What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Easy hour row again today. Felt much easier, though, than yesterday's. Likely because it was 10 degrees (F) cooler. HR only hit a max of 145, which was my high target. Burned around 750 calories. Felt nice and easy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Easy hour row again today. Felt much easier, though, than yesterday's. Likely because it was 10 degrees (F) cooler. HR only hit a max of 145, which was my high target. Burned around 750 calories. Felt nice and easy.

Just curiosity: Are you observing any trend to higher HR at higher air temps, at constant output/pacing?
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    3 rounds
    Lunges 10 each leg
    Squats 12 reps
    Shoulder taps 10 each
    Push-ups 10
    Hip bridge 20 reps

3 rounds
    Bird dogs 10 per side
    Dead bugs 10 per side
    Plank
    Crunches 15 reps
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just curiosity: Are you observing any trend to higher HR at higher air temps, at constant output/pacing?

Absolutely, even just the sun, which in AZ is quite beaming. Today was brisk and my HR was pretty low the entire time. I'm not sure, though, it makes it much harder when the HR is a bit higher due to heat, but I think it does have some impact.

Last week (I've since moved under the deck for more shade), I was out in the sun on a semi cloudy day. When the sun would come out from behind the cloud, my HR jumps around 5 to 7 beats per minute.

Over the summer, even though I don't like to work under a fan, it's like 77 or 78 inside in AZ. If you keep your A/C under that, you're likely to have a bill over $500, so people just get used to keeping the A/C at around 77 or 78, some even at 80! I bring a big *kitten* fan in and put it directly on me to keep the HR in check. It will be like that again in two months. Not looking forward to summer workouts here. To make me happier (and to offset losing my outside view), I'm going to get RowPro and a big monitor and put it on the wall above my rower to have a virtual rowing studio.

I'm actually taking advantage of the social distancing to do some much needed energy measures on my home before the hot months. Already installed UV films on some of the windows and I'm doing a radient barrier in my attic this weekend, which can reduce heat bills by 10 to 15%. Very easy to do as well and low cost.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Absolutely, even just the sun, which in AZ is quite beaming. Today was brisk and my HR was pretty low the entire time. I'm not sure, though, it makes it much harder when the HR is a bit higher due to heat, but I think it does have some impact.

Last week (I've since moved under the deck for more shade), I was out in the sun on a semi cloudy day. When the sun would come out from behind the cloud, my HR jumps around 5 to 7 beats per minute.

Over the summer, even though I don't like to work under a fan, it's like 77 or 78 inside in AZ. If you keep your A/C under that, you're likely to have a bill over $500, so people just get used to keeping the A/C at around 77 or 78, some even at 80! I bring a big *kitten* fan in and put it directly on me to keep the HR in check. It will be like that again in two months. Not looking forward to summer workouts here. To make me happier (and to offset losing my outside view), I'm going to get RowPro and a big monitor and put it on the wall above my rower to have a virtual rowing studio.

I'm actually taking advantage of the social distancing to do some much needed energy measures on my home before the hot months. Already installed UV films on some of the windows and I'm doing a radient barrier in my attic this weekend, which can reduce heat bills by 10 to 15%. Very easy to do as well and low cost.

FWIW, that's generally similar to what I've observed in myself when rowing on water at similar speeds in very different air temps. While consistent with what I've read about HR behavior, I was still curious what you were seeing because rowing machine is better metered, i.e., you get clearer indication that you're comparing similar output. Where I use my rowing machine, I don't get a huge range of ambient temps. OTW, things like wind/current are confounding factors to using speed/pace as a gauge. Like you, I haven't noticed that the workout feels appreciably harder, just that HR runs a little higher.

There used to be a thing available, I think for the model C (?), a sort of fabric add-on that created a tube to funnel the flywheel breeze back to the person rowing. :lol: Haven't seen anything like that more recently, though.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited March 2020
    Day 4 of the bonkers finger programme.
    This took 2.5 hours, and was dynamic stretches, band stuff, Burpees, easy hang boarding, max effort hang boarding, finger curls, kettle bells, core gubbins and finally yoga.

I swore a bit when I moved onto kettle bells after 90 minutes. (I just used a 16kg - I did 5 sets where one set was 20 LH swings; 20 RH swings; 20 two handed swings; and 10 goblet squats. I took no rest between the movements, and 2 minutes rest between sets.)

The hang boarding was good. My finger strength is definitely improving.
  • jezingmark05
    jezingmark05 Posts: 26 Member
    68 Minute Yoga Session (P90X2)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    roughly 20km forest walk. Met hardly any people, wonderful blue sky, first few flowers out <3
  • JessAndreia
    11km walk.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2020
    My Friday workout has been an AT (anaerobic threshold) workout lately. Have felt a bit tired so left it somewhat less rigidly structured. After a 20 minute warmup, I did 5 minutes @ 22 SPM, 2 minute rest (18 SPM paddling), 4 minutes @ 23 SPM, 2 active rest, 3 @ 24, 2 active rest, 2 @ 25, 2 active rest, one @ 26 SPM. Then mostly a cool down @ 19/20 SPM for the rest of the hour. Around 12.5K meters, 900 calories plus burned.
  • JessAndreia
    11km walk.
    Single leg dumbbell deadlifts
    Dumbbell bent over rows
    Dumbbell curls
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell floor press
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    032720 Friday
    6-8 am:
    Strength: HSPU Progression
    Week 7, Day 45
    5-5-4-3-2 (19)
    *Pull-up for every HSPU…

