60 yrs and up

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) Today I tried a line dance class on ZOOM. It was easy to follow and the instructor did a good job. It inspired me to practice some the dances I teach in my class.

<3 Barbie fom NW WA
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Forewarned means Forarmed

Have a great and healthy day tomorrow :):)
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Happy hump day group. I've got to tell you how much having this thread has helped during these troubling days. Thank you for the words of positivity especially to @barbiecat and @lynnchristy . Yesterday was a tough one for me. I'm not sleeping well, think I may have overdone the resistance bands leaving my arthritic shoulders painful in the night. Anyway yesterday I just wanted something to eat, I know I wasn't hungry because I had eaten already. It could have gone badly had I not taken a cat nap and the time, tea and talk to myself about how my lifestyle changes depended on me recognizing what I needed to do to stay on track. I thought about the many tips I've learned on the 60+ thread and stepped back from the food cravings, got up and moved in careful mode and decided I would stay positive and not let myself or my friends here down. We're all in this together and it spells success.

The stay connected video to the grandchildren yesterday was a gardening lesson. They don't need to know I consider the pots on my deck a survival garden this spring. I shared the view of pots containing lettuce plants purchased from garden center before I decided to shelter in place. Both a mixed variety loose leaf and my past success container Red Sky pots had lettuce ready to pick. Showed them the Black Seeded Simpson seeds/seedlings as well as basil in the window sill to rotate out when it's time. Also have radish seedlings coming up in the big pot around the Red Sky. It's a real treat having lettuce ready to harvest. I was just out of green leafy and the new norm means I can't walk to the store every day or so just because I need something. No, we need to make due with what we have as @AnnPT77 pointed out in one of her posts.

71puhlg0za2t.jpg

At the end of the day my tracker had my calories in the red by only -10. It could have been bad but I got this, that’s my lifestyle change plan in action.

Hope y'all are well.
    Listen to the medical experts advice.
    Do your part, stay home, stay safe.
    Thank you my friends. Om…..

• barbiecat
    :)alligatorbob, Since I am the teacher, I can easily dance by myself at home. There are now line dance classes on Facebook and Zoom, but I've been dancing by myself. Your mountains and wilderness pictures are impressive and you actually walk in the picture postcard locations. I just see the mountains from my tidy neighborhood. The Governor of Washington has asked people to not hike in remote places on the chance that they might have problems that require help from resources badly needed elsewhere.

:) j29t I have frequent bouts of wakefulness and I read to fill the time or to lull myself back to sleep. I read on my Kindle app on my phone so I can keep the lights off and not disturb the dogs and cat. Your gardening is impressive, even more so because you shared the skill with your grandchildren from afar.

:) I just told hubby how much I spent at the grocery store on Monday and he was amazed because it was more than twice what we usually spend but then I reminded him that we now have plenty of everything we need including toilet paper and all his favorite snacks.

:) I have been listening to a podcast called "The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos". If you are a podcast listener, I highly recommend it . If you are not a podcast listener, I highly recommend that you give podcasts a try. They are great company and on your phone can go with you when you walk (compared to TV that lures you to the couch).

:) Hubby is baking rye bread today. I slice it and freeze the slices so I can enjoy one slice a day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone! Hey josephinebowman I wait until after Mother’s Day to plant tomatoes I put them in a good size pot and water with miracle grow once a week . That works really well for me. Have a good day!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Good day all. Yesterday was terrible and I have packed on a few pandemic pounds! Oh, well, back on the horse I go. Covid is getting to me a bit. Went for a glorious walk along the Pacific Ocean this AM. There is a walking path 5 minutes from my house. We look out on the spectacular mountains of Washington State. Did you see me wave to you @barbiecat? Be safe everyone and try to make healthy choices.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Hello all. Cool and misty -- I mean the weather, not me. Can't say any big exciting anything happened today. Maybe tomorrow, da da da dant.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    j29t, my arm pain flaired up & it's been excruciating, I could hardly sleep. I don't know what it is but hasn't been this bad in several months. couldn't go to work today so I hope I'm ok by tomorrow night for work on friday. I so admire all of you for gardening, I'm not a gardener although I did plant some mint in a very large pot outside & it's taken off. I make green juice every week & put mint among other veggies in it. We went regular monthly grocery shopping last monday so have what we usually buy for a month except short trips in between for bread, milk etc. I'm waiting for my Dr to get back to me about pain meds. I usually don't take prescription anything but I gota do something besides tylenol. Thank you everyone for sharing
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    Eva - hope your arm feels better soon!
    Steve - glad you got a walk in!
    Bacpath - dont worry you will get back to it
    Linda - I normally wait till mothers day to plant my tomatoes too but this year I got a but aheadvof myself and stared early but just planted my cherry Tom's!
    Barbie - the bread sound yummy!
    JT92 - Great lettice
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi, y'all. So Idaho got the stay-at-home order yesterday. We will see how compliance goes. There are a lot of very independent people here. I'm going to try to continue to walk in deserted areas. I will go stir crazy otherwise.
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good afternoon 60 & uppers :) We went and did some grocery shopping this morning. There were very few people in the stores, all seniors that I saw and everyone was being really good about distancing themselves. It has been a pretty good week so far as to moving and eating :smiley: Monday will be the big tell.

