Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Covid-19....... are you eating out less because of it?

Replies

• pinuplovepinuplove Member Posts: 12,937 Member Member Posts: 12,937 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Can anybody think of anything any of us do in daily life that has a 1% chance of killing us?

I know a lot of people think riding a road bike on roads in traffic is too dangerous and nobody should do it. If it had a 1% chance of death, I would have died 3 times just last year.

Caronavirus is something like 3% fatality rate worldwide. (That's obviously high because we don't know the true denominator.)

So because you have a very small risk of dying, it doesn't matter if the virus spreads so fast hospitals won't be able to cope with those who do get seriously ill and the fatality rate subsequently shoots up?
    I think he was saying the opposite.

Well, if he was, I guess I missed the point of his message and apologise.
    It's possible I did. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :smile:
  • lkpduckylkpducky Member Posts: 11,292 Member Member Posts: 11,292 Member
    Can anybody think of anything any of us do in daily life that has a 1% chance of killing us?

I know a lot of people think riding a road bike on roads in traffic is too dangerous and nobody should do it. If it had a 1% chance of death, I would have died 3 times just last year.

Caronavirus is something like 3% fatality rate worldwide. (That's obviously high because we don't know the true denominator.)

So because you have a very small risk of dying, it doesn't matter if the virus spreads so fast hospitals won't be able to cope with those who do get seriously ill and the fatality rate subsequently shoots up?

OOPS I apologize, I posted too soon
    However, there are other folks out there who do think like that.
    edited March 15
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,096 Member Member Posts: 5,096 Member
    Today the Veneto region up North (Italy) is thinking of tamponing almost everyone because so many have it without symptoms at first. An expert was arguing against it because you can get a negative result one day and have a positive the very next. Also, labs can only handle so much and this would flood them with work, when they are already struggling.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 21,917 Member Member Posts: 21,917 Member
    Re my earlier post about grocery home delivery delays: I just received this email from Stop & Shop (Pea Pod delivery):

To our valued customers:

As we continue to prioritize the safety and wellbeing of our customers and associates and do our very best to meet customers' shopping needs, we want to provide you with a few important updates regarding our store hours and Stop & Shop Delivery & Pickup.

All Stop & Shop store locations remain open and while we - like all retailers - are experiencing some shortages, we are doing everything possible to get products to our stores and to restock the shelves in every community. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding as our teams continue to work hard to do so.

The following are some key updates we’d like you to know about:

Updated Store Hours

In order to allow more time for our associates to unload deliveries, stock shelves, and better serve you throughout the day, we are adjusting our hours to 7:30a.m.-8:00p.m. at most stores beginning Monday, March 16, until further notice. (There may be some exceptions. Please visit your local store location for details. New hours will also be posted on our website Monday.)

Pickup Services Temporarily Suspended

As a result of unprecedented demand as well as product shortages in some areas, we have temporarily suspended our online pickup service until further notice. Our store associates will instead focus on stocking product and other key priorities that will better meet the needs of all customers at this time. The service will be made available again once product availability increases.

Delays with Home Delivery

We recognize that online shoppers may be experiencing delays on our website as well as with our delivery times. This is again due to extremely high demand, and our teams are working incredibly hard to ensure the site is running smoothly so that you can continue to receive orders when you need them.

Stop & Shop is continuing to maintain high levels of hygiene and sanitation in its stores and online operations. We're also taking additional measures during this time, which include wiping down checkout areas including the belts and pin pads with disinfectant even more frequently. We will continue to follow guidance from the CDC to help keep our customers and associates safe.

Our deepest thanks for continuing to support us, and we will continue to provide timely updates on our services and hours in the coming weeks.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 29,998 Member Member Posts: 29,998 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I thought the intended word was testing, given the rest of the paragraph.

I think "tamponing" meant "testing on"...I didn't' even know there was a word like tamponing but I did a search anyway. :blush:
    Today the Veneto region up North (Italy) is thinking of tamponing almost everyone because so many have it without symptoms at first. An expert was arguing against it because you can get a negative result one day and have a positive the very next. Also, labs can only handle so much and this would flood them with work, when they are already struggling.

• lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 7,946 Member Member Posts: 7,946 Member

Even the men?

Jokes aside, I can't figure out what was meant before (presumably) auto-correct got a hold of it, and it does seem central to the meaning of the post. @snowflake954 can you clarify?

Oh yes, sorry, in Italian testing kits are "tamponing". They want to test almost everyone. News today from the North is that the virus is targeting males over females. Children are affected very little. Men over 60 are at higher risk, although 40 yr olds are dying--an ambulance driver yesterday.

Thanks.
  • somethingsorightsomethingsoright Member Posts: 99 Member Member Posts: 99 Member
    The over reaction is if your in a fist 🤜 🤛 fight in the toilet paper 🧻 isle even tho you got 2 carts 🛒 full!

Australia lol 😂 happened already WTch the Morher y Daughter twinning not letting a lady grab 1 toilet paper 🧻 even tho they had all of it,but that 1!

Wow, that's nuts. I went grocery shopping the day after our governor closed the schools. No toilet paper or water whatsoever and plenty of other items completely out (oddly, floss was one of them), but atleast everyone was friendly. Other shoppers were being patient and having nice manners and the cashiers were extra helpful. It was kind of surreal how nice everyone was compared to a typical shopping experience.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,414 Member Member Posts: 5,414 Member
    Well, if I wasn't already, I guess I would be now: https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/15/all-illinois-bars-and-restaurants-to-be-closed-for-in-person-dining-amid-coronavirus-spread-gov-pritzker-orders/

People acted like complete idiots on Saturday (celebrating St Patrick's Day weekend) and so...
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 15,560 Member Member, Premium Posts: 15,560 Member
    Back on topic as originally defined, kind of: Where I live, the county health department has reduced the legal maximum capacity of all restaurants and bars by 50%, effective the evening before St. Patrick's Day.

This is in a county with approximately 293,000 residents. We have 33 confirmed positive cases in the state (Michigan) so far, and 172 under investigation (which means approved for testing). There has been one positive case in this county.

So, perhaps 50% fewer people will now be dining/drinking out?

(This is explicitly not intended to imply that I think there's anything disproportionate about this reaction, or for that matter that I think it will necessarily help. I don't know. I'm just reporting the data because it's relevant to the thread topic, and I think it's interesting and a little odd.

The reasoning behind it has not been published, that I've seen at this point, nor whether it has anything to do with (say) limitations on what the Health Department is legally empowered to do, etc. As context, many other prohibitions and closures were already in effect before this change: Gatherings over 250 prohibited, school buildings closed & going to online instruction (including Universities and K-12), many recommended/voluntary closures of other kinds of facilities like gyms and such, etc.)