12-1 pm: Strength: Weighted Pullups (Week 11)
    3 x 5 @45lbs (15)

6-7 pm: Conditioning: HIIT Mountain Climbers/Burpees
    20 on 40 off x 10 (10m)

032620 Thursday
    6-8 am:
    Week 7, Day 44
    5-4-4-3-2 (18)
    *Pull-up for every HSPU…

032520 Wednesday
    6-8 am:
    Week 7, Day 43
    5-4-3-3-2 (17)
    *Pull-up for every HSPU…

6-7 pm:
    Strength: Weighted Pullups (Week 11)
    3 x 5 @45lbs (15)

032420 Tuesday
    6-8 am:
    Week 7, Day 42
    5-4-3-2-2 (16)
    *Pull-up for every HSPU…

032320 Monday
    6-8 am:
    Week 7, Day 41
    5-4-3-2-1 (15)
    *Pull-up for every HSPU…

• gunderw59
    gunderw59 Posts: 45 Member
    CrossFit trying to maintain my focus :)
    Warm Up
    200 m run
    15 jumping squats
    Butt Kicks
    High Knees
    Leg Throws
    Calf Stretch
    Spidermans
    Band monster walk
    Band lateral walk
    Arm Circles
    Band arm stretches

For time:
    1 mile walk/jog
    time 17:49 :/

3 rounds for time w/20 lb. dumbbell
    10 push press, left
    10 overhead lunges, left
    10 push press, right
    10 overhead lunges, right
    10 power cleans, left
    10 front squats, left
    10 power cleans, right
    10 front squats, right
    time 12:45 :)
  • gunderw59
    gunderw59 Posts: 45 Member
    Saturday workout
    Warm up
    20 up downs
    20 mnt climbers
    20 line jumps front and back
    20 line jumps side to side
    10 side lunges
    10 side lunges with twist
    samson stretches 30 sec per side x 2
    lateral band walks
    fire hydrant banded
    arm circles
    banded arm stretches

Then: 4 rounds not for time
    10 dips bench or chair
    10 bulgarian split squats 5 ea. side

WOD for time
    21-18-15-12-9-6-3
    Box step ups 20" box
    Kettlebell swings 26 lbs.

My time : 11:53
  • MikePfirrman
    Easy one hour row this morning.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    In the midst of a training build for a half iron distance triathlon in June. (Fingers crossed that is doesn't get cancelled)

Yesterday: 1:46:00 Neuromuscular Power session on the bike. (Power meter based)
    Started with 25 minutes of increasing cadence and watts as warm up, including a few sprints to warm up the legs, then two 12 min threshold blocks w/5 min recovery, followed by 4 rounds of tabata style anaerobic capacity work (2min "on", 1 min recover), then a 25 minute endurance segment to finish the workout.

Today: 1:06:00 Run
    20 min ez warm up pace, then two rounds of: (10 minutes@ half iron pace, 3 min@recovery pace, 5 min @10k pace.) then 10 min at cool down pace.

Swim: Pools are closed here and open water is 42degrees, so only dry land swim work.
    20 minutes of swim cord work.
    Ekhart Yoga on Youtube as recovery.

• BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Wed Mar 25:
    -Yoga with Adrienne home day 3
    -Fitness Blender day 3 of 5 day fitness challenge
    -10 burpees
    Thu Mar 26:
    - 5 miles bike ride
    -Yoga with Adrienne home day 4
    - Fitness Blender day 4 of 5 day fitness challenge
    Fri Mar 27:
    -Yoga with Adrienne home day 5
    -Fitness Blender day 5 of 5 day challenge
    Sat Mar 28:
    - 15 min walk
    - Yoga with Adrienne home day 6
    Sun Mar 29:
    -40 min walk
    - Yoga with Adrienne home day 7
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    90 min spin ride and 60 min TRX. I just got the TRX so I am still learning the ropes.
  • JessAndreia
    8.5Km walk

Dumbbell Walking lunges
    Bent over rows with stretch tubing band
    Floor dumbbell chest press
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell curls
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    1. Ride bike downtown to bagel shop to pick up bags of bagels for myself and some neighbors.
    2. Put kayak on my shoulder and hoof it a half mile down to the river.
    3. Paddle about an hour and three quarters (a couple miles upstream to the confluence with the East Channel, then up the East Channel to the bridge where I couldn't go any farther, then back down)
    4. Put kayak back on shoulder, but now about ten pounds heavier from jasper and agates I picked up for a friend who does lapidary, and hoof it back home.
    5. Ride bike to fish monger for a smoked salmon collar and a rockfish fillet.

There was one part of the upstream paddle I couldn't attain. It's a gravel island in some "steep" area with fast current pretty much everywhere. So I hopped out of the boat and dragged it across the gravel. That's when I started seeing rocks to bring home for my friend.

Osprey have been back for a week. Saw and heard lots of killdeer on the island. Kingfishers out and about as well as Steller's jays and cedar waxwings. Oddly, no bald eagles.

Tomorrow is the last day of my weekend. I might get back out on the water if I can. Good way to move and enjoy some fresh air and stay away from other people.