annliz23 Hi there, I think I will do as you and Linda do and try to plant some tomatoes this year, thanks you two :smiley:

Evamutt, prayers going up for your arm pain o:) I had a time sleeping last night because I had some bad shoulder pain :'( Feel better soon (((hug)))

josephinebowman, you are funny :D and I think you're cool. Thanks for the chuckle.

alteredsteve175, goodness that won't do :o Perhaps you could try the grocery stores, they are pretty deserted... Oh, wait that won't work with a dog... never mind :blush:

bacpath, don't fret, those pounds will disappear as quickly as this stupid virus does :smile:

lindagalbreath577, I am going to do the same as you and annliz23 so I can have some nice tomatoes this summer, thanks :smiley:

barbiecat, good idea about the podcasts, thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works as to keeping me busy :smiley:

j29t, we were extremely careful while we were out, stayed a safe distance from others, took hand sanitizer with us and used each time we got back into the car. Your lettuce looks wonderful :p

alligatorob, your last pictures remind me of the terrain when I lived in New Mexico for eight years, some of it was pretty rugged. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. Hope you enjoyed your walk.

7sorok, thanks for sharing the info about ibuprofen. We (hubby and I) heard about that a while back and stopped using it right away.

OneRegularCoffee Welcome :)

Have a blessed day everyone :smiley:

Shout out to my friends <3

P.S. lindagalbreath577 and annliz23 I can't remember everyone's name either, I have to open two browsers and go back and forth too LOL
  • barbiecat
    :) Helped hubby with yardwork, danced for 30 minutes, and walked dogs for two hours
    We had "find it and fix it" for lunch and now I am relaxing with all of you. <3
    <3 Barbie from NW WA
  • josephinebowman
    Lovely day - why I wanted to live in Virginia way back when. Went to doctor appt since she insisted I come in before renewing Rx. She is out sick. We talked on phone. I will discontinue 2 meds but refilled all others. My husband's kid is on my nerves (that's him turned sideways) and maybe all he will get for birthday tomorrow is small chocolate cake. I have hopes the stay at home orders/requests will help but wonder who is staying put--no one on my street and don't even be kind and say perhaps they are essential. Some lady drove over my flowers at edge of yard turning around (dead end street) and I have no admiration b/c she delivered just beer to neighbor who is not elderly nor needy. I was going to say Thank heavens it is Friday but kid says it is maybe Thursday.
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    josephinebowman, you are a hoot! I love your posts! I have been offline for a few days, just can't muster any enthusiasm for much of anything. Today was a great day, upper 70s and sunny, so I forced myself to get out and walk the dog. We both enjoyed it, actually. Been thinking about a walk in the woods to look for morels but I believe it is still too early here in mid-MO. Just getting out of town by myself in the woods does sound good though. Haven't been to the grocery store in 3 weeks, just don't want to go down that path. Can't stay away forever though cause I'm all out of fresh produce. Things are getting dicey here, our confirmed cases have tripled in the last 2 weeks. It will only get worse despite the fact we are under "stay at home" orders. Most are doing well but some just don't get it. Considering planting vegetables instead of flowers in my "deck pots". Welcome to the new members. Always great to see new people with new ideas. bacpath, "pandemic pounds" -- I love it! Stay safe, everyone.
  • jlmorehouse
    jlmorehouse Posts: 4 Member
    Hi! Yes, I'm 63 and have been too big for way too long. Actually my goal is to get into the obese range as I am currently in the 'morbidly obese' range. I have some of the associated health problems but the worst is not being able to walk or stand for very long without having pain in my legs. It is limiting my ability to get the most from life ... I love to travel, but what's the point when my stamina usually sees me exhausted after just a few hours of sightseeing!
    Hope to get and give support to others through this group.
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Hi! Yes, I'm 63 and have been too big for way too long. Actually my goal is to get into the obese range as I am currently in the 'morbidly obese' range. I have some of the associated health problems but the worst is not being able to walk or stand for very long without having pain in my legs. It is limiting my ability to get the most from life ... I love to travel, but what's the point when my stamina usually sees me exhausted after just a few hours of sightseeing!
    Hope to get and give support to others through this group.
    I used to be where you are now, and understand what you are feeling. The good news is losing weight and improving your help is possible. At my peak weight I was at a BMI of 56, now I am down to 32, still in the obese range but a lot lower. No reason you can't do as well or better. And I went from having the same walking/standing problems you have to hiking in the mountains. You can too! Welcome!

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    https://youtu.be/Jze8utzpLhg[/url]
    Click on the pic and it should take you to the link, I hate wasting things not sure if all work but young onions, celery, herbs, Tom's and garlic do as I tried them.
  • josephinebowman
    Annliz - just what I needed. I have a potato and wondered if I could get it to grow. It has buds already. Maybe an onion, too!
    Had a piece of my son's birthday cake for breakfast -- would have another but I doubt that cake is still available as I heard him say, Can I have more cake? I WALKED to get that cake but I sort of thought it might make lunch. There's lots of noise - thumping, banging. I will have to go downstairs and check Later. Sun is out, temperature is expected to be high 70s. Didn't understand the news today but thinking Virginia is on a slow down and New Orleans is bracing. Hope you all are well and singing. It's a great day to be alive!