For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Salad with conference pear, blue cheese and candied pecan.
    e03z928luqj7.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    I've been so enamored of roasting vegetables, I forgot how good baked potatoes are. I had a medium russet for lunch. Just rubbed it with olive oil and baked for an hour. Yes, I added butter, salt, and pepper. The texture was perfect. Sorry, no pictures, but rest assured it was more beige food :smile:

For breakfast I couldn't decide between rolled oats and rolled rye, so I combined 'em. At least that was more brown than beige.

Green stuff (or orange stuff) for supper later!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    I made a spicy (curry inspired) tomato, lentil, eggplant mix and then put it on roasted potatoes instead of rice, since I was craving roasted potatoes and thought a spicy sauce of some sort would be nice on them (and added the lentils to my original sauce concept for some protein). Quite tasty.

I have kale I need to use up soon (before it goes bad), so am going to do a kale and white bean soup of some sort tomorrow.
  • mtaratoot
    It was green; I made it browner.

d2d3qbqvk1e6.png

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    @mtaratoot Nothing like a good baked potato, I've made them in the Instant Pot and would rather have a baked potato/sweet potato any day (if I'm making it in the Instant Pot I'm not turning the oven on too). The brown may not be as attractive in a photo on green vegetables unless you know what they taste like, love the carmelized flavor that develops!

OK gang, I bought parsnips for the first time in a long time and I've narrowed it down to roasting, I don't have any fancy condiments (or really any aside of Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and mayo, not even peanut butter!) aside of flavored balsamics and a lot of herbs/spices. What are your favorites on parsnips? I've Googled but am curious of your choices. I have some fresh herbs too like rosemary, oregano, marjoram, mint, a little basil and parsley, and thyme. I do have a little honey and maple syrup. I'll probably toss in my last couple carrots. Other vegetables on hand are onions, cauliflower, a little broccoli, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
  • acpgee
    I normally roast parsnips plain, just tossed in a plastic carrier bag with olive oil and maybe a light sprinkle of salt.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I normally roast parsnips plain, just tossed in a plastic carrier bag with olive oil and maybe a light sprinkle of salt.

I do the same, bit of olive oil, salt.
  • Katmary71
    Interesting, most of the recipes I came across had tumeric, chili powder, obviously cinnamon, and rosemary or Italian spices. I'll keep it simple then.
  • mtaratoot
    edited March 2020
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    @mtaratoot Nothing like a good baked potato, I've made them in the Instant Pot and would rather have a baked potato/sweet potato any day (if I'm making it in the Instant Pot I'm not turning the oven on too). The brown may not be as attractive in a photo on green vegetables unless you know what they taste like, love the carmelized flavor that develops!

For baked potatoes, I use my toaster oven. I still get the nice crispy skin, but it doesn't heat up the whole house AND it uses less electricity. For roasting, I have to use the oven, and I turn it on convection. Those veggies need lots of room on the trays. I really want to roast some mushrooms, so I guess maybe in a few days when I go restock on produce, I'll get some.

OK gang, I bought parsnips for the first time in a long time and I've narrowed it down to roasting, I don't have any fancy condiments (or really any aside of Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and mayo, not even peanut butter!) aside of flavored balsamics and a lot of herbs/spices. What are your favorites on parsnips? I've Googled but am curious of your choices. I have some fresh herbs too like rosemary, oregano, marjoram, mint, a little basil and parsley, and thyme. I do have a little honey and maple syrup. I'll probably toss in my last couple carrots. Other vegetables on hand are onions, cauliflower, a little broccoli, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

They are pretty sweet and tasty on their own. I suggest just tossing some with oil, salt, pepper, and maybe some thyme the first time, then think about what other flavors you might want to try NEXT time. Definitely put some carrots on the tray, too. I think those flavors go good together. Try a splash of balsamic on some after it's roasted. I bet it's good. Fish sauce, maybe, but be careful as a little goes a LONG way. I almost always use some kind of capsicum. A favorite is smoked cayenne. It's a mild cayenne and tastes great. For even less heat there's smoked paprika. For more heat, I have HOT paprika or can grind up some dried chilies from my garden.

I sure had fun assembling my broccoli back into the shape of a broccoli stalk before I sat down and snacked away on it. It's finger food for goodness sake!

