Bathroom Scales?

In need of some advice when it comes to scales. I’ve read that carpet makes you weigh more than hard floor but the scales I’m using make me lighter on carpet by 4lbs! Which is most likely to be closer to my actual weight?

Replies

• XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    👆agree! U can’t beat a hard floor.. 😝
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    My scale is not accurate but consistent.

My suggestion is to always put the scale in the same place. Hard floor is better because carpet changes. And always measure at the same time the same way.

For me it is when I first get up, after nature calls and before getting dressed. This way the only difference between the number is me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    edited March 2020
    Carpet tends to give a lower scale weight, not higher.

Utterly unyielding floor would be the most consistent and most accurate.

And anywhere in between depending on floor compression and scale construction.

The scales themselves may or may not be accurate.

Hopefully they will be consistent and with the addition of a weight trend app or website will allow you to monitor changes to your weight trend over meaningful time periods that would include full hormonal cycles as these can seriously affect water retention.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    EdenMort_x wrote: »
    In need of some advice when it comes to scales. I’ve read that carpet makes you weigh more than hard floor but the scales I’m using make me lighter on carpet by 4lbs! Which is most likely to be closer to my actual weight?

Take your scale to your kitchen, garage or any spot with a flat even surface. Weighing on carpet is not stable. Also they sell inexpensive scales that will calibrate before you weigh yourself. As a sanity check and confirmation of your home scale get weighed at your family physician. Use your same clothes you weigh at home with. Surprisingly the Dr’s office scale gives me a lb or 2 less so I’m secure with home scales ASSessment... ha ha