The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Hi, Everyone!

Count me in as another person grateful to be AF, especially during these crazy and unprecedented times we are living! As we were taking stock of food and supplies we have at the house, and figuring out what we need to get our family through for a few weeks, I found myself so grateful to have quit drinking in Jan 2018. If I hadn't, I would be super stressed trying to stock up on wine. I would be stressed about rationing it, too, in fear of running out. I have much better coping skills without the alcohol.

Oddly, as thankful as I am that I quit drinking, I have found myself thinking about drinking here & there, though. I logically know it won't solve any problems, but some part of my brain still kicks in every once in awhile and seems to think it might be a good idea to have a couple glasses of wine. I don't know if this is common or not, but this is what seems to happen with me when I am super stressed out.

Ok, thanks for being here friends! I hope you are all doing well, and staying healthy.

Karen

I kick that idea around every single day. For now, it still happens to be lent, & it's the only thing I give up besides meat on Friday. I haven't gone to church regularly since HS, but I participate in lent. I like to say I'm a Catholic in the way that Olive Garden is Italian food. So, I've been AF for 38 days now.. but yes, I'm constantly thinking about it in one way or another. I really wonder & ask those of you who have some serious AF time under your belt, & also drank to excess..
    Do you ever get to a point where it is not in your brain somewhere? In the back, off to the side, full front? I'd like to know.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Do you ever get to a point where it is not in your brain somewhere? In the back, off to the side, full front? I’d like to know.

Congrats on 38 days, Stephanie! A month AF is a big accomplishment!.
    I don’t think about alcohol every day. Sometimes I go for weeks and it doesn’t cross my mind.
    But then if I’m super stressed, and generally over-tired, it pops back into my brain. I’m a little over 2 years AF, and I’m comfortable remaining that way the rest of my life. But there are days where I am challenged to stick to my conviction to remain AF.
    In those moments, I think about what problem I believe alcohol will solve for me. It never wins because it doesn’t solve any problems.

A couple of months shy of 2 years AF for me & I wouldn't say there are days where it's a challenge to stick to my AF conviction, BUT I definitely have times where I "think" of the temporary relief when I am stressed, but only momentarily & it "seems" to come out of nowhere...but there is this brief memory of the longing (?) or the craving...it's hard for me to describe, but it's like anticipating something good and then realizing that it's NOT really that good...LOL It is like my alcohol brain is just hardwired to react to stress that way. I like to think that every time I refuse to give in to the momentary reminders from the alcohol-dependent part of my brain, I believe that I am helping to re-wire my brain against the false sense of relief and the cravings get fewer & farther apart.

@stephanie13 ~ 38 days is fantastic and the longer you're AF the easier it becomes...but there is an adjustment period of course. For me it was at least 6 months-1 year before I really began to settle into my AF life. The struggle is worth it though, and I believe that some of the really long-time AFers on this thread can attest to that. So I hope that your determination to remain AF wins over any desire that may arise to drink. You are doing great <3

Hope everyone is staying healthy and taking advantage of some downtime. The premier of our province declared a state of emergency so we are pretty much in shutdown mode other than necessary services AND the LCBO, so far, must be considered a necessary service cause it's pretty much bizzness as usual!! Oh well, at least they still can work and bring home $$.
  • lorrainequiche59
    @tuckerrj If there was a "thumbs up" emo on here, you would be getting one from me. :D

Hope everyone is happy & healthy!! I'm trying not to read too much more about COVID-19...it is dominating the media and I'm thinking adding more fear to an already panicked population. Wondering how things are for others here?

I have been in most of the week, with a few quick trips to the grocery store. I have a job tomorrow, so far!! YAY! I also have filled in most of my next week, but things could change overnight! A really nice thing happened to me today though. My sis-in-law showed up at my door (she was married to my brother who died last July) with her chequebook in hand wanting to cut me a cheque due to my lack of work this week. It would be a "gift from my bro" she said :'( It's comforting to know that if I do fall on hard times due to the uncertainty of steady work, I have a cushion, but assured her I was fine for now. My daughter who is salaried, also would come through for me. I am fiercely independent so asking for financial help would be a last resort. It's nice to know that others care <3

• lorrainequiche59
    Hello to ALL: Hoping everyone is healthy. How are you doing with being locked in for those who are locked in. As of tomorrow all non-essential businesses in Ontario are to shut down. So more restrictions in place and I've had more cancellations and likely will not be working much, if at all. Most people will be in the same boat with limited $$ coming in. There are various provisions to help those who will need it. Hoping all here are safe & sound. I was thinking there would be more coming on here.

Anyway, take care & be careful.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member

@whitpauly I am thinking of you today! <3
  • RubyRed427
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    2-1/2 years AF. It has gone away a lot for me. Sometimes I go days, other times weeks without thinking about it. But I don't hang around in bars or cigar lounges like I used to either. My friends don't seem to care and even when they drink around me, my thoughts are mostly "I'm glad I don't drink anymore". Pluses, I'm down over 50 lbs, no impulse eating or drinking, time to exercise and eat right, no blackouts or wondering what I did the night before. Life is MUCH better without it.

Very inspiring. I like the way you don't think about alcohol much. I know that I had to change my habits and hangout places when I was completely sober, so I went to the gym instead of the bar. That was so helpful.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Hi from Maryland. Our governor has taken this seriously and everything is pretty much buttoned up. I personally know 3 people with it, 2 sisters in their late 20's and early 30s and their dad. The one is a flight attendant so God knows who all else got it before she found out and stopped working. Stay safe, social distance and make good choices.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    Hi to all hope everyone is finding things getting easier for those struggling. I just wanted to thank everyone here for the support. Tomorrow will be 1 yr since I quit beer all together. Cant really believe I did it but its done. I have nothing to compare stats wise other than 35 beer bubbly pounds gone. But Im sure Im in a better position and my liver thanks me. Gone are also the miserable hangovers. Dont miss it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • RubyRed427
    @lilawolf I really enjoyed your post!! I read it twice. Thanks for your thoughts <3
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning! My counselor told me about a book; I was wondering if any of you read it. "Quit like a Woman". https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45434420-quit-like-a-woman
  • wigi41
    wigi41 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi Ruby, I have this book on hold at the library (although it could be a long while before it’s ready now...) I really like the author Holly Whittaker, she does the hip sobriety blog (now called Tempest, I believe). She is a strong, tells-it-like-it-is individual, I am looking forward to reading her book.
  • lorrainequiche59
    @RubRed427 Interesting article. Thank you for the link. The author refers to "the insidious role alcohol plays in our society, and in the lives of women in particular." When I think of the word insidious, sneaky (subtle) comes to mind, but I decided to look it up and it describes alcohol quite well. Insidious according to Dictionary.com means (1) "intended to entrap or beguile" (2) "stealthily treacherous or deceiptful" and/or (3) "operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous manner or seemingly harmless way, but actually with grave effect." BINGO!! Need I say more....N...O!!!