Gaining muscle

Hi everyone,

I've currently been going gym since August and have seen gains slowly.. but can I get some tips on the best protein meals to eat to help me build muscle more! I worry sometimes that I'm simply just putting fat on even though I go gym 4xweek. Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm assuming you are trying to gain weight?

I would say the best things to do to minimize fat gain when trying to build muscle is to keep the surplus small to moderate (0.5lb or less per week) and follow a proper progressive training program. Also starting off lower BF% helps too (unless you are underweight or close.. then I would just go ahead). Also make sure you are getting adequate protein, you don't need too much, around 1g per lb is good.
  • narindd
    narindd Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you! Will do that! I am working on counting my calories so I can keep within a small surplus :) it's difficult when you cook at home though to log it in😂
  • narindd
    Also, regarding upper body, underarms specifically, does it take a lot longer to see definition in them? I see progress in my triceps so far but thats all
  • sardelsa
    edited March 2020
    You can use the recipe builder. I haven't used it in years since I don't log so I'm not a great help in that department !

Well right now if you are gaining it is very common to lose definition (due to some fat gain) before you see it. But if you are building then you will see it especially when you cut down again.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Not to be contrary for the sake of contrary, lots of people bulk and cut and do it successfully.

For me, I prefer to be my healthiest each and everyday. I prefer to eat lean, be a bit calorie deficient but select foods that are known to build muscle and support muscle recuperation. It is a delicate balance and takes a fair bit of monitoring but can be done. Doing this I skip the bulk part which I would totally overshoot I'm sure!

Again this is not a correction of what has been posted already but another method. I like Atheleanx Jeff Cavalier as my goto for inspiration.
  • sardelsa
    @KHMcG it really depends on your goals. I think if someone wants to build and get bigger and heavier, then yes bulking is the best way to go about it. Someone could also do what you are doing, eating around maintenance and changing your body composition. But it can be slow. I am also doing that right now since I am happy with my weight and size but want to add a little here, lose a little there. At some point thought I want to be heavier so I will bulk.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @KHMcG it really depends on your goals. I think if someone wants to build and get bigger and heavier, then yes bulking is the best way to go about it. Someone could also do what you are doing, eating around maintenance and changing your body composition. But it can be slow. I am also doing that right now since I am happy with my weight and size but want to add a little here, lose a little there. At some point thought I want to be heavier so I will bulk.

Ah yes. Well put.
  • narindd
    @KHMcG @sardelsa thanks guys! Yeah at the moment I have put on fat as well as some muscle especially on my legs! Its just a bit nerve wrecking since I want to look lean but I know that'll take time! Once I start cutting hopefully I'll see the lean muscle I want clearly! As long as I dont get any bigger I'm happy.