Coronavirus prep

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wish I would've known about the virus last year when I booked my cruise lol Oh well. As long as I wash my hands constantly and use hand sanitizer I should be alright. Norwegian Cruise Line has been keeping us pretty informed of all of the steps they're taking in response to the virus. They're not messing around lol

Not to fearmonger, but the air filtration systems are also part of the issue on cruise ships. Air goes from cabin to cabin, with outside air being mixed with inside air. The filters aren't fine enough to pick up the virus (unlike planes, which recirculate air, but have filters than can keep the virus out of the air).

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-25/how-coronavirus-raced-through-quarantined-cruise-ship

Definitely good to know! Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about that now lol I can't cancel my reservation and receive a refund because I'm sailing in 8 days, plus I don't meet their criteria for being eligible for a refund.

I'm just going to cough as loud as possible to try and keep people away from me as much as possible lol JK!

EDIT: Norwegian now says we can cancel our cruise up to 48 hours before we sail, but we decided to just go on it anyways. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be a fairly empty cruise!

If that many passengers cancel, it's doubtful that it'd be profitable enough for them to chose to continue the cruise.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Just saw the NCAA "recommends" that the NCAA tournament be played without spectators (just essential personnel and family). My question is, isn't that the NCAA's call? Who decides about their recommendation?

Edited to add: Never mind. Looks like the media report I read used that language, but others are reporting it as a done deal.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    West Virginia Coronovirus - March 14 the military personnel who came in contact with a positive person will be up unless they test positive or begin to show signs. https://www.wboy.com/top-stories/service-member-at-wvs-camp-dawson-may-have-been-exposed-to-coronavirus/

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited March 2020
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Been lurking in this thread for a couple of days, thought I'd drop in the latest from Ireland. At the time of writing we have around 34 confirmed cases in the Republic (South of Ireland) and there are further cases in Northern Ireland (which fall under the UK's stats).

*snipped*

Schools and universities are open as normal. There has been no overall ban on large gatherings. There was a huge unnecessary political debate between the IRFU and the Minister for Health about the cancellation of the Six Nations Ireland v Italy game, with noone initially wanting to take responsibility for the cancellation of the game. The St Patrick's parades were going to go ahead, then they weren't, then they were and now have finally been cancelled.

Panic buying seems to be a bit hit and miss, some commuter towns have absolutely no toilet roll, pasta, etc on the shelves but city centre supermarkets are pretty quiet compared to normal with full stocks of everything.

I keep a mild interest in the media around it for work purposes (I deal with international travel for our employees) but I get most of my facts and figures from this site, which deals mostly in just stats without the fear-mongering sensationalist headlines. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and keep an eye on major airlines sites such as Cathay Pacific to see what the story is with current travel restrictions.

I am not in the panic stage myself, I have some meals prepped in the chest freezer, adequate normal supplies of cleaning products and consumables, as I normally buy large packs anyway to cut down on plastic waste. I am of the opinion that it is here now, it is going to affect us all at some stage whether directly or indirectly, we can just do our best to minimise the risk to ourselves and to those around us by practicing good hygiene, sensible risk assessment and doing what we can to maximise the effectiveness of the immune system through decent sleep, healthy diet, exercise, etc.

Just heard: now we know it is bad because the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago was just cancelled. The New York one, which has been held every year since 1762, so far is still happening. If they shut that one down, we know the Apocalypse is upon us.

Or, perhaps, if the New York one is not cancelled, that decision will bring the Apocalypse upon us.

(^^^ Intended as a wry, dark-humor joke. Clearly, authorities' role in managing large-attendance events is a serious consideration when it comes to the spread of the virus, and each decision is nuanced and specific. I hope they are well-advised by true experts. While I think authorities are capable of bad decisions (of course), I think it's much more common for some non-experts' "gut feelings" (mistaken for reasoning or common sense) to be less functional than the reasoning of experts who've studied and worked in a field for years to decades, and for some of those non-experts to trumpet their views, arrogantly, as more true and sensible than the eggheads'. Possible? Sure. Likely? No.)

No matter what decision they make it will be judged in hindsight like many of the other decisions have been. It is always easy to know what the right choice is/was if you know the outcome. It might always seem like erring on the side of caution is prudent but if we all did that we would be permanently paralyzed because there is no safe. How many people in lock down areas will die in their homes alone because they were not in public when they had a medical emergency like a heart attack or stroke?

Owning my disagree. I think that avoiding massive crowds during a known and named pandemic is not excessively cautious.

And wherever they get the funds from, if no one comes because of fear of crowds, it will have been a waste of money.

My opinion is obviously to cancel big and crowded events.

The governor of Washington has mandated this as of an hour and a half ago.

