Suspending Bulk During Coronavirus

Good morning,
I have been bulking for about two months and am gaining at a good rate and making nice strength gains as well. However, with the new coronavirus restrictions there’s a good chance gyms will close soon. If my lifting regimen is put on hold from this change, I know that I can still stay active with running and other cardio activities. However, I think that I will have to suspend my bulk because I will not have access to weights. What is everyone else’s approach with the change in lifestyle?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would probably do the same if I was bulking and used a commercial gym. Just try your best to maintain, keep active, incorporate some bodyweight stuff.
    My goals haven't changed as I workout at home. The kids are home from school so just have to work around their schedule.

Good luck!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    dpr73 wrote: »
    Good morning,
    I have been bulking for about two months and am gaining at a good rate and making nice strength gains as well. However, with the new coronavirus restrictions there’s a good chance gyms will close soon. If my lifting regimen is put on hold from this change, I know that I can still stay active with running and other cardio activities. However, I think that I will have to suspend my bulk because I will not have access to weights. What is everyone else’s approach with the change in lifestyle?

I am thinking of doing the exact same. Always good to be flexible in time likes these. As @sardelsa said I'm going to do a lot more bodyweight stuff. Also more Pilates and/or Yoga. Namaste.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Gym still open in the uk atm anyway. I’ll stop bulking when it closes. Unless someone can lend me their home gym. I live in Greenwich, london.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I’m in the state of Maryland and the state has ordered all gyms and restaurants to close by 5pm today.
    A staff member of my gym confirmed that they had a hard time obtaining cleaning supplies bc of the mass hoarding.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Doing the same
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    I'm stayin' home too - I don't have quite all the equipment at home but I'm going to try to let this enforced inactivity be a reason to remind myself that exercise helps with stress relief.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I had been working out at home even before the Coronavirus due to the bad flu season. There are a couple of lifts which I can’t do as easily with my equipment - for example at the gym I use the Smith machine for hip thrusts - and I need to buy more weights before I can progress on my deadlifts. But otherwise I’m set.

It’s probably a good idea to try to do as much strength at home as you can, because there’s a fairly quick drop off in strength if you stop completely. Apart from bodyweight you can use heavy objects, and make light weights count for more by swapping up your lifts - a goblet squat holding something heavy as opposed to a back squat, for example.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    I had been working out at home even before the Coronavirus due to the bad flu season. There are a couple of lifts which I can’t do as easily with my equipment - for example at the gym I use the Smith machine for hip thrusts - and I need to buy more weights before I can progress on my deadlifts. But otherwise I’m set.

It’s probably a good idea to try to do as much strength at home as you can, because there’s a fairly quick drop off in strength if you stop completely. Apart from bodyweight you can use heavy objects, and make light weights count for more by swapping up your lifts - a goblet squat holding something heavy as opposed to a back squat, for example.
    So what kind of objects do you suggest? Also, what nutrition should I follow then?
  • rheddmobile
    Water is heavy, so if you have something like an empty milk carton that’s a good home made weight. If you have two gallon jugs and a broom you can make a barbell!
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Are you looking for an excuse to come off your bulk? Not being an *kitten*, asking becuase there are plenty of excercises that can be done at home with body weight, or a couple dumbells, that will get you by for a couple weeks if worse come to worse. If your ready to come off your bulk, do it, don't search for a reason. If you want to continue, find a way to make it work. Don't let some silly, overhyped virus, stand in your way of meeting your goals.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Water is heavy, so if you have something like an empty milk carton that’s a good home made weight. If you have two gallon jugs and a broom you can make a barbell!

That makes 20 pounds. Sure can be used for weight work for a deconditioned individual most likely not enough for someone who is bulking.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Khartman6 wrote: »
    Are you looking for an excuse to come off your bulk? Not being an *kitten*, asking becuase there are plenty of excercises that can be done at home with body weight, or a couple dumbells, that will get you by for a couple weeks if worse come to worse. If your ready to come off your bulk, do it, don't search for a reason. If you want to continue, find a way to make it work. Don't let some silly, overhyped virus, stand in your way of meeting your goals.
    Khartman6 wrote: »

No but how does one maximize results when they have no access to heavy weights to partake in progressive overload? All gyms in my city have now closed.
  • rheddmobile
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

That makes 20 pounds. Sure can be used for weight work for a deconditioned individual most likely not enough for someone who is bulking.

Yeah, I think stopping the bulk sounds like a good plan. But you do what you can in the meantime so as not to lose too much ground. Have your roomie stack weights on your back while you do push-ups. Whatever works!

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Not relevant to bulking but regarding the question to no more gyms and being unable to train. I've reduced calories further as I will not have that caloric burn daily anymore and am more dialed in on diet until training can start again.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Our gym has had to close too, we are on total lockdown here, I can't even go out to do my running. The best I can do, at the moment, is Callenetics to a DVD which ironically, I had purchased several months ago. I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy Callentics, so at least that is one positive thing. I also am having to remember that not being able to do my running or weights, I cannot eat what I was before. Not unless I want to end up the size of a horse lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    If my gym shuts down I'll just adjust my programming slightly and will use other gyms or exercise selections.

My life style hasn't changed as I have a couple of the health conditions that are a red flag. I have taken the same precautions for over a decade so nothing new to extend life.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I panic-bought bumper plates and a squat rack, and I’m now working out how to temporarily cover part of my patio to have an outside gym. Most other people in the UK are panic buying loo roll but I wanted to be different 😀
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    My gym is still open because its privately owned and the owner is stubborn. I only have two weeks left of my mini bulk so I'm staying the course as long as I can while I wait for my adjustable dumbells come get delivered next week. Really wish I had a squat rack at home. But I'm kind of excited to get creative.
  • AnucuTarrok
    AnucuTarrok Posts: 1 Member
    If gyms are closed in your area and you have no equipment at home bulking is useless reduce calorie intake to a maintenance lvl and and hit cardio and body weight exercises.

So far most gyms in the uk havnt closed so im still bulking i have some ways to maintain bulking at home but might consider not bulking till the uk lockdown is over if gyms close in my area of the uk