Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    After a few days of no community transmitted cases (all cases are either already quarantined or of known trackable origins), the curfew has been scaled back. Corner stores are now open, and we are allowed to be outside before 6 pm. I expected total chaos now that people are free to go out, but it appears a full curfew has changed how seriously they are taking this. They now stand in line and keep a proper distance between them all on their own. We have enough small stores everywhere, and larger stores are only open for delivery.
    xvotkl4d37tm.jpg

What country are you in again and when did you start taking measures to prevent community spread?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Question: Those asymptomatic people who test positive--do they develop symptoms eventually, or do some never become symptomatic? In the above example of CA testing temperatures, can they be sure all of the people with normal temps are Covid-19 negative?

My understanding is that not everyone develops symptoms, but of course we don't know much about it yet at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/23/have-i-already-had-covid19-coronavirus
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Indiana update

Tested: 2,931
    Positive: 365
    Deaths: 12

Marion and Hamilton counties (where I work and live) have both jumped up in cases at 161 and 25 respectively.

I am feeling better. My cough is a lot less frequent and still no fever. I am SO nauseated this morning though. No idea what is up. Hope it is not a stomach bug because I just don't know if I could deal with that right now. And since I am working and can't get to the store, I can't get some ginger ale. I asked my family if anyone was going out to look. If they can't I will reach out to a friend to see if she is willing. Hopefully someone can. I am struggling this morning.

Do you have some ginger in your spice cabinet? I've never really tried it myself, but you might be able to make some ginger tea if no one can find ginger ale for you.

Hope the nausea goes away for you! I hate feeling that way - I'm the sort of person who doesn't retch easily, so when I get nauseated, I am miserable for hours.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited March 2020
    @Athijade Hang in there!

SA just had its second death - 40-year old woman. They haven't said if she had any preexisting conditions. As of last night we had 69 cases with 58% of those in people under the age of 50. We've tested just under 500 people so far. I'm hoping with the stay at home order now in place that we see the number slow down over the next week.

Part of our stay at home order closes non-essential businesses, which includes salons/barbers. I knew I should have gone for a haircut a week ago.... I ended up taking the scissors to my hair yesterday afternoon, and I asked my husband to use the clippers on the back of my neck to clean up my hairline. Not the best looking haircut I've ever had, but at least curly hair is forgiving in that respect.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I love this! I'm not in New Zealand, but I stuck a couple in my window anyway.

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    I braved the grocery store today in the Chicago area.

They were fairly well-stocked, except for paper products and dairy. There was minimal milk, cheese, and eggs. Not totally out, but choices were limited. I had to get organic, brown, cage-free eggs (for $4 a dozen). Fancy cheese was plentiful as was organic milk ($6 a gallon). This is okay temporarily but my husband was laid off so we are operating at half out regular income here. If this continues, I might have to check other stores in the area for better deals. Everything else I needed, I got...meat was fully stocked.

People were good about waiting 6 feet apart at the checkout lanes, and cashiers were disinfecting their stations between every customer.

As an amusing side-note, the cars in the parking lot were parked in every other space. Do cars need to social distance?
    (Yeah, I know, people were probably thinking that they didn't want to get too close to anyone while loading their groceries, but it just looked funny to me).

Single income household here too (my husband is in school full time). I noticed the same thing the last time I was in the grocery store - only milk available was Fairlife, which was way more than I wanted to spend, or skim, which doesn't work well for cooking. I hope the stimulus package that was just passed helps y'all out! I haven't looked too hard at it, because politics is making my head explode these days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the politicians actually did something useful for a change.

I dread going to the grocery store right now, because there are long lines just to get into our most common grocery chain, and the less common ones just don't have stock when I go. I have to go sometime this week though to pick up eggs and flour for my grandmother. Maybe I'll try going out first thing in the morning, and see if I can beat the rush....
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I braved the grocery store today in the Chicago area.

They were fairly well-stocked, except for paper products and dairy. There was minimal milk, cheese, and eggs. Not totally out, but choices were limited. I had to get organic, brown, cage-free eggs (for $4 a dozen). Fancy cheese was plentiful as was organic milk ($6 a gallon). This is okay temporarily but my husband was laid off so we are operating at half out regular income here. If this continues, I might have to check other stores in the area for better deals. Everything else I needed, I got...meat was fully stocked.

People were good about waiting 6 feet apart at the checkout lanes, and cashiers were disinfecting their stations between every customer.

As an amusing side-note, the cars in the parking lot were parked in every other space. Do cars need to social distance?
    (Yeah, I know, people were probably thinking that they didn't want to get too close to anyone while loading their groceries, but it just looked funny to me).

Single income household here too (my husband is in school full time). I noticed the same thing the last time I was in the grocery store - only milk available was Fairlife, which was way more than I wanted to spend, or skim, which doesn't work well for cooking. I hope the stimulus package that was just passed helps y'all out! I haven't looked too hard at it, because politics is making my head explode these days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the politicians actually did something useful for a change.

I dread going to the grocery store right now, because there are long lines just to get into our most common grocery chain, and the less common ones just don't have stock when I go. I have to go sometime this week though to pick up eggs and flour for my grandmother. Maybe I'll try going out first thing in the morning, and see if I can beat the rush....

The problem with the stimulus package...for income levels, they are using your 2018 tax returns or 2019 if you have already filed. This doesn't take into account people who have lost their jobs due to this crisis. If, as an individual, you made $75,000 last year, but now are unemployed, you don't qualify. Plus, if you do qualify, a one-time payment of $1,200 doesn't cover one month's rent/mortgage for a lot of people.

It would make more sense, and do more good, to focus on expanding unemployment benefits and making it easier for people to sign up and receive these benefits. I think this is a part of the bill as well, but I think more could be done there. Then, you have unemployed people receiving regular benefits instead of a lump sum. But, it looks better politically to just send checks out to people.

I just worry about what ELSE in in the bill...and how much large corporations stand to take advantage, while small businesses and individuals are thrown a bone. I'll have to look into details, though, once they release them. I'm just always cynical in thinking that politicians are going to do what's best for them and their campaign donors.

No reason for you not to be cynical. They justify your cynicism, over and over.
    ❤️from a fellow cynic.

The really sad thing is, how many legislators actually read the whole bill, and actually know everything that’s in the bill they voted for.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

My neighborhood (perhaps it was more widespread, but we have a neighborhood association email list and FB page and that's where I heard about it) was doing that with shamrocks in the window the week of St Patrick's Day.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Does anyone know the list of most recent state shut downs? I know Vermont and Washington are(I think!) as of 5 p.m. today. What other states are on that list? I google for info and I only get news from a day or more ago, which in this current environment, is already old news. :( Thank you!

Here a good map from yesterday: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-stay-at-home-order.html

You can get notices on your phone and computer for updated news if you want -- I am constantly being updated by the Trib, among others, and state decisions about stay at home orders has been among that. They also have a running report of the latest stuff.

That said, it might be better for mental health not to do that. My computer constantly telling me the latest bad thing when I'm trying to focus on work or whatnot isn't always great.