How do you track food that’s untrackable?

Options
I decided to have some mexican food from a local mom and pop shop and I want to track it. How do you track food that doesn’t provide a nutrition label? And if you estimate it, how do you know you’re factoring it in correctly so that you stay within your caloric needs?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Find a similar item and use that calorie count.

This although I will normally err on the side of caution and choose one with a calorie count that is a bit higher than the average one, or guess the weight and add a little extra.
  • ochoa_ml
    ochoa_ml Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you find your estimates slow your weightloss down as opposed to if you stuck with foods you had nutritional labels for, thus having a better calorie approximation?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    ochoa_ml wrote: »
    Do you find your estimates slow your weightloss down as opposed to if you stuck with foods you had nutritional labels for, thus having a better calorie approximation?

Nope. It didn't for weight loss and it works fine for maintenance but it only once a week or so that I have to estimate anyway. Personally I have been more likely to overestimate than underestimate those calories anyway.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can based on what's already in the databases here. And don't sweat it. If you're off your calories every now and then, it will be okay.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can based on what's already in the databases here. And don't sweat it. If you're off your calories every now and then, it will be okay.

I agree. Sometimes when I know that I have to estimate calories and macros I do a 24 hour fast before eating out. I don't do this often, but psychologically it helps me to keep things in perspective and not panic!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Make your best guess.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would add this context: maintaining is a long game. I just did a quick calculation. I've been maintaining my weight loss for over 1,500 days now. Within that length of time, any individual estimate I do on a particular day is going to average out into meaninglessness. Now if rough estimates are a frequent part of my logging, I may indeed find over time that it causes some discrepancies for me (but I would see that in observing my real life weight trend and I'd be able to make adjustments). Since I focus on logging accurately the majority of the time, the times when I've had to make truly wild guesses haven't impacted me at all.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options

@ochoa_ml
    Yes, but now I know to add 100’s more of calories. I do far better when I don’t eat out.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    I only eat one or two meals out per week, and I just make it a rule that when I eat out, anything goes. Obviously, I still try to ballpark protein for the day. But I just enjoy the meal and get back on track for the other meals that I measure. There's no sense going nuts over trying to count meals from restaurants IMO

The problem with this is that it may work for you but will not work for just anyone. A smaller daily deficit coupled with a lowish maintenance calorie amount could mean wiping out or even surpassing the entire week's deficit in a single meal.

Yes, 1-2 "anything goes" meals for me a week would almost certainly result in weight gain. The whole reason I had excess weight is that my "anything goes" can be an absolutely astonishing amount of calories and restaurants are really good at crafting calorie-dense dishes anyway.

I know not everyone was overweight for the same reasons, but this would be a complete disaster for me. My "anything goes" can be epic!

I would not have as easy of a time doubling my maintenance calories now that they have increased so much from activity but last year this time I could have done that in a single meal no problem WITHOUT liquid calories.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I decided to have some mexican food from a local mom and pop shop and I want to track it. How do you track food that doesn’t provide a nutrition label? And if you estimate it, how do you know you’re factoring it in correctly so that you stay within your caloric needs?

Try to eat small amount of it ...especially if it has fats within coz it most calorie dense components on earth
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Just estimate using a similar item in the data base and estimate the weight.

No need to do 24 hour fasts beforehand or Big work outs to compensate.

Over time, if you weight is going down, up or same as you want it to, then what you are doing is working.

If it isn't, then either tighten your logging or increase your estimation eg add, say 20% to whatever weight you guessed or quick add another, say, 500 calories when you eat out.

Over time,tweak system to whatever result in weight loss /gain/same you want.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I find something similar and log it. I've been doing it a long time. It evens out.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    I only eat one or two meals out per week, and I just make it a rule that when I eat out, anything goes. Obviously, I still try to ballpark protein for the day. But I just enjoy the meal and get back on track for the other meals that I measure. There's no sense going nuts over trying to count meals from restaurants IMO

By "anything goes," does that mean you don't log it? I weigh everything I can, and that helps me estimate what I eat when I don't make it. I still log it, and if I go over for the day -- ok, no problem. I still try to catch up for the week to stay in maintenance.

The exceptions are river trips and dive trips. I have a "recipe" called Rafter Rations and one called Diver Rations. They are a mix of fat, protein, and carbs in a reasonable combination to equal a set number of calories that is WAY over my normal day. I don't include oat sodas, but generally have a ration of those because there's no resupply along the way. I also log my activity, or at least estimate how long I'm rowing. For diving, I have a computer to tell me. But it doesn't tell me how many times I climb the ladder up to the sun deck or down to the bunk deck. For rowing, it doesn't estimate how many times I run up/down the beach to/from the boat or my hiking. I can sort of estimate that.

But for just going out to eat? There's lots in the database that might be close. I look over a few entries and make an educated guess which one is likely to fit. Over time (I have been maintaining in a +/- four or five pound range since mid-2018), I have got better at estimating. This doesn't mean I can stop weighing on a normal basis. I bet a bagel that if I quit weighing, my power of estimating would decrease, my portion size would increase, and I would have to reset my goal from maintaining to losing. I don't want that.

So - @ochoa_ml - Keep measuring, weighing, and logging all you can, and give yourself permission to estimate when you need to!