Outdoor cardio for the win!

Right now it's very easy to practice social distancing while getting a good workout cycling, running, hiking, skiing, etc.

Being outdoors is good for your health, especially when the sun is out. Exercise is good for your immune system. It's also good for your mood and for reducing anxiety; these are going to be a struggle for many people.

You don't have to spend $500 on home gym equipment to stay active through this. If you have a pair of shoes you're golden.

Finally, when the weather doesn't cooperate, dress for it as well as you can, do your thing, then come home, take a hot shower, put fresh clothes on, and you'll feel brand new.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Absolutely! Thankfully, I can't work from home so it's business as usual for me, however, the whole area where my office is located is like a ghost town. I can hardly wait to hit the hiking trails this afternoon for a 2 hour hike again (for the third day in a row)!

My yoga studio is closed but they're having classes on the river walk so I'll get to do one of those, too. I realize I'm very fortunate and I'm grateful to be able to be active still.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Agreed... Social distancing in its finest form!
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    I'm trying to convince myself to get out and run today even tho it's crappy out lol
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    I went for a three hour snowshoe today. The first hour was a steady climb. Had a stop for lunch under a brilliant blue sky overlooking a ravine (even had wine with lunch). Then back down the hillside. I haven't gone to a gym in years :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I went skiing today, cross country, no lifts. Not a cloud in the sky! It was deliciously warm and sunny. A few trails through the woods are still pretty firm. I did the duck walk up several hills, and then charged fearlessly into a hairpin turn coming down a steep hill - and wound up on my *kitten*. 🙂

There were several (a dozen?) people at the Nordic area, but nobody else on my favorite trail, so I did laps up and down this fun little skill park for turning.

It was a great day. I charged up enough hills that it was a good aerobic workout, burned a ton of calories, avoided people, enjoyed great scenery, and had fun. Doing stuff like this carries me through the week.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    I went skiing today, cross country, no lifts. Not a cloud in the sky! It was deliciously warm and sunny. A few trails through the woods are still pretty firm. I did the duck walk up several hills, and then charged fearlessly into a hairpin turn coming down a steep hill - and wound up on my *kitten*. 🙂

There were several (a dozen?) people at the Nordic area, but nobody else on my favorite trail, so I did laps up and down this fun little skill park for turning.

It was a great day. I charged up enough hills that it was a good aerobic workout, burned a ton of calories, avoided people, enjoyed great scenery, and had fun. Doing stuff like this carries me through the week.

I went out to our nordic area three times last week and it was pretty much the same experience (minus the fall!). The grooming is holding up, barely, due to below freezing temps at night and then quite warm during the day. I need to use my season pass 10 times to make it "pay" for itself. This winter, my first as a retired person, I've used it 34 times 🙂
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It was a little chilly this morning but the sun was shining and hardly saw a soul on my run (and I was running on the roads as my beloved recreational paths are a sheet of ice at the moment, balmy temperatures & melting last week followed by plummeting mercury)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cycling is keeping me sane.
    Added bonus is that traffic levels are far lighter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    My husband and I are running outside. Our local parks are too crowded so we’ve been running our neighborhood.

Stay safe, y’all. Outdoor cardio is a great way to stay healthy, but not if you injure yourself - you don’t want to end up in the ER right now. Be careful trying new and unusual activities.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I agree! We walk our two dogs every single day no matter how much its snowing or raining, its not always fun but once you get home and take a shower you feel awesome! Have been doing alot of hiking since all the gyms are closed
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    YEY!!! I"ve been trying to get out and run every other day since gym is closed. I'm also taking my eight year old for walks/bike rides on my "rest" days from running. Got to have something to keep from going stir crazy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Spring is in full swing here in NM. The whole family is here hunkered down in the house, working from home, etc. We've been getting in a family walk or ride in the AM and my wife and I are taking turns watching the boys and getting in some runs (her) and some good rides (me) in the afternoon/evening. Couldn't decide whether to road ride today or hit some trails on my mountain bike...I opted for a nice little single track that runs along the river through my rural village just outside of Albuquerque. Boys are spending a lot of time on the trampoline, and in another month or so it should be warm enough to start swimming.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Decent ski day. 🙂
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    No go where I live. We are on 22 hour full quarantine (the time you can go out is determined by your id number), and you can only do essential errands like go to the grocery store or bank during that time. Rule violators get arrested.