summer.

:)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    Not sure about most of this or the desire to post videos or what Alaska has to do with the price of rice in China.

Yes. When you exercise all day and have to carry your own food instead of driving thorough the drive through every smoke break, then yes, you will have a large deficit and lose a lot of weight.

What's the hiking trail that takes months to finish and how many people who do so don't lose weight?

As to losing x lbs during the first two weeks of a deficit the are a couple of incredibly friendly and necessary reminders to people who may otherwise end up with screwed up expectations.

First is that it is very likely to have less food in gut, less glycogen, less sodium and drop extra water weight.

No, you don't have to train your fat to lose it.

You use cheques or cash to spend (fat or carbs to fuel your activity) and your bank account will reduce or increase the same, based on your balance of extra cheques or cash or money orders you deposit (energy balance achieved based on the fat, carbs, or protein you eat)

Initial changes are different because of water weight variation. Long term changes are based on energy balance.

Video or no video.

This takes nothing from your win. It might help when the numbers slow. It might help if you eat extra carbs and see a huge weight spike and think the world came to an end when all you're dealing with is water weight changes you had previously borrowed