Working out after donating blood?

I'm going to make an appt to donate blood, which I haven't done in a long time. Can anyone tell me their experience with working out afterwards? Did it take a few days to get back to normal? Weeks? Or could you not even tell?

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I give blood regularly - this is my experience.

I don't do anything more intense than walking right afterwards the day of. I do my regular workout the next morning. What I do notice is that it sometimes takes a bit more effort to get the same results the morning after (that is, I'll be running a bit slower but feeling like I'm running at a normal pace -- it isn't something I consciously notice, it's only something I observe looking at my results after the run). I wouldn't give blood the week or two before a big race, but other than that I don't make any adjustments.

If you're currently in a deficit (I am not), your results may be different. I do make sure that I go into the donation fully hydrated and I drink lots of liquids afterwards too. I think this helps.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Also, thanks for donating blood! It's always a good time, but now is especially good.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I too give blood regularly.

I always do a big workout prior to donating. I then take it easy for the rest of the day. Proper hydration and nutrition is extremely important before and after. My run the next day is a short easy run, I am not out to break any records!!

Thanks for donating!!!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    i pop blood vessels after donating wherever im stuck
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Another regular donator.
    It depends.
    Sometimes I feel it a lot. The next time I don't feel it at all.
    I have never worked out or gone for a long run the same day after donating. But I have played vigorous tennis. Nothing terrible has happened. As I said, at least one time when I did it I felt that I was breathing harder than I otherwise might have, and I got fatigued faster. Other times, I have hardly noticed at all.
    Same is true for long runs and gym sessions the next day and/or other days thereafter.
    I know they tell you not to exercise for 48-72 hours, or whatever it is. But the place where I donate knows exactly when I am eligible to donate again and they do not waste a second calling me up. Hence, I defy the advice, or I'd miss all kinds of workouts.
    Anyway, nothing terrible has happened to me. I've just felt a bit tired and/or not performed very well. Sometimes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My husband usually needs to wait 24 hrs. Walking etc is ok, but not a regular workout.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Okay, that's nice, I thought it would take a week or more to be able to get back to it. I thought I was going to donate today, so I had a couple of good snacks, went to the place...and realized I'm actually scheduled for this coming Sunday, not today! Oh well, I'll be up for a good run tomorrow!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My blood pressure tends to run a bit low anyway, so it is pretty low after a donation. I was barely within the limits to donate last time so was really low after. I really felt it and had to basically hydrate and take rests on the couch and got light headed when rising. I do better working out before donating, take it easy the rest of the day. You should be good to go next day, but just listen to your body.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I usually do double reds, and don't even try to exercise after donating on that day. I tried it once and it was awful - I had almost no energy and felt sick. I find even the next day's exercise intensity suffers.

There's a reason they tell you not to do strenuous exercise after donating!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    i pop blood vessels after donating wherever im stuck

Likewise. I donated early morning and went to the gym about 5PM. First set of deadlifts, noticed blood starting to ooze out of stuck area, felt fine other than that. From then on just walked or something pretty minimal.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2020
    I give blood every 2 months. I would never do anything more strenuous than taking a walk or doing yoga after a donation . Maybe try working out that morning instead, but make sure to eat a really good meal and hour before donating if you exercise before. If you donate later in the day, listen to the blood bank people and don't do a heavy workout. You should be totally fine to exercise (almost) normally the next day.