Can I export data out of MFP that lets me see calories in, vs calories out

WE enter all this information about calories we eat, vs calories we put out.

But I just recently realised that there is no way in the web page or the phone app to do a comaprison. eg. calories in vs calories out. But also to show the macro nutrient breakdowns at the same time.,

SO the only way to do it is to export the data, then massage it into a spreadsheet.

Is this possible before I continue any further with MFP?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    There exists a "reports" section and a premium (paid) export feature. I would say that heavy analysis would require workarounds or investing in premium. Your food diary shows your calories in and your macro breakdown. You can create from the web food diary a report that would show you several days of food consumption. The android app shows you your nutrition by day and by week. I believe that, again, it shows you even more with a paid subscription.

Whether there are better bargains out there, I am not sure, would love to find out! A quick look around says that restricting some of the more appealing app features to paid users is a common monetizing strategy.
  • norman_cates
    norman_cates Posts: 95 Member
    I have premium. And glad to export data to munge it around. But I then found that MFP has lost my data that I need. The vast majority of my historical data is missing off the website. It appears to be on my phone. They appear to be incapable of forcing my phone to upload it's data to the website.
  • mwbirren
    mwbirren Posts: 14 Member
    norman_cates, I ran into the same thing (MFP lost some of my diary data, but it is on my phone). I posted this before I saw your comment:
    I want to go back in time and see the kind of things I ate when I initially lost weight as inspiration.
    I've been logging since ~2011, but it seems the food diary only starts showing stuff in 2018! I am a Premium member and expected more. I mean does a diary really take up that much disk space?
    Frustrated.
    MikeB
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I use a spreadsheet and I do not bother with exporting data. I enter calories, exercise, and current weight daily because it is easier. I determine the results of CICO then compare to actual results. For a long time I believed things were different enough for me that made weight loss harder but 18 months of tracking says that I lose weight at around 3500 calories per pound.

The things that make it problematic to do within the MFP platform are exercise (accuracy percentage) and the time delay to get reliable results. People would want to see the analysis right away and from my experience even 6 weeks is just a first rough draft and I am male.
  • norman_cates
    norman_cates Posts: 95 Member
    The reason to use MFP for me is that is has the food database and macro breakdowns. It makes it really easy to do the recording. IF I had to work it all out manually to put into a spreadsheet I wjust wouldn't do it. Life is too short to spend that much time each day manually calculating calories.