Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Haha NewLifestyle, what a trip back in time. We should start a whole new thread for all the memories. :) S&H green stamps, and Plaid stamps. :) Oh so many memories. :) But many people gone from back then. :(

Green stamps? Are those like the grocery store stamps that went in the little booklets to redeem? My Mom made me lick them all to stick in the books, I'm so glad stamps are sticky now, that was pretty gross!

Yep and the "gifts" we got to redeem were fabulous. We always had a water pad bottles to help our parents and grandparents put the in the little booklets instead of licking them.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    My mom made the yummiest oatmeal for me as a child, she cooked it with milk and molasses and it sat on the stove all day. I can't make anything like her

What a beautiful memory!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    rkaden3ydmw3.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    h1dysgk0yhhj.png
  • pancakerunner
    k2si3i1qo0oz.jpg

growing up my dad would always make homemade waffles on Wednesday's before school... one of my favorite combos was chocolate chips with shredded cheddar cheese. Want!
  • pancakerunner
    kkguo4bj718s.jpg
    v8au7wtewryj.png
  • pancakerunner
    d238us4gv5ay.png
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    e322dw0kucnk.png

@vanityy99 remember this? 😉

I don’t remember this one 😕
    Do they sell those in regular stores??
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    or4l6hx23lvx.png

Chili mangoes or ginger.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    d238us4gv5ay.png

That stuff'll pull your fillings out. It's no wonder so many of my teeth ended up with cavities; this was way before sealants were available.
  • pancakerunner
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    d238us4gv5ay.png

That stuff'll pull your fillings out. It's no wonder so many of my teeth ended up with cavities; this was way before sealants were available.

These were the worst halloween candy to get haha
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited March 2020
    When I was a child, everyone loved root beer floats...not me, I really loved:

ginger-ale-float.jpg
    Ginger-Ale floats!

Another favorite of childhood of mine was sherberts:
    rainbow sherbet:
    rainbow_sherbet_fo_small.jpg

Lime sherbet:
    exps49523_SE866896D23A.jpg

orange sherbet:
    orangesherb.jpeg
  • 777Gemma888

ginger-ale-float.jpg
    Ginger-Ale floats!

rainbow sherbert:

Lime sherbert:

orange sherbert:
    orangesherb.jpeg

I never tasted sherbet until I got to NZ. Not a favourite. My friends LOVED it and giant sherbet straws too. Drank my first Spider there too - the Coca Cola + ice cream float
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited March 2020

ginger-ale-float.jpg
    Ginger-Ale floats!

rainbow sherbert:

Lime sherbert:

orange sherbert:
    orangesherb.jpeg

I never tasted sherbet until I got to NZ. Not a favourite. My friends LOVED it and giant sherbet straws too. Drank my first Spider there too - the Coca Cola + ice cream float

Ya know, it's was and still is super HARD to find a "good" sherbet. I didn't and don't like most sherbets either. The sherbets I LOVED didn't taste thick nor super sweet, but tasted very thin and not that sweet with a wee bit of tartness to it. Most all of the sherbets sold in grocery stores are the kinds of sherbet I didn't/don't like (thick and super sweet with very little if any tartness=NO). The sherbet's I used to love came from certain ice cream parlors and hand-made. I haven't found a terrific sherbet is YEARS!

Also, I did like coke floats FAR BETTER than root bear floats, but would take a ginger-ale float over them all.
  • 777Gemma888

ginger-ale-float.jpg
    Ginger-Ale floats!

rainbow sherbert:

Lime sherbert:

orange sherbert:
    orangesherb.jpeg

Ya know, it's was and still is super HARD to find a "good" sherbet. I didn't and don't like most sherbets either. The sherbets I LOVED didn't taste thick nor super sweet, but tasted very thin and not that sweet with a wee bit of tartness to it. Most all of the sherbets sold in grocery stores are the kinds of sherbet I didn't/don't like (thick and super sweet with very little if any tartness=NO). The sherbet's I used to love came from certain ice cream parlors and hand-made. I haven't found a terrific sherbet is YEARS!

Also, I did like coke floats FAR BETTER than root bear floats, but would take a ginger-ale float over them all.

Never had the opportunity to try quality hand-churned ice cream parlour blends of sherbet. 🍨

That makes absolute sense to me now. I initially thought sherbet to be overly sweet, tart and chalky. It was often served at their homes, out of store bought containers of sherbet. I could never get excited like my friends for it, often opting for a piece of fruit back then.

• pancakerunner

ginger-ale-float.jpg
    Ginger-Ale floats!

rainbow sherbet:

Lime sherbet:

orange sherbet:
    orangesherb.jpeg

Oh yes! Sherbert is my childhood! Lime in particular. Reminds me of when i got my tonsils removed haha
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited March 2020
    I have a few favorites from when I was a kid - tuna noodle casserole. My mom's meat pie. Blackberry cobbler made with blackberries I'd picked from the massive bushes on the side of the road. Thimbleberries and salmonberries. And my mom knew how to fry an egg like no other - all crispy on the edges and soft in the yolk. It was the best when we used to save our own bacon and meat grease in a can by the stove. She was pretty good with whole wheat pancakes too.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited March 2020
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    I have a few favorites from when I was a kid - tuna noodle casserole. My mom's meat pie. Blackberry cobbler made with blackberries I'd picked from the massive bushes on the side of the road. Thimbleberries and salmonberries. And my mom knew how to fry an egg like no other - all crispy on the edges and soft in the yolk. It was the best when we used to save our own bacon and meat grease in a can by the stove. She was pretty good with whole wheat pancakes too.

I just got jealous of your childhood. Salmonberry pies with dollops of cream ( my sister k8eekins would add custard to it too with cream on top) ... Thimbleberry jam ... Omg!
  • pancakerunner
    Sand_TIger wrote: »

Thimbleberries! Yes!! Very common where I'm from
  • pancakerunner
    40p38was3ne9.png