Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    This is a good article that hits all the high points...no pun intended, but it also explains the Flattening of the Curve and why it's important and why things are being done the way they are (with closings and travel bans etc.)

Herd Immunity is a BIG deal...and that's what we have with the seasonal flu, plus we have widespread vaccine use for the seasonal flu. Yes, a lot of people die of the regular flu, but they don't all present at hospitals in a one-month period of time, and they do present at a fairly predictable rate and it's not half the population needing medical help all at the same time.

I haven't gotten any flu in decades, but I do get a flu shot every year. I am careful and I am healthy but I have herd immunity to partially thank for that.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Specifically about flattening the curve:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

Is there any idea of what that time frame looks like in the graph? All I see right now is that things are getting cancelled and postponed indefinitely into the future. If there was a known effective time frame (it look like there is, but the chart isn't marked), then that would ease some concerns. I, for one, would be unhappy if everything is getting cancelled for the "this year and next."
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2020

[/quote]

I sincerely hope you dodge the bullet. Because if not, you will be woefully unprepared. The knowledge gained from what's happening in Italy came at a huge price. Ignore it at your own peril. :| [/quote]

I live within a ten minute drive of at least 15-20 major grocery stores, lots of family, not to mention drug stores etc. We’re good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited March 2020
    This is a good article that hits all the high points...no pun intended, but it also explains the Flattening of the Curve and why it's important and why things are being done the way they are (with closings and travel bans etc.)

Herd Immunity is a BIG deal...and that's what we have with the seasonal flu, plus we have widespread vaccine use for the seasonal flu. Yes, a lot of people die of the regular flu, but they don't all present at hospitals in a one-month period of time, and they do present at a fairly predictable rate and it's not half the population needing medical help all at the same time.

I haven't gotten any flu in decades, but I do get a flu shot every year. I am careful and I am healthy but I have herd immunity to partially thank for that.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

Is there any idea of what that time frame looks like in the graph? All I see right now is that things are getting cancelled and postponed indefinitely into the future. If there was a known effective time frame (it look like there is, but the chart isn't marked), then that would ease some concerns. I, for one, would be unhappy if everything is getting cancelled for the "this year and next."

That graph is from the CDC.

The first article specifically delves into, "How Does This End?" - https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Since this is a New Approach (social distancing/mass closings) we've not tried before with novel viruses, I think your guess is as good as mine. :neutral:

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member

I would love to know this as well, but I'm not sure anyone can answer that right now. The US specifically is such a large nation, it could continue to hop around for awhile? Is that happening in China?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As of Wednesday 3/12, NM had their first 3 presumptive cases...today it is up to 5...all had traveled to areas with a large number of infections.

The State as well as private venues, etc have taken pretty quick action. The NMAA High School basketball tournament started yesterday...the remainder of the tournament will be played, but no audience. The USL which is the league our New Mexico United soccer team plays in has suspended their season until further notice. There is currently no bans on large gatherings, however, organizations are voluntarily shutting things down. Monster Truck Jam this weekend has been postponed indefinitely as well as several other conferences and other events, including the Escape from Margaritaville show I was to attend with my wife.

Schools have put a moratorium on extra curricular activities as well. I think these are all good things...I don't see these as panic moves, but rather common sense social distancing to slow the progression of the virus and minimize the number of people who get infected.

On a personal note, I am canceling the road trip to Colorado that I was going to do with my boys for Spring break. The main event was going to be going to watch Supercross at Mile High Stadium and I'm working under the assumption that it will be postponed as it seems most states are either shutting these things down or people are voluntarily postponing. But also, part of this trip was to go see a buddy of mine I've known since 2nd grade and I was informed by his wife a couple of weeks ago that he passed away in a freak ice climbing accident...I was also going to see my grandmother (88) but was informed last Saturday that she fell and broke her hip and is in rehab in a nursing home and no visitors are allowed...so pretty much that trip was cursed and I'm thinking something in the universe didn't want me to take it. I'm thinking I'll take my boys on a father and son's camping trip for three or four nights instead.

I've also put a self imposed moratorium on the gym for a month. It is a very busy gym and I'm sure a breeding ground in general. I typically don't worry about it as I seem to have a pretty good immunity to things...but there's obviously no built up immunity to this. The weather is getting nicer anyway so I've been spending more time on my road bike and mountain bike...so no weight lifting or spin classes for a month. We also had a date night for Saturday planned in conjunction with the off broadway show and we're thinking we're going to cancel dinner plans and still send the boys off to Grandma's, but just have dinner and a movie at home.

