Scammers

Sableprncs
Sableprncs Posts: 15 Member
I havnt been a part of the community that long so wondering has anyone had any trouble/ experience with scammers on MFP? Because I just became friends with this guy and hes screaming scammer to me but not sure if I'm just being paranoid. He says hes originally from usa but his english is so bad I'm like there is no way you are from usa originally. Also he wants to chat off of MFP, that's a huge red flag.

Just wondering, because it seems strange to me to try and use this app for hook ups, but I guess people do. 🤷‍♀️🙄

Replies

• that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    iv justtt Ben drmnking a lil that s all 🇺🇸

• _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    I love chatting off of MFP. KIK has the best recipes🥰
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    U should just go along with it...invent a new identity and let him scam that one instead.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Don't tell him any personal info, don't buy anything, or click on any links, and when in doubt block.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    people do
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Sableprncs wrote: »
    I havnt been a part of the community that long so wondering has anyone had any trouble/ experience with scammers on MFP? Because I just became friends with this guy and hes screaming scammer to me but not sure if I'm just being paranoid. He says hes originally from usa but his english is so bad I'm like there is no way you are from usa originally. Also he wants to chat off of MFP, that's a huge red flag.

Just wondering, because it seems strange to me to try and use this app for hook ups, but I guess people do. 🤷‍♀️🙄

There are strange people everywhere. If you're chatting with someone and something doesn't feel right, block them and don't reply. From my experience almost everyone I have meet here have been respectful and I've made great friendships.
  • Sableprncs
    Sableprncs Posts: 15 Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • Emma_Charlotte123
    Emma_Charlotte123 Posts: 65 Member
    There are loads on here. Can spot them a mile off. I had three yesterday all asking me exactly the same questions with terrible spelling.....
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    I'm newly back on this site. Was friended by a really nice looking, younger than me, man (big red flag - really nice looking, younger than me, men just don't friend me); he has nothing in his profile, his phrasing is "off" when he writes to "chat" and he has offered nothing about himself. So, I did a google search on his profile pic. Nice looking man came back with several hits on romancescam.com and a couple of other similar sites. I'm blocking. :)
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,601 Member
    I think you have to follow your gut feeling. But let me say this. I befriended a person on here.Then after awhile they started asking for money. As soon as it didnt work out their way. They said,thanks for wasting my time. Which was very hurtful because I thought we had become friends. So I cut them off. So just be careful and aware.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,540 Member
    I don't get it as much not having a profile but still get a strange one every once and awhile. Trust your gut instinct, block them and don't respond to emails.
  • debhammond21
    debhammond21 Posts: 7 Member
    Ugh…I had one today. Supposedly in Iraq in the military, retiring in 3 months, a deceased wife with two children. Why do people do this? Of course his grammar was horrible and wanted to chat on another site. Yikes!!
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2023

OMG yes! Recently, too. Supposedly American, male adult, but something about the way he texted, wording, etc. was off. The messages seemed innocent at first - usual fitness related stuff, than got waaaay out of line.
  • crazyhorse8
    crazyhorse8 Posts: 617 Member
    Hello, yes this happened to me last August! He was really skilled at deception...but it was another friend that alerted me about these scammers. So I cut it off immediately after all the things she pointed to. I was so upset for several months. Be careful!
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Hello, yes this happened to me last August! He was really skilled at deception...but it was another friend that alerted me about these scammers. So I cut it off immediately after all the things she pointed to. I was so upset for several months. Be careful!

I'm glad you listened to your friend! Years ago, under a different MFP account, I was very socially active on here and had a friend who I thought was going through the same thing. She was getting really attached to this guy and there was something really sketchy about the details he was giving her but she took offense to me pointing it out. A pointed out another guy she was chatting with and well, we're not friends anymore.
  • crazyhorse8
    crazyhorse8 Posts: 617 Member

I'm glad you listened to your friend! Years ago, under a different MFP account, I was very socially active on here and had a friend who I thought was going through the same thing. She was getting really attached to this guy and there was something really sketchy about the details he was giving her but she took offense to me pointing it out. A pointed out another guy she was chatting with and well, we're not friends anymore.

I'm glad I listened too, even though it really left me in a bad spot mentally...would have been much worse later on. Too bad your friend didn't listen to you!