what program to do after stronglifts 5x5 for building muscle?

2»

Replies

• fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    wiigelec wrote: »
    The two I gave you are the best. Only do building the monolith 2 to 3 times a year. Do hardgainer the rest of the time.

Start tomorrow and look forward to your results!

very confusing program.

Warm-Up: Agile 8 and Box Jump x 10 total reps

Main Lift: Squat

Warm-up
    70% x 5
    80% x 5
    90% x 5+ (PR set)
    70% x 20 reps (widowmaker set)
    Assistance:

Dip, push-up, or dumbbell bench/incline/press (choose one) – 50-100 total reps
    Pull-up, row, lat pulldown, inverted row, curl, shrug (choose one) – 50-100 total reps
    Any abdominal, low back, single-leg movement, kettlebell swing, kettlebell snatch (choose one) – 50-100 total reps

none of this makes sense. what does 70%x5 mean? i am confused. how can you suggest such a hard program for me when I am still struggling with stronglifts.

If you want someone to design a custom plan for you that specifically takes into account your knowledge level, comfort with different lifts, and current performance, that's something you'd typically have to pay for.

and to whom will I pay?
  • fitpal02020
    harper16 wrote: »
    Do you not like the responses you've already received? Is there something that's not being answered?

what is not being answered is no one is able to tell me when I should switch or how I should change my program so I can build muscle and burn fat
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472265ff075e706668276dcb035a2e354ad75de8c5&rid=giphy.gif
    1. Play Nice
    I WILL:
    • I will be respectful and understand that everyone is different. Some members are new to this, so be kind to the newbies.
    • I will remember the human on the other side of the screen.
    • I will share my opinions while respecting others' thoughts and feelings as well.
    I will be ready to hear and accept other opinions that I might not always agree with.
    • I will ignore users.

I WON’T:
    I won’t be a jerk.
    • I will not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. I can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but I cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the member’s spelling or command of written English, belittling a member for posting a duplicate discussion, or attacking a member for posting in an older discussion. (ie. It’s lose not loose, strong first post, didn’t you already post this today, etc.) Not every member has the same level of education, so I’ll refrain from criticizing a member for not framing their content in a manner befitting a university-level science paper.
    • I won’t pick apart how something is said; I will focus on the meaning/message.
    2. Treat others with dignity, compassion and respect
    I WILL:
    I will SHOW RESPECT.
    I will show kindness.
    I will respect that MyFitnessPal has a zero-tolerance policy for hate speech.

I WON’T:
    I won’t be a bully.
    • I won’t belittle others.
    • I won’t make any derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
    I won’t stalk other members. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors.
    • I won’t make stereotypes against other members.
    • I won’t post discussions or comments that incite racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm to any individual or group.
    • I won’t endorse violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor.
    • I won’t publicly post information that poses or creates a privacy or security risk to any person (i.e., by publicly posting any person's contact information on the forums).
    3. No Trolling
    I WILL:
    • I will stay on-topic in an existing discussion.
    I will report trolls instead of engaging them.
    I will contribute politely and constructively to a discussion, or move on without posting.
    I will ignore users.

I WON’T:
    I won’t troll.
    • I won’t flamebait.
    • I won’t call someone out.

• I won’t police other members.
    • I won’t feed the trolls.
    • I won’t take a discussion off-topic, it’s considered hi-jacking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines <-- Guidelines. Review them. I beg you.

Please stay on topic, do not respond with attacks, and use the ignore user feature if someone gets on your nerves. Please. Again, I beg you.

This thread has been cleaned up a bit. If one of your posts was removed and you don't understand why, send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss between sniffles, coughing, and naps.

Please don't make me come in here again.

you-wont-like-me-when-im-angry

JustSomeEm
  • fitpal02020
    oko
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do you not like the responses you've already received? Is there something that's not being answered?

what is not being answered is no one is able to tell me when I should switch or how I should change my program so I can build muscle and burn fat

Thinner leaner stronger is a program suited to your goals
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited April 2020
    Anyone, who wants to, can find some excellent information here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1169757/i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym/p1

and here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

as well as here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

Beyond that, and specifically in this more complex than usual case, I would advise the OP to consult a paid professional who may be willing to both design a custom program for them and ensure, through video, that they are correctly performing the various exercises.

