Insomnia Issues After Major Weight Loss?

Has anyone dealt with insomnia issues after losing a lot of weight? When I was heavier, falling asleep was not a major problem. I was exhausted by the time I was home. I've dropped 55 lbs now, and just seem to have issues sleeping now. I have been increasing my activity levels to try to tire myself out, but it does not seem to help a lot. I have been taking melatonin to help, but I hate to be dependent on a supplement to sleep.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Are you still at a deficit? I'm asking because I have seen some people report difficulty staying or falling asleep when they are at a deficit for longer periods of time, especially higher deficits. I experienced this myself. When I switched to a smaller deficit, the problem vanished.

If you've lost 55 pounds without a diet break, it may be a good time to work one in and see if that helps.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Also, congratulations on the 55 pounds. What a great accomplishment!
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Are you still at a deficit? I'm asking because I have seen some people report difficulty staying or falling asleep when they are at a deficit for longer periods of time, especially higher deficits. I experienced this myself. When I switched to a smaller deficit, the problem vanished.

If you've lost 55 pounds without a diet break, it may be a good time to work one in and see if that helps.

I am definitely still at a deficit. I still have another 65 or so to go. I've eaten with a deficit for every day since September.
  • forma2017
    forma2017 Posts: 8 Member
    I've dealt with sleep issues stemming from a deficit and then developed anxiety about getting poor sleep. It's a vicious cycle, especially if you are sleep deprived, as it's difficult to eat at a deficit when you're sleeping poorly...carb cravings, insatiability, etc. all caused by satiety hormones being out of wack. The only things that have helped me is getting enough protein in every single snack/meal, and saving more calories for dinner, eating nothing/light in the morning. I can't go to bed hungry. Some people find saving carbs for night time also helps as it increases serotonin. Lastly, if you live in a state where pot is legal, I highly recommend an indica (ideally with CBD) based edible if you have a racing mind. I take 5-10 mg an hour before bed and it really helps to put and keep me asleep with no hangover. Obviously I'm not a Dr. but having tried every supplement under the sun (melatonin, GABA, passionflower, etc.) for the past 13 years, I'm sleeping better than ever.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    This is me. I wake up at 3am everyday and eat a hard boiled egg.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Weight loss can affect hormones which can affect sleep. Per my sleep doctor. 😏
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Do you work out in the evening? Some people have problems sleeping then. Are you fine? Did you have a checkup on thyroid levels, iron panel and especially Vitamin D3 recently? All these can cause fatigue, and paradoxically insomnia.