Counting Calories Even When I Fail

ilb6
ilb6 Posts: 11 Member
So I always gave up when I was failing at a diet but I decided to keep counting my calories and tracking them so that I don’t give up...

Anyone else do this?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Yeah. It's a learning experience. It's easy to forget half of what you've eaten. Entering it into your diary can be eye opening. Also, you'll never know what patterns there are (that you might be able to harness) if you don't keep the data.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Yup, that's a change I made this time and sometimes found it wasn't as bad as I thought. Keep going.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Yep, I've learned to do this too. Not just logging EVERYTHING, the good, bad, and ugly, but getting on the scale the next morning no matter the damage.

Accountability is a huge, huge step in the direction of staying on a diet even when things aren't going well.

Traditionally, when I stop getting on the scale and/or stop counting calories, that day is the official end of a diet, even if it only reveals itself as such down the road.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes, most definitely. It really helps my mindset in multiple ways. One, it keeps up a habit that does help keep me on track, so it's easier to get back on track. Two, it shows me that often, what I think of as a "ton" is often barely 1/2 pound gained. Three, it shows me that one large day in a sea of deficit days means little in the long run, as I often still lose at the end of the month, I just lose a little less.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Apart from when I go on holiday, I log everything. But I look at my weekly average, each Monday, for the preceding week and often find my average wasn't as bad as I thought, even if I had a day or two with a lot of calories consumed. My week's average may not be at a deficit, but it's rarely above maintenance. If it is, it's a reminder that I should rein in the over-indulgences!

The odd treat, a meal that has way more calories than I thought, not going to the gym and therefore not having exercise calories to offset all the cake I had earlier in the day ... they're not daily occurrences and I don't consider them "failing at a diet" because I don't think of this as being on a diet. I'm just eating less than I did before - and I track what I eat / drink to make sure that's the case.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    ltmga6hnqccs.jpg

Yep do it. Then get back on the horse. Don't over compensate or you will seesaw.