Heart rate

Hi just a quick question. Is it normal for your HR to go from 100 to 170 within just a few mins of jogging? I feel fine its just super concerning that it escalates so quickly at such a slow pace 4.5-5 mph. My resting HR is usually 54-58bpm. Thanks for any info

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    You might just have a very high max heartrate. That's nothing to worry about but genetics. If you're new to running ditch the HR meter and go with a pace at which you can still talk coherently. You can alternative that with running workouts where you can still kind of talk. And workouts where you can't. Obviously, those runs would be shorter and a lot shorter. But I would first build up endurance and start slow and steady to give your muscles, especially legs and feet the chance to get used to it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Smiths0510 wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question. Is it normal for your HR to go from 100 to 170 within just a few mins of jogging? I feel fine its just super concerning that it escalates so quickly at such a slow pace 4.5-5 mph. My resting HR is usually 54-58bpm. Thanks for any info

How long have you been running for? Are you going up an incline? Does it stay that high or drop back down once you're warmed up? Is your HRM a wrist one or a chest strap?

Mine will do that at times deepening on how much sleep I've, hydration etc and then usually settles back down after a few minutes. I also noticed that I seem to get erratic readings more frequently when I switched from my trusty old Garmin 920 to the Fenix (I might just pair my chest strap to see if it still happens).

If you're not feeling unduly out of breath or dizzy it's probably noting to worry about, it could also just be a matter of adaptation if you're fairly new to running.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    How out of breath are you and how long can you run at this speed? My longer jog sessions (30to 60 minutes) are around 4mph.

Very slow, yes, but I can still talk while jogging at that speed, which is what you should be aiming for if you're new to running.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Is that happening every time you run or just occasionally? I've had my watch get very screwy, telling me my HR was 205 a few minutes into my workout. I turned off the watch and started over. If your HR is normally high and stays high, then ask your self whether you are breathless or able to speak in whole sentences while running. If the latter, you're fine. If the former, then slow down signficantly.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I was running first time in ages yesterday. Near the end of that very slow, short run my hr hit 182. Yeah, nothing to see here. It’s normal for me. Give it a few weeks and I’ll run at a lower hr at this pace, or a lot faster at a similar one.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    On occasion my heart rate jumps to a silly high rate when I just get started. Once I warm up and get into a rhythm, it goes to a more normal rate.