What made you fat?

Replies

• rhunwelshbowman
    rhunwelshbowman Posts: 37 Member
    Anxiety, Stress, comfort eating. Blood Pressure meds and Beta Blockers.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Excessive sugar consumption
  • DBNGUY786
    DBNGUY786 Posts: 54 Member
    Procrastination and not enough introspection. Years and years of bad eating and too many excuses not to hit the gym. High amount of carbs and fat like Ice Cream lol.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    I think alcohol had a lot to do with it, that and bad food choices plus lethargy.
  • dsoprana
    dsoprana Posts: 4 Member
    When I was younger, I overate to comfort myself. In hindsight, my family was unstable and my young mind perceived the instability. And then it just became a habit. And another habit I had was not being physically active. Since then, it has been a struggle to adopt new habits. I've lost weight successfully a couple times, but here I am preparing to lose it again. This time, I want to perfect maintenance.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Eating too much, especially carbs. Then came the yo-yo dieting.
  • kzshelbi
    kzshelbi Posts: 73 Member
    This is going to be a bit dark but my answer is abuse.
    Also me not controlling my eating habits and coping with food.
  • lcdube01
    lcdube01 Posts: 23 Member
    So much takeaway and just being obsessed with trying out all the new restaurants. Snacking got out of hand and i was eating a couple of sweets at night at first next thing i was eating the whole jar:/
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I swear I dont think I have a full button. When I plan my food I do fine. Otherwise, I just dont think of the consequences. I have a very dysfunctional family also and got to the point who cares and overate but finally started caring about myself.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Hedonistic eating. Just not caring. Eating like I did when I played football burning 5k calories a day...... hmmm....
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    Obvously eating too much and not moving enough. I was already overweight and was going to have back fusions and needed to quit smoking so the bone would grow, it's less likely to do so as a smoker. I quit with the patch but had to stop that too so I quit it days before the first surgery. The hardware was too big for my body and spasms were bad enough I was coming off the table. I had to wait a year for the bone to grow to get the rods removed and spent most of that year in bed, didn't eat horrible foods but too much, I gained 50lbs. I've lost 100 and maintaining now.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Mindless eating and a desk job. So I started paying attention to what I ate and riding my bike again. Problem solved.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I swear I dont think I have a full button. When I plan my food I do fine. Otherwise, I just dont think of the consequences. I have a very dysfunctional family also and got to the point who cares and overate but finally started caring about myself.

I also don't have a "full" switch normally. It's amazing how much I can eat... normally. But I found something interesting recently. I ate keto for a little more than a year and found that I did better that way, but still had to make an effort and stay hungry to lose weight.

But then, I switched to keto carnivore. After eating a carnivore diet for a few years, I've recently been trying to switch to the lion diet (just beef). I was close until a couple weeks ago... almost entirely beef, water, coffee. But then I wasn't able to buy beef anymore because of hoarding. So I've been eating some pork, turkey, cheese, eggs (still staying carnivore, but not lion diet) recently. Over the past 3 years that I've been carnivore, I've tracked food and just eaten to satiety. That has allowed me to maintain my weight through running a whole lot (18 marathons and a 50K in the past 12 months, plus some shorter races and lots of non-race running) and eating a whole lot as well. Mind you, I still have 20 lbs. of fat that I would like to lose at some point.

With all of my races getting cancelled, I decided to spend some time not running and healing some injuries that have been nagging me since Nov. I thought I would start gaining weight fast because I'm used to eating a lot for a lot of running, but that hasn't happened. Interestingly enough, my appetite has decreased along with less activity. So I'm still maintaining weight - even if I have 20 lbs. more than I want - with that decreased activity and I'm still not feeling like I'm starving as I would be if I was still eating plants. It sounds odd, but carnivore has worked really well for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    SSRIs. They made me hungry which increased calories in and sluggish which decreased calories out. When I finally got off of them 10 lb melted off without effort. I'm working on the last 10 now.
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Lack of movement. Too much food and booze. Fixed the first two and cut out the third completely. Oh what a difference...!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    @springlering62, that was insightful and inspiring and I want to virtual-hug you, but MFP only gives me one click-reaction. So much good insight and (implied) counsel in one post - thank you!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My weight gain was ultimately caused by making more poor choices than proper choices. Poor choices that were made because I wasn't paying attention, didn't understand a few things, denial, and willful indulgence. Not all at the same time but I am sure there were crossovers. I was not perfectly bad though. I made a lot of good decisions while I was gaining too. Just not enough.

My weight loss is being caused by making more good choices than bad ones. I pay attention now and I have learned a lot. I still willfully indulge at times but just like my gaining period was not all bad choices my losing period doesn't have to be all good ones.

• sarahcollver
    sarahcollver Posts: 4 Member
    My ex. He was a Scorpio.
  • IwillLOSE40kg
    IwillLOSE40kg Posts: 317 Member
    I have a condition called PCOS which is a women's hormone imbalance thing... It makes me insulin resistant and harder to loose weight... Things like carbs and dairy aren't good for me