covid-19 and weight gain

naj1991
naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
Hi everyone!

So ever since this COVID-19 came along ive been making more of an effort to cook and bring my lunch to work . I'm not usually a bread person, but I have not only been eating ALOT of bread (like with every meal), I've also been eating more. Last night I made a meal for two, planning to take half for lunch, but ended up eating the whole thing in one sitting.

I don't really mind if I gain a few pounds. I am currently 5'4 and 142 (female). I'd like to be around 147. BUT with the uncertainty of how long this will go on...who knows.

Is this myth true that bread will cause weight gain?
IS anyone else worried about gaining alot of weight during this time?

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Having a lot of starchy carbs does make your retain a little water so I've heard. But tbh it's all about the calories.
  • naj1991
    also, I havent been working out at all.
  • naj1991
    It's the "eating more" part that may hurt your weight loss efforts (depending on how many more calories), not the bread.

I'm not trying to lose weight, but I dont want to gain a lot either
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,128 Member
    I know that hunkering down and comfort feeding is dangerous territory for me. Not obsessing, but trying not to eat just to fill time, either. My maintenance habits are definitely being tested.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I’m confused by why you want to weigh 147? At your height, 144 is normal BMI and 147 is overweight. Unless you are very muscular which seems unlikely if you haven’t been working out at all, 144 is likely a healthier weight for you.

If you can’t seem to stop eating larger portions than you planned, making less calorie dense foods with more bulk such as vegetables might help.
  • naj1991
    I’m confused by why you want to weigh 147? At your height, 144 is normal BMI and 147 is overweight. Unless you are very muscular which seems unlikely if you haven’t been working out at all, 144 is likely a healthier weight for you.

If you can’t seem to stop eating larger portions than you planned, making less calorie dense foods with more bulk such as vegetables might help.

I havent been working out much due to all thats going on. But yes, I have alot of muscle. I want to weigh 147 because I felt comfortable at that weight.
  • naj1991

Oh, I read the numbers the other way around thought she wanted to lose, which is why I was a bit confused. There are a few reasons to want to be a slightly overweight BMI. Wanting more muscle without losing fat is one of them, and liking the overweight look is another. Whatever it is, it's a perfectly valid goal if the person understands it comes at a very slightly increased risk. The reason I chose to maintain overweight was to have more calories. I would rather be a bit overweight and stable than normal weight and struggling. That I like the overweight look is a bonus.

Yes I would have to agree. I wouldn't say that I look overweight....I still get called slim quite often. I do have curves, but I'm overall still pretty small (and completely healthy with regular checkups). Sometimes the slightly overweight (per bmi) actually is more attractive physically to some as well as long as you're healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    naj1991 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

So ever since this COVID-19 came along ive been making more of an effort to cook and bring my lunch to work . I'm not usually a bread person, but I have not only been eating ALOT of bread (like with every meal), I've also been eating more. Last night I made a meal for two, planning to take half for lunch, but ended up eating the whole thing in one sitting.

I don't really mind if I gain a few pounds. I am currently 5'4 and 142 (female). I'd like to be around 147. BUT with the uncertainty of how long this will go on...who knows.

Is this myth true that bread will cause weight gain?
    IS anyone else worried about gaining alot of weight during this time?

Bread in and of itself doesn't cause weight gain...calories in excess of what you need cause weight gain, wherever they come from.

I'm personally not concerned about weight gain...my eating habits haven't really changed at all with any of this. I'm also getting in more exercise since I have more time and I'm minus my 2 hour commute. I've been going for walks in the AM and getting some really good rides in for the afternoon/evening...usually 60+ minutes.
  • YvonneAbdi
    YvonneAbdi Posts: 8 Member
    I would make sure your macros are balanced too. Calories help with weight loss but macros help with body composition, fat loss and muscle retention. Bread isn't as filling as other carbs like vegetables which are calorie dense too. But I was super protein deficient and so I literally weigh the same but put on over 10 lbs. of muscle and lost 10 lbs. of fat! I didn't realize how important getting enough protein (that's 30 g - 4 times a day, for me at 5'6" and 130 lbs) is for the body to retain and build muscle and it also is a natural appetite suppressant. Bread is usually not low glycemic - I switched to Ezekiel sprouted bread and it helped me feel fuller longer. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. I wish I was given that advice sooner. Pay attention to calories and Macros.
  • Jerrid1
    Jerrid1 Posts: 1 Member
    I think we all are struggling with this atm. I think it’s more of calorie intake then it has to do with carbs. I’m a carb lover and will always be never could gain weight until I started eating more calories ...currently during this covid 19 lock down I’ve gained 6 pounds but been eating a lot more calories
  • naj1991
    update...its been a few weeks and for the most part ive been able to maintain. my work pants are getting a tad tighter, but i dont mind it too much. I think its okay for me to eat a bit more now, since i want to gain some weight ,but still keeping everything else in check

how is everyone elses quarantine going
  • bradm24
    bradm24 Posts: 4 Member
    Quarantine is going good, gotta make the most out of what you have in terms of exercise equipment and foods. One thing you could look into if you're worried about the quarantine weight gain is intermittent fasting. It's a lot easier to not eat for a prolonged period when you're at home doing nothing! I've been incorporating some fasting to maintain a fairly low body fat percentage while stuck with home workouts..
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,122 Member
    bradm24 wrote: »
    Quarantine is going good, gotta make the most out of what you have in terms of exercise equipment and foods. One thing you could look into if you're worried about the quarantine weight gain is intermittent fasting. It's a lot easier to not eat for a prolonged period when you're at home doing nothing! I've been incorporating some fasting to maintain a fairly low body fat percentage while stuck with home workouts..

I feel exactly the opposite of the bolded. When I was working, I was so busy, I naturally did intermittent fasting. Now that I am home, I think about food all the time, and wake up in the morning hungry. I don't have all the work distractions and time restrictions that kept me intermittent fasting.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    pkeye wrote: »
    I am not exercising as much either, all gyms are closed, walking only (weather permitting) and riding my horse (but limited due to social distancing). Yes, I am eating more due to anxiety. This situation is very nerve-wracking both healthwise and financially in our home, hoping and praying it ends sooner than later!

The anxiety is killing me. Have been stuffing my face to soothe these uneasy feelings. Can't seem to stop eating.
  • naj1991
    iowalinda wrote: »
    pkeye wrote: »
    I am not exercising as much either, all gyms are closed, walking only (weather permitting) and riding my horse (but limited due to social distancing). Yes, I am eating more due to anxiety. This situation is very nerve-wracking both healthwise and financially in our home, hoping and praying it ends sooner than later!

The anxiety is killing me. Have been stuffing my face to soothe these uneasy feelings. Can't seem to stop eating.

same! I've been trying to eat healthy, but I guess i Have been eating more. Got on the scale today at im 145, up from 140.