While many professional trainers would not feel comfortable consulting over the internet, some do so, and I am sure some even specialize in doing so, and might be best able to cater to the OP's unique needs.
  • fitpal02020

is that an actual program? where are you even finding these program anyways? whose comping up with these?

can you share link please?
  • fitpal02020
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I did thinner leaner stronger after stronglifts. Then the bridge. Then strong curves then PHUL.

I found it hard to progress on PHUL so I switched to an RPE based programme from Eric helms muscle and strength training pyramids. I’m making progress on all my lifts again. I’m also bulking atm.

I really don’t know if my choices have been perfect but I have enjoyed all of the programmes. My goals are hypertrophy.

are you a man or woman? did you read my post? my goals are: build muscle and burn fat. Please confirm if these programs you are suggesting will help my achieve my goals?

If your goal is hypertrophy then yes what I am doing will achieve that. It has some lovely bro type isolation moves and some compounds. I’m gonna take a picture of the programme for you. But you need to but the book and educate yourself.

I’m a girl. That’s irrelevant though.

kind of relevant as your weights are going to be different and progress is going to be different than me.
    not you're what you mean by hypertrophy. not what I'm looking for. thanks though

It seems you are trolling, but I'll bite since this topic is often misinterpreted.

Nope.

There are male and females that respond just as robustly as well as resistant to the exact same programs.

I've trained females that progress faster than males and vise versa.

Plenty of current evidence that suggests gender makes no difference if the programming is appropriate for the individual's sensitivity to training.

ok and when did I say anything about progress having anything to do with gender?im confused, what's your point?
    ok back to calling me a troll now again, really? the previous questions were cleared up so maybe read that before going back to calling me a troll when I'm simply here trying to look for advice.

• fitpal02020
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Anyone, who wants to, can find some excellent information here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1169757/i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym/p1

and here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

as well as here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

Beyond that, and specifically in this more complex than usual case, I would advise the OP to consult a paid professional who may be willing to both design a custom program for them and ensure, through video, that they are correctly performing the various exercises.

While many professional trainers would not feel comfortable consulting over the internet, some do so, and I am sure some even specialize in doing so, and might be best able to cater to the OP's unique needs.

nope, i dont think i need to waste money on something like that. i'll continue to find a program here.
    thanks for your suggestion though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If you are looking for a program to build strength continue with 5x5..just eat more food.

To build you need a progressive overload (which 5x5 does) and an increase of calories (over maintenance) keep in mind that you will build some muscle and add fat as that is the way a bulk works.

Unless you want to recomp at which time you eat at maintenance and continue to life...

I did Stronglifts for almost a year before I moved on to Wendler 5/3/1 and I did that program for appx 4 years...taking a bit of time off here and there.

Since Covid I have moved to an upper lower split after a 6 month hiatus.

• LongevityRob
    LongevityRob Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2020
    What are your current stats? Doesn't need to be exact, just gathering a general picture of your strengths/weaknesses.

Height:
    Weight:
    Body fat %:
    Deadlift: 1rm, 3rm or 5rm
    Squat: 1rm, 3rm or 5rm
    Overhead Press: 10rm
    Chin ups: how many reps with body weight/how many reps with weight
    Pull ups: Same as chins
    Hanging Leg/Knee Raises: How many reps with body weight in 2min
    Push ups: How many reps in 2min @ body weight
    Mile: time?
    Injury list:

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member

is that an actual program? where are you even finding these program anyways? whose comping up with these?

You can just Google "thinner leaner stronger" and find a lot of info. There is also a book, I borrowed it from the library, but I'm sure it's available on Amazon as well. There are so many programs you could try, you've been given loads of advice, but I feel like your responses are very argumentative.
  • fitpal02020

You can just Google "thinner leaner stronger" and find a lot of info. There is also a book, I borrowed it from the library, but I'm sure it's available on Amazon as well. There are so many programs you could try, you've been given loads of advice, but I feel like your responses are very argumentative.

thanks, will follow that to burn fat and build muscle.