Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    All parks in my county are closed. ☹️ I can't go run the track

Apparently here so far it's just the lakefront (trail, beaches, and adjoining park), the downtown riverwalk, and another very popular trail (the 606) and not all trails and parks. Too many people go to those places when weather is nice and make social distancing impossible, and people were continuing to do things like play soccer in a group.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Update from Italy---things in the North are a bit better. New cases are down for the second day in a row. Deaths are still high. The people coming out of this that have been on ventilators have been in the hospital for a month. It's a long process, hence the overload in the hospitals.

Now, we're having small towns crop up with clusters of infection. They are quickly all quarantined, the town is isolated, and everyone is tested. More and more nursing homes are centers for the virus.

We have been in Lockdown 2 weeks now. Next week will tell the tale.

Russia has sent 100 doctors and supplies, Cuba has sent doctors, China has sent doctors and supplies, Germany has sent ventilators,The States has just sent help (hope we'll be repaying you down the line if this lets up for us).

Many small factories have started making masks and hazemat suits. We should all have masks next week.

A small sandwich shop on the ground floor of our building just reopened for takeout. Rome is still doing OK. Unless we have an explosion of cases. It's been 2 weeks now and that's encouraging, but if it happens, it will in the next few days.

Sorry about New York. You guys are strong. You'll come through.

Thanks for the detailed up date that does give some peace of mind about our future. I found the article below encouraging in all of the gloom.

https://timesofisrael.com/israeli-scientist-youre-not-going-to-see-millions-of-people-die-from-covid-19/
  • GaleHawkins
    Update from Italy---things in the North are a bit better. New cases are down for the second day in a row. Deaths are still high. The people coming out of this that have been on ventilators have been in the hospital for a month. It's a long process, hence the overload in the hospitals.

Now, we're having small towns crop up with clusters of infection. They are quickly all quarantined, the town is isolated, and everyone is tested. More and more nursing homes are centers for the virus.

Russia has sent 100 doctors and supplies, Cuba has sent doctors, China has sent doctors and supplies, Germany has sent ventilators,The States has just sent help (hope we'll be repaying you down the line if this lets up for us).

Many small factories have started making masks and hazemat suits. We should all have masks next week.

A small sandwich shop on the ground floor of our building just reopened for takeout. Rome is still doing OK. Unless we have an explosion of cases. It's been 2 weeks now and that's encouraging, but if it happens, it will in the next few days.

Thanks for the detailed up date that does give some peace of mind about our future. I found the article below encouraging in all of the gloom.

https://timesofisrael.com/israeli-scientist-youre-not-going-to-see-millions-of-people-die-from-covid-19/

"Okay, so let me first say that I am not a physician, nor am I an epidemiologist, and I may not even be considered a virologist per se."

Okay, then.

"This is a disease that mostly afflicts the elderly, not that one does not care about the elderly. But to people that are not classified as elderly, this generates a respiratory tract infection that is not very severe . . ."

Except this doesn't seem to be true. A 36-year-old high school principal in New York has died. A 59-year-old chef has died. A 34-year-old in Los Angeles has died. 26% of the children who tested positive in Spain had to be hospitalized (as of three days ago).

This guy doesn't seem to know the basics of how this is impacting people, I think there are better sources available.

We are looking forward to reading your better sources.

I think we are all taken back with how many younger people had unknown preexisting health issues making the impact of COVID-19 worse.

I agree with this scientist instead of you about we are not going to see millions die from COVID-19.
  • GaleHawkins

"Okay, so let me first say that I am not a physician, nor am I an epidemiologist, and I may not even be considered a virologist per se."

Okay, then.

"This is a disease that mostly afflicts the elderly, not that one does not care about the elderly. But to people that are not classified as elderly, this generates a respiratory tract infection that is not very severe . . ."

Except this doesn't seem to be true. A 36-year-old high school principal in New York has died. A 59-year-old chef has died. A 34-year-old in Los Angeles has died. 26% of the children who tested positive in Spain had to be hospitalized (as of three days ago).

This guy doesn't seem to know the basics of how this is impacting people, I think there are better sources available.

We are looking forward to reading your better sources.

I think we are all taken back with how many younger people had unknown preexisting health issues making the impact of COVID-19 worse.

I agree with this scientist instead of you about we are not going to see millions die from COVID-19.

How do you know that everyone hospitalized under sixty had a previously unknown underlying condition? You're moving the goalposts here because your source said specifically that "to people who are not classified as elderly, this generates a respiratory tract infection that is not very severe." You don't even agree with your own source here.

You're putting your trust in someone just because they're a scientist, even though they admittedly have no special knowledge of medicine and no specific research done on this virus. Knowing science generally doesn't make someone an expert on all topics related to medicine. The best scientists (and doctors) know what they don't know and they don't use their expertise on another topic to pretend to certainty they can't possibly justify.

I am not arguing that millions will die. I am arguing that I don't buy this guy's expertise and I think it's irresponsible for him to tell people this is no big deal.

If he did not pass your peer review I am OK with that. He passed my peer review because is replies indicated what he could and could not answer. There just are no one who can fully speak to what is or is going to happen to this new strain of virus.
  • GaleHawkins
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    I had trouble sleeping last night and woke up with a headache. I cannot imagine how the people of New York are feeling right now. Cuomo said on Tuesday that they anticipate needing 33,000 more ventilators. That number may be down to 26,000; I don't know. But the solution has been in the hands of one person for weeks--order the manufacture of ventilators and PPE. Americans could have produced hundreds of thousands in the time we have known about this, and still could have produced thousands when Cuomo asked for them. But nothing. Nothing from our administration. The only conclusion I can draw is that he intends to let people die. Someone please tell me I am wrong, and explain it to me. I'm sick about this.

Manufacturers have increased production and others are converting lines to help with production...but it's not like flipping a switch and all of a sudden ventilators and PPE equipment comes rolling off these lines. Also, these companies supply a global market, not just the USA. It's a global market and global demand for a global crisis.

It's not quite as easy as snapping one's fingers and getting production to match worldwide demand. Not particularly a fan of this administration, but they're pretty limited in what they can really do here. The only thing they could really do is basically take control of the US stockpile as an emergency and distribute them where they see most fit...but at current, there would still be shortages around the country.

Elon Musk estimated 8-10 weeks for before they would be on line with new ventilators. He did fly over 1100 ventilators from China to the west coast as a stop gap action. I think they are looking at NY factory to produce the new ventilators.

• GaleHawkins
    Spoke too soon. After 2 days of a downward trend in new cases, the North jumped again. Sigh.

Do you hear any reasons why Germany has a much lower death rate than Italy?