Anyone avoiding the gym because of the you-know-what virus?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You cannot avoid it.
    You are going to get it eventually, and that is going to mean two weeks in quarantine, imprisoned at home.
    You gotta get your work in while you can!
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Been going to the pool. I figure 90 minutes of chlorine (usually alone) should kill anything. 😆

All joking aside though, my sister was telling me that everybody (staff AND members) at her gym have been very vigilant about wipe downs, washing before and after workouts in the bathroom, etc. Tbh it sounds like gyms in my area are safer than any medical building.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    My gym is technically a community center that is owned by the city.
    The governor of my state declared no gatherings of over 100 people (some exclusions) but its likely my gym will be closed as of tomorrow.
    Super bummed.
    Highly considering setting up a home gym with bumper plates, rack etc.
    I honestly think I’ll feel pretty lost without my training
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    My gym has closed for the time being, so I can't go even if I wanted to.
    I figure there are lots of things I can do at home, as a workout. Better safe than sorry!
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I was going to take a break from the gym before everything got crazy for a few weeks due to not having the extra $60 for the month. So guess it's my YouTube videos at least till April.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm fortunate to have a reasonably well equipped home gym so it's not an issue for me (no more shaking hands with clients at work & encouraging them to submit documents electronically) but I had a conversation with my son about upping the hygiene at his gym (shipping him spare 1200 ml container of hand sanitizer - should probably send it by Brinks...)
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    My gym (Youfit) was open last night when I went. It was just as busy at 10PM as it normally is. (In other words, pretty empty.)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    My gym has been gloriously dead this week.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Still going - will do until it's no longer possible for whatever reason. They've made sure there's extra cleaning stuff to wipe down machines and are ramping up their cleaning and I've been good at washing my hands since I got a stomach bug a couple of years ago.

Can't say it's been too much quieter at the gym than usual but as of yesterday, the borough I live in in London is one of the few that has no confirmed cases.
  • chsberthelot2934
    chsberthelot2934 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm still going. Wiping equipment down and washing hands like normal. The workers are cleaning extra also.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I use a gym in my workplace. There were notices on the doors this morning that it is closed until further notice so the cleaning staff can focus on increasing sanitation elsewhere in the building. Bummer.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Got word that my coworker “just” has the flu so I’m going to try and stay the course for now.
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    I just froze my membership to Orange Theory until 04/30. So sad because I was doing so well but I just didn't think the gym was clean enough and we are so close to each other
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I'm going to go and see how busy it is. If it's as dead as last Friday, I'll probably go. They're cleaning furiously, and if there is nobody there, then I feel better about being in a closed space with people. I'm struggling with the recommendation that we're supposed to avoid people, even those of us who are seemingly healthy. That would mean we should all stay home. If my gym is open and nobody is there though...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Still going. Very few reported cases in Mexico and none in Oaxaca where I live. Of course the Mexican government is not know for either quality information or full disclosure. So, I'm monitoring things closely. I also brought my own small towel and soaked it in the sanitizer solution at the gym and wiped down everything before and after I touched it, as well as my hands frequently.

We'll see what develops.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I have been not going because I've been in a bit of a rut lately. This has not been helped by my fitness center's decision to shut down from today until March 31st. I still have been doing a share of walkng, at least while it's still safe to go outside.