Garden questions

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Does anyone here start their garden using seeds from the vegetables you eat? My dh suggested I save seeds from green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. and just start plants myself. I do NOT have a green thumb. :( Typically I'll buy starter plants of most veggies and even then, sometimes have to buy more and start over. :(

I'd love some advice for how to successfully save the seeds and do this myself. Or some good how-to links you use. I'll have to order starter soil and pots online as I really don't feel comfortable going to very many places ATM.

I did save some spaghetti squash seeds and dried them but they don't look very healthy. :( So I don't think I know what I'm doing.

Thank you!!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    The only time I did this was with green chile seeds. I had a fresh batch of roasted Anaheim chiles that I was chopping and they had a lot of seeds so I separated a good bunch, spread them out on a paper plate and put them in my microwave (not on; just a dark, dry place) for about a week. It's important that they dry completely first. Then I planted them in my regular outdoor planters and they grew!

I'd like to try other things but haven't yet. This may be the year to do so.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Just peeking in to say you might like this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10708195/garden-thread#latest
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    help everyone attacked by June Bugs last night, came out this morning they were all over my seedlings and on my foliage. I have never had this happen before. I looked up some stuff on the internet but there isn't any specific treatment for them and they can decimate your garden very quickly. I over wintered over 200 plants in the garage with heaters and led grow lights. i think they are attracted to the grow lights but if i turn them off my seedlings will die,