Anyone avoiding the gym because of the you-know-what virus?

I don’t live in an area with a high rate of infection. So far. As far as I know. But I have begun to wonder if I should work out from home for a while.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I am debating about going tomorrow... I just got back to a good routine. This blows.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Very thankful for my home gym. Cases are started to crop up in the area, states of emergency declared, schools closing, etc. I've not been told to work from home yet but will likely be doing so soon. Everyone be safe out there.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I use the gym in my apartment complex, so it gets less traffic than the average gym. They've put out extra wipes to clean the equipment and I still feel okay using it for now. I'm usually a stickler for wiping down my equipment pre- and post-use anyway.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    I'm still going to my gym and Pilates studio... I got pink eye a couple years ago, so since then I've been very good at washing my hands/wiping down equipment/not rubbing eyes/etc.

I was a bit surprised with how packed it was the other day (I was expecting it to slow down)... no slow down around here yet!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Very thankful for my home gym. Cases are started to crop up in the area, states of emergency declared, schools closing, etc. I've not been told to work from home yet but will likely be doing so soon. Everyone be safe out there.

Same here. There was a virus-related death at a hospital in my county in Georgia today. Older person with underlying health conditions but still. I guess my social anxiety is serving me well for once. (I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, pull up tower, Smith/cable machine, bench, tons of dumbbells and kettlebells, cardio DVDs, yoga mat, and various other stuff that I've been collecting over the years. I can also work from home if needed. Other than picking up my new puppy on Saturday I don't need to leave the house ever again...)
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,002 Member
    No. I’m definitely not. Funny thing is....the boot camp style class I do to is crazy into “high fiving”. I’ve never been super into it but I do it if someone puts a hand up. Corporate said “no more high fiving”. But yet we all rotate through the same weights, med balls, resistance bands, stability balls, etc etc. I always have scrubbed my hands and use hand sanitizer after class....and I don’t see hardly ANYONE washing their hands, even still. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    No, i went to the gym last night and I'll go again tonight. I am trying to use the hand sanitizer more between machines, which I'm pretty good about doing anyway.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    My gym was a ghost town this morning. I've been doing a lot of wiping down b4 and after equipment use. I'm still going to go the gym. This totally sucks!
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I'm still going to pilates, but being more careful. I did notice the classes are smaller, but it could be because of the time of the year (Spring break). I also work one to one with a trainer. It is one room, one person. So I'm only around the trainer. Again...being careful of the surfaces I touch.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I stopped going to martial arts where we, and the classes before us, crawl all over the floor and each other. Still going to the gym but using lysol wipes on every piece of equipment before and after use. I would also stop my run or lift if someone nearby was coughing, but usually there are few enough people in my gym that we get the 3-6 feet of safe space.
  • firestarinfini
    firestarinfini Posts: 13 Member
    I've stopped swimming and have been using my apartment's gym. Been definitely more religious about disinfecting equipment.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    My gym... doesn't have any soap in the bathrooms. :|

But I have a contract.

So I guess I'll go but only with a bag of sanitary supplies.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    The gym is going to be empty and CLEAN! I'm def still going.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    I'll be at the gym in the morning.