Food wise I think we're good if we end up in a quarantine...we always keep a pretty stocked freezer of meat, poultry, and seafood and a pretty well stocked pantry. We also have a 20 Lb bag of pinto beans in the pantry...I'll probably buy some rice this weekend.

We are setting up the camper for quarantine this weekend. We're thinking that if one of us gets sick we will quarantine in the camper and the kids and whichever one of us isn't sick will self quarantine in the house.

Had a high level executive meeting at work this morning. No in person meetings of more than 10 people. Out of state travel for business or conferences is banned. Nobody is allowed to attend any in person trainings or conferences in state until further notice (most of these are being cancelled or moved to an online format anyway). We cannot ban employee personal travel, but we are enforcing a 14 day quarantine upon their return if they travel to a state that has more than five infected or if it is travel outside of the country. All supervisors are required to send staff home if they appear to be ill, even if they don't have a fever. Staff are being instructed to stay home if they are feeling ill, especially if they have a fever and are encouraged to get tested if they have coronavirus symptoms. Emergency paid administrative sick leave will be granted to those who test positive and must isolate if they do not have available sick or vacation time. We are also propping open doors that aren't security access so people don't have to touch door knobs, etc and lysol and clorox wipes are being provided namely to those individuals who work closely with the public. There are other protocols that will kick in if things become much worse like rotating staff on a skeleton crew to minimize contact with the public and having those that can work from home (namely administration) work from home. We are a courthouse, so we can't just close up shop and deny access to justice so we're somewhat limited in that capacity.

Mass gatherings defined as 100 or more individuals are now banned. https://nmhealth.org/publication/view/help/5668/
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020
    Okay it’s not just 2 weeks it’s longer than that. You can take 1-24days to show symptoms.Then you are quarantined 14days or until you finally stop testing positive.So anywhere after symptoms from 2weeks-1 1/2months they are varied.Search listen to the diamond cruise ship positive folks to other countries news. Mall lady in San Antonio Tx who spread it for us took 15days before she tested positive!! She will have been quarantined 14days again (28 days quarantined + her ship quarantine)in March 17th then she will be tested 3 times before she will be released “IF” they all come back negative. If they still come up positive the poor woman will be quarantined until she gets 3 negative tests no matter how long that takes so of course your waiting days for test results. Stuck in a cruise ship you get quarantined for weeks then for 2weeks quarantine on a base then if positive more weeks of quarantine. The lucky folks get it quick y over quick. Unlucky folks it drags on .
    So how long can you be sick for?
    So luckiest person 15days total
    The most unlucky Guy which has happened 1 1/2months total

Average 5days for symptoms to show plus 2-3weeks quarantine

Stuck on a cruise that has a positive case (darn it moment)long long quarantine even if your not sick 😷 held hostage go through the motions. You test positive it keeps on going until your negative.

Stuck in a foreign country- Your quarantines going to be their rules not your home country of origin. Like this poor guy https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/11/egypt-matt-swider-coronavirus/

Lady who her friends y her got it on Feb 22 at a casual house party. Had the average reaction not a major one .March 7 positive test results.Illness for their group averaged 10-16days each. (8 days of it was fever 🤒 🥵 ). Luckily the worst case was only a Low level Phemonia not a higher level
    https://www.click2houston.com/health/2020/03/11/i-had-covid-19-and-heres-my-story-woman-shares-details-of-coronavirus-experience/
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Broadway just shut down till mid April
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

That graph is from the CDC.

The first article specifically delves into, "How Does This End?" - https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Since this is a New Approach (social distancing/mass closings) we've not tried before with novel viruses, I think your guess is as good as mine. :neutral:

Sounds like it really isn't known or predicted. I'm not suggesting an end to the virus. In fact, I can see that it becomes a thing that goes around indefinitely like the common cold. I am hoping there is a timeline soon about how long everything gets canceled before the "Flattening of the Curve" is complete and we can start going on with our normal lives again. I'm not concerned about the virus, but I am concerned about the results from panic and uncertainty of indefinite postponement and impending cancellation of events.