Serial Starters

Replies

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 600 Member
    holly1283 wrote: »
    I'm just restless. Couldn't walk today because of rain. Finished a dish rag and a swatch for my piano bench. I have a sweater started from months ago but don't really feel like knitting. Pretty soon I'm going to take jump in a local pond to swim. Too bad I don't have a wet suit. Look out fishies here I come.

I need someone to explain this to me. If you cannot walk in the rain b/c you are at work, I get that. But otherwise I don't understand why rain stops people from going outside. I started jogging at about age 15, and got more serious around 19. And I don't let rain interfere with jogging or walking, and I truly can't understand what the big deal is.

Holly, I'm not attacking you--I'm just truly mystified. Lots of people go swimming but won't walk in the rain. I feel like a robot and keep thinking, "This does not compute."

So, could those of you who skip outdoor exercise b/c of rain please tell me your reasoning? I'm not going to argue or try to point out ways around your decisions and conclusions--I genuinely just want to know.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    No sun again today. Went to the bank, drive thru only, the pharmacy, grocery store and got gas. Might make candy eggs. Hope all have a pleasant day.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,326 Member
    THURSDAY

Good morning,

Did not want to get out of bed. Two more work days left and I needed to take dog out. Rain? I take an umbrella if I know it is walking, brought dog in as I dont want her to get wet - the sun is shining and it is raining..... go figure.

Today will be more of the same - shame I cant bet on long shots at horse races-the weathermen cant even predict things.

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Hello all!
    Not much new here. Started my routine again. Walk in the am with Maggie. Was nice to hear the birds coming back to WI. Robins singing, Geese, cranes, etc.
    Headed out for a walk at lunch. One day at a time!
    Waves to all!
    Lynn
  • holly1283
    My answer is I don't like walking on the mud either. I will swim in the rain. I don't like a stinky wet dog either. Coming home again in soaking wet clothes is not uplifting to me. It is very rural here. No dog parks, other parks closed at present, no consistent sidewalks out school doesn't even have an outside track. Lastly, I hate wind and will not walk in that either. My daughter is just like you. Different strokes for different folks. You go girl.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited March 2020
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    holly1283 wrote: »

So, could those of you who skip outdoor exercise b/c of rain please tell me your reasoning? I'm not going to argue or try to point out ways around your decisions and conclusions--I genuinely just want to know.

Hi Maureen,

I just don't like getting wet in the rain, but I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe because I wear eye glasses--don't like when they get wet?
    The dog I baby sat for in December didn't like to go out when it was raining!
    Years ago when I wore makeup every day, I remember that I didn't want to get my face wet.
    On the other hand upon occasion I would have to work outside in the rain if we were loading or unloading trucks of scenery and lighting equipment--had to do it, rain or shine or snow--so I wore a baseball cap so my face could stay dry!

I'm glad the sun is out today....

Waving to Sara and Lynn and Holly and everyone else who stops by later on.

Lana

forgot to weigh
  • holly1283
    I also don't like auto correct !
  • mkculs13
    I'm waiting until 8 pm for bed--4 minutes. Lots of outdoor time-in the rain. Not too heavy either. Once again I had the dog park to myself, mostly. And I am a "good" kind of tired--more relaxed than I thought I'd be tonight.

Sara, Holly, Lana, Lynn, thanks for your answers. Maybe I just don't have the sense to get out of the rain--but fortunately, that doesn't bother me, either.

Have a great evening.
    Maureen
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I'm here! I'm here! I've been spending days, trying to catch up on posts...goodness, I've missed a lot.

We have not gone into shut down, yet. We have 1 case, in the next county. A school bus driver. Yikes! My family back home is in shut down until April 24th, if not longer. A lot of businesses are still open, here. All restaurants are curbside. We have gone curbside as well. Which, is interesting to say the least. This was our first week. It's going ok, so far. We are considered essential, so we will remain open. We will be getting a "pass" to show why we are out and about, if it becomes necessary. I'm hoping, things will be a bit quieter around here. Most counties around us are shut down. So, tourists should not be able to come. DH says i'm crazy and they'll still come. Probably. Lots of people are not taking this seriously.

Glad everyone is well... for the most part.. Tracey- keep us posted... hope you feel better, soon...

Will try to be back sooner.
    Stay safe
    Take care
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Almost lights out.

Dawn - thank you for checking in. My vet only takes emergencies, but I can pick up meds and Miss T is not barking like a seal as much and I am thrilled.

Here we have been shut down for a full week. I try and do as many errands at once. Saturday morning I will try and hit places when they open and miss as many people.

Listened to Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel on Youtube and really enjoyed it. Timely and always loved that song anyways.

Found out my DAB will not alter our work schedule and allow us to work other times so we are not all in the building at the same time. Rumor of working from home exists but until I see it.......

Had hot chocolate for the first time in awhile. Not a bad way to end a day.

3 more colors to finish #2 prayer shawl and just started #3 - I would be pulling out hair with boredom otherwise.

Lana - peep when you can - and any other who have been gone awhile - we would be glad to hear from you.

Wishing all a good night.

vt4pbjvytqvr.png
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Friday!

Doesn't really have the same meaning when you work from home. I am enjoying the extra time in bed. Cutting an hour and a half drive time plus shopping time out of my day has made me very relaxed. Normally, I would leave my house by 6:45 am and not return until 7 pm or later. Now, I don't even get out of bed for a shower until 7 and am still "in the office" by 7:30. "Home" by 4:46.

