Home workout

Hiya can anyone give me a home work out plan that I can follow to lose weight. I’m just starting out but don’t have the confidence yet to actually go to the gym it would be very much appreciated!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Calorie deficit to lose weight. Do whatever workouts you like. I'm really into step at the moment. I also lift heavy twice per week.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    As the PP said, you need to be eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Add in a workout program for added health and fitness. If you want to workout at home I highly recommend fitnessblender.com
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    When I moved, I didn't find any gyms here that I liked so I started doing The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!

I started with a few dumb bells, and eventually added a bench and a set of dumb bells with a rack:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81oqF8h5rmL._SL1500_.jpg

I like to get my cardio outdoors, and walk/hike/do trail maintenance/garden at lunch time when it's not raining, and save raining days for strength training or yoga.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Try the Sweat app by Kayla Itsines. She does awesome home-based workout plans. You need some dumbbells and a bench, ideally, but a solid chair would probably do in a pinch. Other good options are Centr by Chris Hemsworth and BeachBody on Demand.

As mentioned though, you can't out-exercise a bad diet, make sure your nutrition is on point through careful tracking on MFP. Exercise is great, and there are many reasons to do it! But it won't cause weight loss on it's own.
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Try fitness blender on YouTube. Lots of free videos.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Another vote for fitness blender. Free videos online. I have also brought a 4 week programme from them which is body weight only and mixes up HIIT, upper, lower, core and stretches.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    I have some dumbbells but wanting more. Kettlebell is good to have too. https://www.outsideonline.com/2405509/full-body-kettlebell-workout
    Stay calorie deficit to lose fat/weight and gain muscles by strength train. Do little everyday!
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    I love using fitness blender for home workouts. I just used their free workouts on their own for a few years and just recently started buying their programs (only $15) to add a little extra structure to my workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Ells01x wrote: »
    Hiya can anyone give me a home work out plan that I can follow to lose weight. I’m just starting out but don’t have the confidence yet to actually go to the gym it would be very much appreciated!

Anything you enjoy. I started out going for walks...very peaceful and relaxing and good to get the body used to moving.

Just keep in mind that exercise doesn't default to weight loss. People exercise regularly for their fitness and overall health and wellness. If exercise defaulted to weight loss, these people (including me) would simply wither away and die. Your diet is going to have far more impact on losing weight than anything else.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    It's not a plan per se, but my vote goes to the popsugar workouts on YouTube. they have plenty that are good for beginners, and plenty that are good for those who are more advanced, and most of them can be modified to make them harder or easier for you. They have a pretty wide variety to choose from...I've always been an at home workout person and I have an arsenal of DVDs, but I hardly ever use them because I like the ease of just selecting something from youtube,

And yeah...calorie deficit and eat better, of course. But not working out makes it almost impossible for me to lose weight...working out keeps me motivated, keeps me feeling like I'm "doing" more to get healthy and lose weight. Also, for me at least, it helps with my appetite, it iseems like I'm not hungry for awhile after I workout, which helps with my evening snacking (which is frequently my downfall)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I agree with @barefootbridgey : PopSugar on YouTube has pretty much everything. So much that it can be hard to find what you want. Search on "beginner." Don't be afraid to do a workout that is only 10-20 minutes at first!

And walk outdoors. That is a great start.

Finally, if you really want to improve quickly: engage a personal trainer and a nutritionist.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    I go to youtube and do "Walk Away the Pounds" when I can't get to my exercise class. It's an easy way to start and you can go at your own pace
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Why discouraged to go to the gym? If not works best for you as far as motivation and being held accountable, do it. Don't worry about other people at the gym. No one is looking at you. Just do your thing. Or maybe try a class. I recently join a pilates club and just finished my two session. I love it because there are no more than 12 people in a class. It is a nonjudgmental environment. If not, try walking. That's how I started and I felt so good after a walk. You'll be amazed how addictive exercise can be. Don't be afraid to take a risk!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I put a show on, usually a comedy sitcom, and make up my own aerobic workouts with dumbbells. I also go outside and run or walk. But I haven't purchased a gym membership in about 16 years.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I haven't had a gym membership in years, so I do most of my workouts at home.

My workouts at home mostly are:
    * Walking/hiking
    * Yoga (Dvds, Amazon Prime)
    * Just Dance on the Nintendo Switch
    * Zumba on Nintendo Switch and Amazon Prime (Note: it's hard to find good videos online, they really want you to do a live class.)
    * Kettlebell (Dvd)
    * Assorted dance based aerobic workouts (mostly Dvds/online)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I use my library a lot. They have some workout DVDs, but there are so many available through ILL. You should ask if your library does ILLs. I've gotten all kinds of Beachbody, Amy Bento, Cathe Freidrich, etc...through the library
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    I can set you up with 2 free weeks of Beachbody workouts if you’d like! So many great programs to choose from plus they have a nutrition component included to help you stay on track. I’ve been doing these programs for 4 years now!! It Can be used on any device via app or on a web browser. Happy to help where I can... Being out of work I have a lot more time to help my friends with accountability :)