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    I'm late to the parsnip party, but I've really been enjoying them roasted in a mix of yellow curry powder, cumin, hot red pepper, coriander, kosher salt, and cinnamon.
  • Katmary71
    Thanks for all the parsnip ideas! I'm tempted to do each parsnip different to try all the variations!

@pancakerunner Brussel sprouts would be great on pizza, I've done broccoli and zuchinni.

@mtaratoot My oven's old, no convection or toaster oven. My microwave broke the first day of staying home and it's one unit so when I replace I'll get convection. My parents brought me a ring of smoked paprika from Hungary, Thomas suggested hydrating them and it works great, I have about 50 still so it'd be good to use some, thanks for the idea! I have two thyme plants

How's everyone doing getting produce? The one thing I'm having trouble finding aside of the basics is those $5 bins of baby lettuce. Spinach and kale along with bagged salad (don't like) were gone but there were two bins left of power greens so I got those. Lettuce was empty but the produce man had just brought them out so I got some. I'm down to cabbage for salads, I usually put it on but not to take place of all the lettuce, it's not the same! Obviously not a big deal, just curious.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    Thanks for all the parsnip ideas! I'm tempted to do each parsnip different to try all the variations!

@pancakerunner Brussel sprouts would be great on pizza, I've done broccoli and zuchinni.

@mtaratoot My oven's old, no convection or toaster oven. My microwave broke the first day of staying home and it's one unit so when I replace I'll get convection. My parents brought me a ring of smoked paprika from Hungary, Thomas suggested hydrating them and it works great, I have about 50 still so it'd be good to use some, thanks for the idea! I have two thyme plants

How's everyone doing getting produce? The one thing I'm having trouble finding aside of the basics is those $5 bins of baby lettuce. Spinach and kale along with bagged salad (don't like) were gone but there were two bins left of power greens so I got those. Lettuce was empty but the produce man had just brought them out so I got some. I'm down to cabbage for salads, I usually put it on but not to take place of all the lettuce, it's not the same! Obviously not a big deal, just curious.

Bagged salad mixes can get a little low around here, but otherwise I have seen no issues with Produce. That seems to be the one thing I can count on getting when I have to go to the store! So I am planning on a lot of produce heavy meals. So instead of doing butter chicken, I am subbing half the chicken for a mix of cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. My protein will be a bit low for the foreseeable future, but at least I am getting a good mix of nutrients.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    edited March 2020

@acpgee That roast eggplant looks a little different than the recipe you linked. What else did you add? I see cilantro (coriander), nuts, and is that crispy shallots?
  • mtaratoot
    I picked up a rockfish fillet yesterday after I went for a solo paddle, but I didn't cook it. I got a care package of smoked pork shoulder, so the fish waited until today.

I pan seared it with a little seasoning and put it next to roasted beets, red potatoes, and parsnips. This was the last of the root vegetables I had in the fridge; I went out to restock earlier today. Tomorrow is back to "work," which except for a few hours on Wednesday are just in the back of my house where I set up my work station.

zz2mzgfcy03m.jpg
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    I love just about any veggie roasted!
  • acpgee
    swirlybee wrote: »

@acpgee That roast eggplant looks a little different than the recipe you linked. What else did you add? I see cilantro (coriander), nuts, and is that crispy shallots?

I added coriander, sawtooth coriander, toasted coconut flakes and almond flakes (because I didn't have peanuts or cashews), and ready made crispy fried shallots.
    I tend to add these toppings to SE asian salads.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
  • Katmary71
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I've been so enamored of roasting vegetables, I forgot how good baked potatoes are. I had a medium russet for lunch. Just rubbed it with olive oil and baked for an hour. Yes, I added butter, salt, and pepper. The texture was perfect. Sorry, no pictures, but rest assured it was more beige food :smile:

For breakfast I couldn't decide between rolled oats and rolled rye, so I combined 'em. At least that was more brown than beige.

Green stuff (or orange stuff) for supper later!

I was re-reading the responses to my parsnip seasoning ideas question and just saw this. I bought a 5lb bag of russet potatoes and they're small so I cubed some of them and cut up the parsnips and roasted them. Talk about boring-looking! The parsnips taste great but the potato is pretty blah, I'll definitely be jazzing that up. I made them for lunch tomorrow, I usually have salad with just about every color in the rainbow but am out of it and was thinking I'd at least have to bring in some fresh herbs to give them some color. This not going grocery shopping every week is tough, wish my store delivered!