60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Rob and Steve, Your walks sound quite impressive. My walks are almost always in my own neighborhood with a view of the Olympic Mountains. My claim to fame is consistency. I walk every morning no matter what the weather....I was slowed only following spine surgery in 2016 when I could walk only in the house with a walker for about 10 days.

:)Josephine, all your yard work sounds great. Unlike walking, when you finish a session of yardwork, everyone can see how hard you worked.

:) I just listened to a podcast where people shared what goodies they bought for their "doomsday pantry" and I realized that I am continuing to eat exactly as I did before the lock down. That is clearly a NSV (non scale victory) for me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Thanks, Barbie. I did not leave the house with the intention of walking that far. When I saw the opportunity to walk the entire course without disturbing anyone else, I could not pass it up.

I admire your consistency. I don't go every day, but the pup never lets me skip more than a couple of days.

Re: your podcast comment - same here. No change in diet. Gotta' brave Costco tomorrow for protein bars, though. I'm hoping they have a supply .

• alteredsteve175
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) I just got on the scale and I am down another 2.2 pounds YAY... I missed my March goal weight by one pound, but I am happy with my body finally letting go of the weight :smiley: We have to make a run to the bank and store... I will try to make it back later on.

Welcome to any new folks :smiley:

Have a blessed day everyone :)

Shout out to my friends <3

Excellent, Lynn! Your efforts are paying off!

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Good afternoon from Suffolk, VA. All is well or at least usual. Don't need to go to store. Cut my finger and it bled more than I thought necessary. Kid has nose bleeds for no reason I know and today, he had one in sleep and again when roaming outside. I threatened him with vitamins. Paid bills - no check has arrived into the checking account but I haven't moved so when the govt is ready, I am here. I am going to leave that check right there. 3 iris are blooming, old usual 2 tone purple, dark purple, and one that might be called Mary's lamb.
  • Fishwishing
    Fishwishing Posts: 26 Member
    Good evening, 60'ers. Things are really getting green here in mid-MO what with all the rain (and thunderstorms) we've been getting. Today was dry, so I took a bike ride on the Katy Trail and admired all the blooming and budding. I did a little morel hunting while I was out but no luck. I think it is still too early here although the may apples are up in abundance. Took a few pictures of some wild edibles but didn't pick anything. Welcome to our new members. Congratulations, lynnchristy! Good work! Have a good evening, everyone.
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    A couple of days ago my little cousin (actually, she's in her mid 20s so not so little any more!) got rushed to the hospital because of complications of covid 19 re: lung involvement and breathing difficulty. Fortunately she responded well to treatment, and is back at home but under online doctor supervision. She's got an underlying condition so we were all pretty scared when they rushed her in. She's doing better now, thank goodness.

I was down with allergies for a couple of days so exercise suffered, and I also made some unwise food choices - lol. I need to get back at it! Since a doctor's visit in January I've managed to lose about 7 pounds, but I need to lose about 10 more. Reading everyone's comments here is very helpful for getting back on track.

Lol - I need to finish working in the yard cutting stuff back /working on planting beds, and then move on to getting better organized re: house cleaning and project management. This time of social isolation is certainly the perfect time to do it. Wish me luck, because house work is my LEAST favorite thing to do!
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hello 60+friends. Doing good here in VA. Scale didn't move this week, I can wait. I wish I were sleeping better since a goods night sleep is important to overall good health. Amazon delivered fresh veggies and fruit yesterday so I'm set and sheltered for a good while.

@AnnLiz - great gardening link. Got some good tips, thanks!
    @lindagalbreath577 - hope Mother Nature gives you some fresh air exercise weather.
    @barbiecat - controlling my reactions seems easier when I'm not sleep deprived. Perhaps a nap is the Rx.
    @alligatorob - your hikes are a real challenge. Great pics.
    @alterredsteve175 - your walks sound so stress calming
    @josephinebowman - home sweet home until June 17th in VA.
    @Fishwishing - your ride and wild edible hunts sound like great fun.
    @bethe - Good luck. Hope your cousin recovers quickly.
    @lynnchristy - Nice loss. You are doing great!!

