What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• PaulaGlass95
    PaulaGlass95 Posts: 1 Member
    I hate avocado!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2020
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    Butter ruins vegetables.

EXCEPT corn on the cob.
    Corn on the cob must have butter dripping off of it.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Oregano is terrible. Basically just tastes like bad MJ. 🤢
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Many regular grocery-store bottled herbs and spices mostly taste like dust. Better sources - which are sometimes, surprisingly, cheaper - tend to have more and better flavor.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Many regular grocery-store bottled herbs and spices mostly taste like dust. Better sources - which are sometimes, surprisingly, cheaper - tend to have more and better flavor.

I dry my own. Can't stand the grocery-store ones and the alternative sources are too expensive around here. So I conquered a 2m by 4 m plot of land in my parents' garden and started planting my own to dry :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I dry my own. Can't stand the grocery-store ones and the alternative sources are too expensive around here. So I conquered a 2m by 4 m plot of land in my parents' garden and started planting my own to dry :wink:

That's definitely one of the ways, even for dried herbs. And the flavor bonuses from fresh are obvious (assuming one likes the flavor, of course ;) ).

I've been surprised, though, that - around here, anyway - some of the bulk-buy sources are not only more flavorful (less "dusty", when I'd expect them to be more dried out), but also materially less expensive. It seems kind of weird. If one looks at the dollars/pound on the signage, they look expensive. When I measure out a regular jar-sized quantity, the weight is so small that the practical cost is quite low, for most (not talkin' saffron here ;) !).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

That's definitely one of the ways, even for dried herbs. And the flavor bonuses from fresh are obvious (assuming one likes the flavor, of course ;) ).

I've been surprised, though, that - around here, anyway - some of the bulk-buy sources are not only more flavorful (less "dusty", when I'd expect them to be more dried out), but also materially less expensive. It seems kind of weird. If one looks at the dollars/pound on the signage, they look expensive. When I measure out a regular jar-sized quantity, the weight is so small that the practical cost is quite low, for most (not talkin' saffron here ;) !).

Well, I live in a small town out in the country side in the Western part of Switzerland. Dried herbs are expensive. The only place that sells bulk not too far off my beaten paths is an organic store. The prices are even more expensive for the same quantity.

I love fresh herbs. So I plant enough to be able to harvest to use fresh and to dry. :smile:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Salt absolutely does NOT belong on watermelon.

Salt on watermelon (any melon) is the only way!
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    Butter ruins vegetables.

YES! I hate when people add butter to vegetables and ruin them.

(Also side note that drives me nuts...when my family members say "oh I had a whole half plate of just veggies, I eat really healthy".... yet their idea of veggies is topped with butter or lots of oil, lol.)

I'm SO with you on the butter/vegetable 'thing'....I'm also very adverse to when people add sugar to cut up fruit...probably why I don't like strawberry shortcake. My mom would always macerate the strawberries with sugar...

I agree! The only vegetable that butter is okay on is grille corn on the cob.
  • pancakerunner
    IMO most sauces and marinades ruin meat.
  • pancakerunner
    Chili does NOT belong on hot dogs. For any reason whatsoever
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Last night I realized that rice, any kind, is nothing and not worth the calories.

😮 = all the people in Japan
  • pancakerunner
    Last night I realized that rice, any kind, is nothing and not worth the calories.

While i agree for the most part, wild rice (authentic, REAL wild rice) is an exception. Also black rice is pretty good depending on the occasion. And mango sticky rice.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

I absolutely agree about plain rice. My family makes pilaf with vermicelli and browned butter then adds rice and chicken broth, it's probably so good because of the half cube of brown butter but I still have a little bit. The company way is with raisins and almond slivers (though bulgar is often used instead of rice). Love Armenian pilaf.
  • pancakerunner
    Disagree about rice. Any kind of rice, cooked in chicken broth, little butter, maybe a fried egg on top- delicious. But for that reason, I class rice like I class potatoes gratin- a sometimes not often food. Plain minute rice or whatnot is gross, I agree.

My unpopular opinion: Panda Express is not only not good Chinese food, it's not good food period. *ducks for cover*

I agree! If I'm getting chinese food I don't like fast food
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Disagree about rice. Any kind of rice, cooked in chicken broth, little butter, maybe a fried egg on top- delicious. But for that reason, I class rice like I class potatoes gratin- a sometimes not often food. Plain minute rice or whatnot is gross, I agree.

My unpopular opinion: Panda Express is not only not good Chinese food, it's not good food period. *ducks for cover*

I agree! If I'm getting chinese food I don't like fast food

I agree too. Panda Express is just sad. My husband summed it up by saying any town big enough for a Panda Express has at least 4 GOOD cheap Chinese restaurants you could pick instead. That's definitely true in our area, anyway.

Plus it's not even that cheap!