Plus, having small breaks to snuggle my kitty babies helps a lot.

On the exercise in the rain, I second the glasses rule. Plus, I can't stand water in my face at all. I don't even put my face in the water when I swim. It's a sensory issue for me.

Thank you all for being a bright light in the dark time.
  • mkculs13
    Dogs and cats, puppies and kittens--most of us seem to have one or more in our lives, making this situation more tolerable. We did another herding lesson last night and Skye rocked it. She definitely has the instinct; didn't want to leave/stop. So much fun to watch her, too. And at the dog park, she is learning to run to me when I call. She was already doing it, but would veer away when she got close. Now she comes all the way to me and sits for a treat. If she can do that with all the distractions in the DP, I expect she will be able to learn a lot of stuff. I've worked on impulse control since bringing her home (well, since her second week or so at home) and it is paying off.

I finally had a really good, long night's sleep and am slowly drinking my coffee (and sweating) and planning my morning outing to the DP. Trying not to worry about things I cannot control.

Lana, I agree with Sara--we are wondering about you, and trusting that all is well and you are busy getting done what needs to be done.

Have a good day, folks, and "see" you later.
    Maureen
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,835 Member

Good morning Ladies~~

*waving flag for Cabana Boy to bring 2nd cup of coffee*

The tax work is going little bit by little bit because DH has to do all of it (his business expenses), and he has been very busy with other things - he is ADHD and seems to need to be bustling about and then complaining about how much he has to do.
    I am guessing that I will be here another two weeks at this rate, regardless of coronavirus.

Dawn - glad that you are OK and that there are so few cases near you.

Sara - Hot chocolate is a good way to get the chocolate fix without having too many calories. Very good that Miss Tillie has her meds and is not barking like a seal! 😧

Maureen - congratulations on your little girl doing so well at her herding lesson!

Hi Tracy~ What a great thing for you to be working from home and saving all of that driving time. Whew~

Holly - Funny you mention swimming in the rain - I really dislike being in the pool in the rain, but can't say why exactly. I also do not like walking on mud in the rain. Some of the trails I walk in NC are paths in the woods, and they can get a tad dangerous in the rain.

Waving to Lynn and Kathryn (where is Kathryn?) and Missy and all of the Club ladies~~

Lana

252.0 today
    258.8 highest
    249.8 goal for next week ???
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Good morning
    TGIF!
    All is well here. Nice to see/hear from people!
    Not much new here...
    Lurking from work.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good morning,

Gardeners here this morning so I will take out Miss T before the blowers take over, that is the worst.

TGIF!! My last "free" one. We shall see what we shall see. Rumors of me working from home - still just rumors.

Have a list of things to get at the restaurant tomorrow for the weekend.

So its knitting and cant walk too much with the gardeners and cant nap too much same reason why I dont like taking Friday off.

Glad to hear from all of you.

Wave to all who follow.
  • darkhead4u308
    darkhead4u308 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi all--45 Newbie here--just joined and looking for friends.
  • arniedog74
    So, I’ve obviously never been in a mandatory lockdown or quarantine. But, I’m pretty sure I understand the concept. Pretty much ALL big cities around us, ARE on lockdown. No going out, at all, except for work/essentials. This went into effect, starting last Thursday for some, up until yesterday for others. It is mandatory to stay home, until April 24th at the earliest. Having said all of this, we are swarming with tourists! Yep, you read that right. No one is taking this seriously. They just want to come here, to get away from the city, where there are more cases. These people could potentially be bringing this terrible virus to even more people in this area. I agree, don’t obsess about it. But, why would you not do the one thing that they know will help slow the spread. Tourists irritate me as it is. But, sitting on my back deck, watching car after car, boat after boat, fly down the highway..I’m trying my best not to be angry about it...STAY HOME...why is that so hard to understand?

Sorry.... I don’t mean to only talk about Covid... I should know better...have to listen to my Mgr go on and on about it, every single day...ok, I’m done...stay safe everyone..

HUGS
  • arniedog74
    z19sva100kg4.jpeg
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Dawn it is not just happening in your back yard. One of my New England knitters has a 2nd home in New England in another state and they travel back and forth - because they can ...... and I am with you - what part of STAY HOME do they not understand?? I am just rolling my eyes. I hear and understand your frustration. Glad you are doing well, despite the 'idiots on wheels' driving by. One of the first things I learned is that dogs/cats cannot cross contaminate - so Miss T still gets her hugs and kisses (she just kind of looks at me like - eek she is at it again).

Lana - I know you are stuck in LV - enjoy the weather and what you can. Hang in there and we will have to get the Cabana boys to have the best care package waiting for you when you get back. NC might be the safer place to go......

Time for Miss T and I to call it a night. Wishing all a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Yup I know, cant get back to sleep yet, so I will post.

Decent to do list today so when I get it done I will only have one more shop to go to Sunday. I like to get there early anyway and now it is even smarter to do so.

Trying to make frozen leftovers for work this next coming week as the Cafe where I work is closed and eating out is too $$$ and major sodium city.

Hope everyone has a good day - sunshine? so they can get out and do instead of being cooped up inside.

My third prayer shawl is yellow to start and I am enjoying the bright color.

Wave to all who follow.