March 19 Sign In

RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• WMEJA
    WMEJA Posts: 652 Member
    Daily post 3/19
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Exercised? Yes, did Kathe Pure Strength Strong Legs DVD
    Track? Yes
    Under Calories? Yes

2/3
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    craigo3154 wrote: »

The news I am most avidly searching for an following is the development of an effective cure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-19/coronavirus--drugs-and-vaccines-to-treat-and-prevent-covid-19/12067496

Summary:
    • Immunity from COVID-19 after recovery from infection likely, but not 100% confirmed.
    • Existing drugs trialled for "cure" of symptoms in progress. Worldwide teams are in a race to prove efficacy or treatments so they can be made widely available as soon as possible.
    • Widely available vaccines still a long way off.

Immunity from COVID-19 after recovery from infection likely, but not 100% confirmed.
    How does your body's immune system fight COVID-19?
    Australian researchers have found that our immune systems respond to this coronavirus in the same way as to influenza.

The immune cells that emerge in the blood before patients recover from COVID-19, are the same cells we see in people before they recover from the flu.

Researchers at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity were able to work this out by looking at multiple blood samples from one of Australia's first patients diagnosed with COVID-19.

Importantly, the research published in Nature Medicine is "the first paper that shows the body can give immunity and fight back and recover", researcher Carolien van de Sandt said.

Based on their experience with influenza patients, it also allowed the researchers to accurately predict how long the patient would take to recover from COVID-19.

But it's still too early to tell whether contracting coronavirus once would give you immunity to prevent you catching it again.

Existing drugs trialled for "cure" of symptoms in progress. Worldwide teams are in a race to prove efficacy or treatments so they can be made widely available as soon as possible.
    Could existing drugs treat COVID-19 infections?
    Early signs are promising, after Australian researchers this week revealed they are ready to begin clinical trials of a potential treatment for COVID-19 — using two existing drugs.

The drugs in question are an older HIV drug and an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine, which is rarely used now as the malaria pathogen has become resistant to it.

This phase of the trial could be as short as three months, Professor Paterson said, but it would take longer to roll the treatment out in the community, if it did prove effective.

Worldwide, Chinese doctors are completing clinical trials looking at the effectiveness of a combination of two HIV drugs, lopinavir and ritonavir, at treating COVID-19, New Scientist reported.

They are also soon to start testing a drug called remdesivir which was originally developed for Ebola.

Widely available vaccines still a long way off.
    When will we get a vaccine for COVID-19?
    Lots of different groups around the world are working on possible COVID-19 vaccines.

"There are now 15 potential vaccine candidates in the pipeline globally using a wide range of technolog[ies]: mRNA, DNA, nanoparticle, synthetic and modified virus-like particles," said microbiologist Ian Henderson of the University of Queensland.

The US National Institutes of Health announced that they have funded phase 1 clinical trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine, called mRNA-1273, which began this week.

The vaccine was able to be brought to clinical trials so quickly because researchers had already been working on a vaccine to protect against another coronavirus, which causes Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

While results from this first trial may be available within three months, it will still take at least a year and likely longer for a resulting vaccine to be widely available to the public.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Yes x3 🏋️‍♀️
  • nodm
    nodm Posts: 264 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 Sorry, I didn't notice your post yesterday so I am glad that I look back once in a while. Thanks for asking. Now I gotta track a little more exercise before closing the day.
    Take care all!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes times three.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Exercise? 34 minute walk. Fell asleep afterwards. Still in recovery.

Within my calorie plan? Yes. Missed afternoon snack due to nap, so didn't get extra calories like I was planning, but okay.

Tracked everything? Yeah.
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, the gym remains open. They require everyone to carry antiseptic spray and to spray ever surface before and after touching, no exceptions. No one with any cold of flu symptoms is allowed in, and there is hand sanitizer everywhere. I count and the most people I have seen in the gym at one time was 8, and we keep our distance from each other. It seems safe to me, what do y'all think?
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    3/19

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, walk in park at neighboring village

@RangerRickL and @craigo3154 I became aware of the possible hydroxychloroquine treatment about 6 days ago by watching the following Medcram video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vww1nIIoqmw

Our son is associated with Thermo Fisher Scientific, on the forefront of Covid-19 testing. Unlike the tests used in Asia with only 70% accuracy with many false positives and false negatives, we can expect better test results here in the U.S.

There's hope for the future here in the U.S. with diagnostic testing, treatment and vaccination. We all need to do our part and be vigilant to minimize the spread of the virus. Stay positive!