Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I'm from Ohio with five at risk siblings, four at home in Ohio. The Ohio Sec of Health today (GOP appointed for conspiracy theorist sake) estimated 100K cases in Ohio right now floating around. They must be seeing a dramatic uptick in hospital cases to come out to the public with that statement. The inundation I've been fearing has already begun.

This sounds awfully high... I looked it up, but I wonder where they're getting that theoretical number from? If true, that's scary...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    I'm from Ohio with five at risk siblings, four at home in Ohio. The Ohio Sec of Health today (GOP appointed for conspiracy theorist sake) estimated 100K cases in Ohio right now floating around. They must be seeing a dramatic uptick in hospital cases to come out to the public with that statement. The inundation I've been fearing has already begun.

This sounds awfully high... I looked it up, but I wonder where they're getting that theoretical number from? If true, that's scary...

I wondered the same thing. It's a GOP Governor and appointee. My guess is that they are seeing a huge uptick in hospital cases. They wouldn't say something like this (you wouldn't think) without cause for huge concern.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/ohio-department-of-health-says-100-000-ohioans-are-carrying-coronavirus
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm just thinking that if there were so many "unknown" cases because of lack of testing, wouldn't we be seeing people winding up very sick in the hospitals? I don't think we are, or I am incorrect? 20% of large numbers of sick people would be obvious, I would think.

In my state of NC, at first there was a test shortage due to CDC dropping the ball, but the state took matters into its own hands. The state has obtained test kits from other sources, and are now opening up testing to anyone who shows the symptoms and has a negative flu test.

Where is your state getting these tests? Because my state has been trying to test but lacks the ability to do so. I am skeptical that anyone in the US has enough tests to test everyone who should be tested.

Most cases are NBD, but they represent infection vectors and the fear is ending up in the position Italy is, or worse.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/03/12/north-carolina-works-around-federal-government-find-other-methods-testing-coronavirus/

The article says they don't have enough of the extractor agent and they're "looking" for other sources. It also says there's a lab that has developed another way of testing that doesn't require that extractor agent, but that lab is "stretched thin" as well.

TL;DR: the actual news story doesn't support the headline in the URL.

I saw that too, and I edited my above post to include another headline. It says Labcorp can do several thousand tests a day. I dunno...

https://www.wral.com/nc-widens-coronavirus-testing-criteria/19009212/

That article says Labcorp can do several thousand test a day nationally. So presumably not all for North Carolina. But every little bit helps.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    New Mexico is closing all public schools for 3 weeks. Most if not all of the private schools will almost certainly do the same.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »

The speed with which the research community is moving on this is really kind of inspirational. We are capable of so much when something like this forces us to put all our other crap aside.

A giant first step would be if they could make better testing kits, and many more of them.

A good start would be just to use the testing kits in hand period when people report with flu like complaints.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member

I wondered the same thing. It's a GOP Governor and appointee. My guess is that they are seeing a huge uptick in hospital cases. They wouldn't say something like this (you wouldn't think) without cause for huge concern.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/ohio-department-of-health-says-100-000-ohioans-are-carrying-coronavirus

It seems like he's saying it's because they've had a case or two that were from "community spread", and when that happens, it's because 1% of the population has it (or is carrying it). I don't know, it still sounds really high to me. I would think he's being advised by someone that should know, but...