I just ate an entire pizza by myself

I haven't done that in years although I could kind of see things building to this point. I've completely fallen off the wagon and now I have to try to start over in the middle of a pandemic. I'm sorry to whine like this, it's just unbelievably frustrating

Replies

• buddy352
    buddy352 Posts: 36 Member
    So *kitten* what? You going to curl up and die? Go get what you want. If you really want it. Excuses to stay in comfort will make you fail! Every, single, time. Stay hard! Go get after it!
  • jezingmark05
    jezingmark05 Posts: 26 Member
    I live by this Motto:

It doesn't matter how many cheat meals you have. It doesn't matter how many cheat days you have. For that matter, I don't care how many cheat weeks you take. The question is - How fast do you want to reach your goals?!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Log it, analyze the reasoning behind it, and learn from it. That's all you can do.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Log it, analyze the reasoning behind it, and learn from it. That's all you can do.

Enjoy it. Forgive it.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    We've all done it (I mean, there are probably some people that haven't and that's great for them, but everyone else knows what you're talking about).

We're going to have days when we decide to eat more, there will be days maybe even when the decision seems to make itself and then we "come to" and carry on, and there will be days when you think you're making the right choices and then you find out how many calories you *really* ate and it was a whole lot more than what you planned.

It's all about what you do afterwards. Do you let the unplanned calories stretch into days or months or weeks of giving up or do you dust yourself off, learn what you can from it, and get back to it?

Nobody is overweight because of a single day. It's the long-term trend that determines your weight. Every day is a chance to make the choices that get us where we want to be.
  • ainsleymcmasters
    ainsleymcmasters Posts: 11 Member
    It's okay. I mess up all the time. Just focus and reset your sights. Don't beat yourself up about it tho!
  • shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    You mentioned you could "kind of see things building to this point". Now you can learn from that and avoid it happening again. Just log it and move forward and use this as a learning opportunity.
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Lots of ๐Ÿ• cheese = lots of protein ๐Ÿ‘
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited March 2020
    So, if you saw things building to this point, what does that mean? Were you over-restricting? Cutting calories so far that it's a struggle to stick with it? Giving up many of your favorite foods? Whatever built to that point, think about making a change that makes things easier from here on out: Eat more calories (still in a deficit). Have some treats (no foods off limits). Eat a little less most days to have a little more on other days (a.k.a. calorie banking). Figure out why, and change your plan to a more realistic one.

This really is no big deal. I'm a pretty small li'l ol' lady. Every once in a while, I eat a whole pizza. Usually I have at least one nice rich craft beer with it. Yet I'm still maintaining a healthy weight (4+ years now) after several preceding decades of obesity. I just don't do it very often, and I recognize that calories (somehow) need to balance out over time (not necessarily every day).

There is no wagon, so you can't fall off it. Just get back to a more sustainable routine, and everything will be fine. As Leitchi says, it's just a delay in reaching goal weight, a few days at most.** Unless, of course, you consider yourself a failure, and give up. Don't do that.

There is absolutely no point in feeling bad or guilty or whatever: That's what I call the "sin and expiation" model of weight management. "I ate more food than maintenance so I am bad and I need to be punished to pay for it". No. It's just food. You ate more of it than normal. I hope you enjoyed it, because that's what you should do: Sometimes a little indulgence is just fine. You just need to be in a calorie deficit, overall, and you'll lose weight. You can do that by being in a deficit every day, or only some days (as long as the non-deficit days don't outweigh the deficit days), and you'll still lose weight. That's fine. Drama is 100% optional.

Try to find a way to make the weight loss process easy for yourself. Eat in a way you can sustain permanently, and include some occasional treats or indulgences along the way (you weren't going to give them up forever, right?). You can do this. Hang in there!

** You will likely see a big jump on the scale the day after. It's a fake, mostly water weight. Don't let it worry you. (You ate more carbs and salt than normal, and those both require a little extra water in the body while they're being metabolized. It's not fat.) Give it a few days, and that will water weight will drop off. Any small real gain may show up, or it may get lost in the noise, since you'll be back on a deficit while the water weight drops away, and losing fat behind the scenes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Thinking this thread over, overnight, I want to add:

I know there are other things "building to it" could mean: Stress (these are extra stressful times), boredom (we're isolated), lack of sleep, and more.

To the extent that we use food for things that are not hunger or nutrition**, the solution is not food. Taking a look at the "why", as others have suggested, is important. Self-analysis and insight is part of the weight management process.
    more
    If the problem isn't hunger/nutrition, the solution isn't food. The better solution can be anything from new stress management techniques (exercise, meditation, therapy . . .) to new/revived hobbies to better sleep hygiene and beyond. Give it some thought, be open to changing some non-food habits in order to change eating habits.

Wishing you the best!

** It's also important, IMO, to allow food to be a part of celebrations, social connection, and even pleasure, but those aspects can be realistic and reasonable. If it's a free-for-all, and happening more than a tiny number of times per year (birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving kind of thing), then there's some other factor at play that needs to be considered.
  • KJfromCali
    KJfromCali Posts: 37 Member
    Hey there--down 65 pounds here and have definitely had my share of "I ate the whole pizza" days. I would recommend three things.

(1) Say aloud to yourself, "I can reach my goal, and I will start where I am right now. I will focus on what I can do today."
    (2) Write a list of five reasons you believe you ate the whole pizza--Did you have other options? Did you LIKE the other options? Could you have shared the pizza but didn't plan for that?
    (3) Write out a plan for how you will be successful in the next week, acknowledging where you could have done better.

You got this!