Feeling discouraged

alisampm
alisampm Posts: 182 Member
I officially hit the 10 pounds lost mark today and instead of feeling excited about it I feel really discouraged.

How in the world did I let it get this? I’ve lost these same pounds before.

There is really no visual change.

There is still so far to go.

Discouraged.

Replies

• SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    alisampm wrote: »
    I officially hit the 10 pounds lost mark today and instead of feeling excited about it I feel really discouraged.

Discouraged.

Since you are losing, keep doing what are doing and try not to give up on yourself. I found a similar thread in the community to share with you. Hopefully this will kind of encourage you and assure you that this is normal and there is hope. Please see link below.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/166655/10-pounds-lost-and-not-noticing

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    It took me awhile to notice a difference too. Are your clothes any looser? I agree with pictures and measurements to help realize a difference in your body. It does seem like it takes forever but remember 10lbs ago how much you wanted to lose weight. You've taken a lot of stress off your body with those 10lbs! The best thing you can do is keep going no matter what and think of where you'll be at the end of the journey. I never imagined the gains I'd make in my life when losing weight. I do have to admit now that I'm at goal when I look in the mirror at the sags and bags I'm upset I was ever as big as I was. I think we just have to keep working on accepting ourselves no matter how big we are.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    I think you should go over to the challenges forum and choose one that will force you to map out and visualize your goals over time. I just started one that has three major goal weights, with the last one in October. I calculated a 1.5 weight loss per week and set my weight loss goals by that (even though my calories are set a 2 lbs per week, so I have a much better chance of "winning" the challenge). It made me feel so great to see what I will weigh in April, July, and October. By October, I will be only 12 lbs over my ideal weight according to this challenge, even though I have 60 lbs to lose.

Also, I recommend you stop examining your body so often and just focus on measurements, your calories, and the scale. Basically, your actions. The results will come.
  • Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    Go for a walk/jog. Always perks me up. Its a journey and you know that already
  • stephpayton
    stephpayton Posts: 1 Member
    I understand completely. It sucks to not see a change quickly. I have lost almost 30 lbs ( ill gain a few lose a few) within the last year, basically by trying to eat better and exercising. I agree with taking progress pictures because within my journey that has been the biggest thing for me and the way I can tell I have lost the weight! Good luck and dont give up on YOURSELF!!
  • jim_pipkin
    jim_pipkin Posts: 82 Member
    alisampm wrote: »

Discouraged.

Consistency is KEY - this is a life change, not a quick fix. Keep tracking, working out, and when you consistently come in under maintenance calories the progress will come. Think in months, not weeks.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    I had a great quote that went, "It's a long journey and giving up now won't speed it up." Do you have rewards set up when you hit certain points? I did that last year and it really helped. My husband started changing them and I realized it messed with my motivation. We are all different and if you find your reward I think it may help you get to the journey's end.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Don't be discouraged. You are 10 pounds closer to your goal! Change your mindset. Each pound you lose - no matter what the time frame is - gets you healthier and closer to your goal.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I do the 1lb at a time as well. I have a spreadsheet and only tick the box when I have lost another 1lb so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. I started out needing to lose around 60lb and have now lost 38lb so over half way there.

There have been stops and starts and ups and down and also a year long plateau/maintenance phase. Losing weight over the long term is not easy. However I am losing and no matter how slow it is that is better than gaining.

So please don't be discouraged, you can do this you just need consistancy and patience to get there.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    edited May 2020
    Good work
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Love it!!!