Gatherings larger than 250.

Oklahoma university board of regents had a meeting today to discuss the possibility of closing campus and having on-line classes after spring break.

Update: they have just announced they won’t decide by themselves. They are talking with OSU officials, Health sciences Center, the health department and others. It will be a joint decision when it is made.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    West Virginia Coronovirus - March 14 the military personnel who came in contact with a positive person will be up unless they test positive or begin to show signs. https://www.wboy.com/top-stories/service-member-at-wvs-camp-dawson-may-have-been-exposed-to-coronavirus/

just curious - how is that March 14 when today is March 11? lol

This isn't a confirmed case for WV, though - he has self quarantined since March 9 since being exposed on 2/29. If he doesn't start showing symptoms by March 14, he will be considered in the clear.

I do see in another article that WVU will be moving all in person classes to online or alternate methods, though the campus is staying open for now. I can see why they'd start this; its the biggest campus in the state and has many students from all over the place.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Didn’t say it was a confirmed case .I said exactly what you did after me. Like I said March 14th his quarantine is up unless he shows signs or tests positive- he came in contact with a positive person . You read to fast 💨 happens.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Chef Barbell- It’s definitely a PITA we paid double for the tiny cans of corn than our normal salt free giant cans. Once a vaccines out there to procedures for tackling it to curing it that’s more sound y known by all things will get easier. How long will that be don’t know so even my Mother-in-law using a CVS or Walgreens app sending it to her house 🏡. Rest we bring her for now. If you like send a friend request In updating my friends when they ask where to get stuff ..I’m the stay at home mom since this last pregnancy so more time than them. (Csection issues is why)

Now Amazon Fresh has a 4-5 day wait on getting a time slot for delivery. Used to be a 24 hour turn around. Will have to go to the actual store tomorrow... ugh.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Chef Barbell- May have to use other avenues or multiple ones to shop online. We’re even grabbing a high calorie tiny can of corn cause they ran out of corn was all that was left.

EBay -has foods to other items
    Walmart.com - has foods to other items
    Misfits Market- Vegetables
    Butcher box- Meats
    Amazon- foods to other items
    Many others especially ones MFP is advertising if need be.
    Target,SamsClub,Costco,etc even vegan online stores

Not forever but for now do what you gotta do if it’s something you really need. If it’s a want put it on the back burner.

We’re trying to buy more for baby than our normal diets so our stocks looking like a day care.

Just saw Delaware has it’s 1st Case https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/coronavirus/delaware-coronavirus-positive-test/2322213/

Disagree person back waves 🌊 to them

This is a great list and Walmart.com ships a lot of products that might not be available in store. Also Walmart Grocery Pick up (and delivery is available in some places) is a nice alternative.

Sadly not available in Queens, NY... I just checked lol
  • DecadeDuchess
    edited March 2020
    Been lurking this thread.

I'm in NC, where we have 7 reported cases, mostly in Wake County, where my 81 year old mom lives. She volunteers several times a week at an outreach organization, and emailed them yesterday to let them know that she was staying away until the threat is reduced. I am very relieved she did that. She just had a heart valve replaced in mid-January and is still recovering from that. I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands, as I'd called her to suggest she not go.

I live in a county a bit further east and work in a hospital that is part of a larger organization. The emails have been coming hard and fast for the past couple of days. Our state's first presumptive positive came a week ago last Tuesday. We've been told to phone in to meetings with over 50 people, not hoard PPE, etc. Our county does not have any presumptive positive cases to date.

Some genius decided to start a rumor that we had a COVID patient in our emergency department this afternoon. Let me reiterate that we do not at this time. That *kitten* spread like wildfire and I ended up sending a text to my boss to either confirm it or squash it. He squashed it. In the meantime, one of the ladies in our group was in a panic. She is a legit germaphobe. (How she ended up working in a hospital is beyond me, lol. :lol: ) But she was honestly freaked out.

To date, I hadn't been terribly concerned about this, tbh. I am aware of the potential of it spreading into our neck of the woods, but I honestly don't think I truly believed that it would, which was apparent by my own inner reaction, which was a really uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. If I was feeling that? I knew she had to be feeling so much worse. *sits and wonders what she's going to do when it isn't just a rumor*

Our prep at home is that we have enough food and drinkables to get us through two weeks of potentially not being to go out. @GaleHawkins I have pets and I didn't even THINK about food for them, so off to the local Walmart to get a couple really big bags of dog food just to put in the back room "just in case." At work we are behaving as if the virus is already in the building. In healthcare, you have to be aware of hand hygiene, but this has really made all of us hyper-aware of ALL the surfaces we touch (door lock button combos, elevator buttons, doorknobs, stairwells, etc.) and also aware of how often we touch our faces. :worried:

I hope everyone stays healthy, does proper hand hygiene, eats well, and doesn't stress over this too much. Scary? Yes, but stress just doesn't do anything for anyone. :heart:

I try to avoid using the inside of my hands, to touch things that aren't my personal property. For instance I use my knuckles, to press elevator buttons.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Think Amazon like here doesn’t have a store everywhere but a weeks worth isn’t bad if it’s all you got.
    Walmart.com available in Texas in my location no problem but Chef Barbell says not in Queens NY. Guess you got to check your area for what you can find to what types of delivery is available .
    I noticed one site MFP recommendation for wouldn’t send to Texas. Lots here are using it tho from other states. Another MFP sends to Texas but not California.
    If you find what works for your state post might help another one of us out in the same state.

Been watching Dr John he updates info he finds is a Doctor in Australia if I remember right. So might not align with your country 100% unless you live there.Gives insite on what the Docs are seeing to what that particular country is trying or doing.
    https://youtu.be/FZV9z0RVhy4
  • DecadeDuchess
    I'd think that events that've paying customers'd have insurance for potential cancellations, to then refund their customer's with.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Been lurking in this thread for a couple of days, thought I'd drop in the latest from Ireland. At the time of writing we have around 34 confirmed cases in the Republic (South of Ireland) and there are further cases in Northern Ireland (which fall under the UK's stats).

*snipped*

Schools and universities are open as normal. There has been no overall ban on large gatherings. There was a huge unnecessary political debate between the IRFU and the Minister for Health about the cancellation of the Six Nations Ireland v Italy game, with noone initially wanting to take responsibility for the cancellation of the game. The St Patrick's parades were going to go ahead, then they weren't, then they were and now have finally been cancelled.

Panic buying seems to be a bit hit and miss, some commuter towns have absolutely no toilet roll, pasta, etc on the shelves but city centre supermarkets are pretty quiet compared to normal with full stocks of everything.

I keep a mild interest in the media around it for work purposes (I deal with international travel for our employees) but I get most of my facts and figures from this site, which deals mostly in just stats without the fear-mongering sensationalist headlines. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and keep an eye on major airlines sites such as Cathay Pacific to see what the story is with current travel restrictions.

I am not in the panic stage myself, I have some meals prepped in the chest freezer, adequate normal supplies of cleaning products and consumables, as I normally buy large packs anyway to cut down on plastic waste. I am of the opinion that it is here now, it is going to affect us all at some stage whether directly or indirectly, we can just do our best to minimise the risk to ourselves and to those around us by practicing good hygiene, sensible risk assessment and doing what we can to maximise the effectiveness of the immune system through decent sleep, healthy diet, exercise, etc.

Just heard: now we know it is bad because the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago was just cancelled. The New York one, which has been held every year since 1762, so far is still happening. If they shut that one down, we know the Apocalypse is upon us.

Or, perhaps, if the New York one is not cancelled, that decision will bring the Apocalypse upon us.

(^^^ Intended as a wry, dark-humor joke. Clearly, authorities' role in managing large-attendance events is a serious consideration when it comes to the spread of the virus, and each decision is nuanced and specific. I hope they are well-advised by true experts. While I think authorities are capable of bad decisions (of course), I think it's much more common for some non-experts' "gut feelings" (mistaken for reasoning or common sense) to be less functional than the reasoning of experts who've studied and worked in a field for years to decades, and for some of those non-experts to trumpet their views, arrogantly, as more true and sensible than the eggheads'. Possible? Sure. Likely? No.)

No matter what decision they make it will be judged in hindsight like many of the other decisions have been. It is always easy to know what the right choice is/was if you know the outcome. It might always seem like erring on the side of caution is prudent but if we all did that we would be permanently paralyzed because there is no safe. How many people in lock down areas will die in their homes alone because they were not in public when they had a medical emergency like a heart attack or stroke?

Owning my disagree. I think that avoiding massive crowds during a known and named pandemic is not excessively cautious.

And wherever they get the funds from, if no one comes because of fear of crowds, it will have been a waste of money.

My opinion is obviously to cancel big and crowded events.

The governor of Washington has mandated this as of an hour and a half ago.

Gatherings larger than 250.

Oklahoma university board of regents had a meeting today to discuss the possibility of closing campus and having on-line classes after spring break.

Update: they have just announced they won’t decide by themselves. They are talking with OSU officials, Health sciences Center, the health department and others. It will be a joint decision when it is made.

Harvard, Yale, Amherst, University of Maryland have all already made this call (send students home, continue with online classes for at least a week or the rest of the semester, depending on the school). There are probably others I've missed.