For the love of Produce...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    edited March 2020
    -Sharing the miso ❤️...
    Also, variously:
    -Roasted carrot soup (not usually into carrots, this was great..) topped with shredded fennel & cilantro.
    -Coconut mastery... (pry, don’t cut..)
    -sexy AF cauli. Roasted for dayz.
    -snack dinner, my style. Hummus, Greek yogurt+tahini+spices ‘dip’, roasted radish (honestly I don’t think I like them raw.. I love roasted or daikon spirals in broth.)
    tb5z1wkpo5bi.jpeg

That cauliflower looks PERFECT.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hey produce fam... scored some beautiful fresh asparagus this weekend. Doing a dry roast on cast iron in the oven .. just a little sea salt.

1ab7udqr1gqz.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    i didn't know you could roast asparagus with oil.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    i didn't know you could roast asparagus with oil.

Hey @acpgee - thought about you today while watching London news!

I actually used no oil on the asparagus.. just dry. Comes out a lil crispy and sweet. Had to use the heavier than heck cast iron because i broke my pizza (veggie!) stone. 👩‍🍳

M
  • mtaratoot
    As long as I still have fresh vegetables and it's still cool out....

vjv93k7046x4.jpg.

Broccoli, red beets, carrots, and yellow onion roasted at 425F for about 25 minutes in convection oven after being tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and smoked cayenne. Mmmmm
  • acpgee
    Starter of roast asparagus with leftover hollandaise from the weekend and tomato salad. Don’t believe reports that you can’t warm up leftover hollandaise or bearnaise. Take it out of the fridge a few hours in advance to get it to room temperature. Add a tablespoon of white wine or water to the surface. Heat in 30 second increments at the lowest setting of the microwave. Stir in the warm liquid on the surface.
    7mk1wjdlj5cw.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    edited March 2020
    I had a half onion left from yesterday and half of the broccoli since I didn't roast it all. I had gone through my pantry to rotate my beans, and I found one can of Great Northern (white) beans that were a little past the Best By date. So I made some sprouted brown rice, then mixed in the beans in the last few minutes, topped with a dollop of mellow white miso, and served along roasted (nearly black) onion slices and broccoli. Mmmmmm.

g5rk0xb7t4mz.jpg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Tub of salad for lunch during this let's call staycation

lwc0yoh46ozn.jpg

That looks awesome! I'm worried about my salads, the stores were out of the bins of lettuce I usually get, bins of spinach, bagged lettuce, most heads of lettuce, and bags of kale. I managed to get the last two bins of power greens at one store and a head of Romaine the produce man had just brought out. Hopefully it'll be easier to find this week.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Tub of salad for lunch during this let's call staycation

lwc0yoh46ozn.jpg

That looks awesome! I'm worried about my salads, the stores were out of the bins of lettuce I usually get, bins of spinach, bagged lettuce, most heads of lettuce, and bags of kale. I managed to get the last two bins of power greens at one store and a head of Romaine the produce man had just brought out. Hopefully it'll be easier to find this week.

Look in the frozen section. Frozen kale is great in salads just re-heated and frozen spinach is a good filler in soups, egg dishes etc. Where I am its the reverse, everything frozen is gone and everything fresh is untouched. Weird how ppl think.

Same for me, I'm still able to get my weekly fresh produce shopping done if i go early enough. Frozen section is empty, i was looking for some frozen spinach. Hope everyone here is staying well and healthy!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Ever since purplefizzy started this thread (wow, a year+ already!!), my consumption of produce has increased significantly. I didn't realize how much until this pandemic. Frozen, fresh, and canned were all in very short supply, until this week. I was so happy when I went to the grocery store yesterday and the fresh produce is back!
  • mtaratoot
    More beige food!

Roasted organic cauliflower and golden beets, organic short grain brown rice, and a kimchi garnish. Flavors included caraway and fish sauce for the veggies.

jumdx4gis4cs.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    More beige food!

Roasted organic cauliflower and golden beets, organic short grain brown rice, and a kimchi garnish. Flavors included caraway and fish sauce for the veggies.

jumdx4gis4cs.jpg

After making the rice, throw it in a pan with the kimchi and the roasted veggies. You will get immediate flavour boost in everything here. It will also look pretties :) but I absolutely love the burned ends of the vegg. My kind of a dish, sans rice. Rice, I do not care for in any way shape or form (sushi does not apply).

Actually, I really enjoyed the different flavors and textures keeping them separate. The kimchi was an afterthought. I love the stuff. I might make some kimchi fried rice, and yeah, starting with a roasted veggie might be quite tasty.

I like almost any kind of rice, although only for sushi do I use white rice. I've become fond of sprouted rice, but I have to go across town to get it. I used the last of my short grain yesterday, and I have some brown basmati as well as a pound of sprouted. I don't like to keep too much on hand since brown rice goes rancid.

But I also love barley. I have been a fan of Streaker Barley lately. It's has pretty blue streaks, but it's called "streaker" because it is "naked" (grows without a hull; it doesn't need to be de-hulled or pearled). It cooks as fast as pearled barley, but is a whole grain. If I am making vegetable miso soup or similar, I use hulled barley.

I found red quinoa last year. I cook it from time to time if I want something that cooks super fast and has more protein. I'm torn about it, though, since MY eating it makes it harder for the cultures who developed using it as food less able to get it. I have a couple beets left and some parsnips I will probably try today along with something else. The onions have been FANTASTIC and crispy. I wanted to leave the cauliflower in just a little longer, but I dared not.

I'll keep playing around with the roasting as long as it stays cool out. I don't like to run the oven in the summer. I even set up a camping stove out back and cook COFFEE outside to keep the house cooler.
  • mtaratoot
    I know.

More beige food. But.... it was the best workday lunch I've had in quite a while. I roasted some smaller russet potatoes that were just about to start growing eyes, a golden beet, and a parsnip. This is perhaps one of the greatest benefits of remote work. Well, that and every day is Casual Friday.

5veodcmo9gok.png

Radiator pasta for supper. With garlic and olive oil. I don't eat pasta that often, but since that's what folks have been stocking up on, I kind of got a hankering for it. I have some left from a couple river trips that we didn't use the whole package. I wonder if I have any pesto in the freezer.....
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Hey can I ask this group for ideas? My garden is in early spring stages. Right now I have tons of parsley. How would you use?
    Also have tons of radishes as I stress planted too many. Ideas?
  • acpgee
    For the parsley, you can freeze green sauces such as salsa verde, chimchurri and zhug. See whether the Italian, Argentinian or Yemeni version matches your appetite for spiciness.

I like roasted radishes and would probably pickle excess.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Yes, echoing the others, radishes are great roasted and raw (with a bit of salt) or if you really have too much, pickle them. I had some on a big salad last night.

I bought french breakfast radishes when my mom was here one time and she loved the idea of breakfast radishes and started eating regular radishes at breakfast. I always use mine up so quickly I don't have extras on hand, but I like that idea too.
  • mtaratoot
    Parsley is good in large quantities in salad. Chop finely and add to potatoes. It's good for so many things. If you have some ten days from now, dip it in salt water and eat.

For the radish - well, you should plant MORE. But just a few feet at a time. Staggered so they get mature a few at a time.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Hey can I ask this group for ideas? My garden is in early spring stages. Right now I have tons of parsley. How would you use?
    Also have tons of radishes as I stress planted too many. Ideas?

Awesome! If i have lots of excess herbs, i make herb butter and freeze it. Then you can just carve off a piece as you're cooking in the middle of winter, and still have fresh herb flavour.