Friend hugs.
    Stay safe all.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,246 Member
    Did a good hike yesterday, just went from home and stayed on the more open mountain side. It was steep and without trail, but not so rough as the canyon trails. I got 3.8 miles with 925 ft of elevation gain. A good day. Some pictures from the hike. 19di38ht4v3m.png
    sxq24bvrpnwz.jpgxe6jh9xwsqf5.jpg

Wow, lovely!
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Checking in and catching up with everyone. Working at home today, but was a little down & sad, cloudy day, now it has started raining and I "was" going to go for lunch hike (oh well). Just completed two yoga workouts online, one for Depression and another for Calming. Really helped, feel much better and grateful. Our Gov. urged working at home yesterday (VA) and my co-worker will not do it, which makes me feel guilty when I work from home. Of course there is not much to do from home, but my work load has really decreased because of the virus. I think I will just start using more vacation time to eliminate some of the guilt. I am having a hard time when going to the local grocery store, I wait to make a trip, but then arrive and they do not have anything. I feel like I am wasting my time being exposed for nothing. May venture over the mountain for a larger grocery store? Still hanging in there but out of fresh produce and even frozen veggies. Oh, and I have been stress baking for a few nights, very healthy cookies etc, but still adds many additional calories. My weigh in on Saturday was up 3 lbs... Got to rein in my emotional eating!!! Everyone have a great afternoon, really depend on each of you to keep me on track and have a community. Thanks
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    Checking in and catching up with everyone. Working at home today, but was a little down & sad, cloudy day, now it has started raining and I "was" going to go for lunch hike (oh well). Just completed two yoga workouts online, one for Depression and another for Calming. Really helped, feel much better and grateful. Our Gov. urged working at home yesterday (VA) and my co-worker will not do it, which makes me feel guilty when I work from home. Of course there is not much to do from home, but my work load has really decreased because of the virus. I think I will just start using more vacation time to eliminate some of the guilt. I am having a hard time when going to the local grocery store, I wait to make a trip, but then arrive and they do not have anything. I feel like I am wasting my time being exposed for nothing. May venture over the mountain for a larger grocery store? Still hanging in there but out of fresh produce and even frozen veggies. Oh, and I have been stress baking for a few nights, very healthy cookies etc, but still adds many additional calories. My weigh in on Saturday was up 3 lbs... Got to rein in my emotional eating!!! Everyone have a great afternoon, really depend on each of you to keep me on track and have a community. Thanks

:) In my opinion, the right thing to do is to stay home and work from there. Your co-worker should feel guilty about going in to work after being urged to work from home.

<3 Barbie, at home in NW WA
  • njag6393
    njag6393 Posts: 27 Member
    Thats great Rob!! Keep it up. I haven’t really been trying myself but haven’t gained any back at least but that has inspired me to work on it better.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) Congratulations, Bob. Your consistency and hard work are paying off. You are inspiring to all of us. Keep on keeping on. I hope you were able to fix the water leak so you can get out today.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Congrats Rob. That’s a great milestone.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Happy hump day again +group. We are so strong and in this togther thankfully. Doing good here, staying upbeat in spite of being totally alone for who knows how long. Well I do have my cat even if he wishes I'd get out of his space for a bit. Good news is that we had a mild winter here in VA and the cat nip plant in the pot on the deck is making a comeback and we can pick a little off for his enjoyment already. Lettuce is growing well too.

@n2gardens56 - please don't feel guilty for your choice to WFH. Is your co-worker in a essential position? Don't use your vacation, just do your best work by staying distanced. Enjoy your yoga, make more healthy foods having fun in the kitchen feeding your body not your stress.
    @alligatorob - congrats on the milestone scale victory. Not needing to pay the plumber is a NSV too so good luck.
    @lindagalbreath577 - YIPPEE!!! I'd rather gain a little weight than loose coffee. Coffee, cable and internet are my best friends these days.

Friend hugs
    Wishing each of you simple comforts today and everyday. Om....
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    April and yuck, in the 40s, high barely 50. Sun is out but at 5 pm, that isn't going to heat us up. Sorry to read of the one with CV-19 and also the co-worker who works from the office. Well, the only event today was my son saw a beaver on our little walk. As far as I know, there are no beavers here and I tried to tell him it was a groundhog. A couple came right up and asked what he saw and I wanted to tell them back away but said nothing. Planted lettuce seeds just 2 days ago so not yet but my peas make me happy.
  • alteredsteve175
    April and yuck, in the 40s, high barely 50. Sun is out but at 5 pm, that isn't going to heat us up. Sorry to read of the one with CV-19 and also the co-worker who works from the office. Well, the only event today was my son saw a beaver on our little walk. As far as I know, there are no beavers here and I tried to tell him it was a groundhog. A couple came right up and asked what he saw and I wanted to tell them back away but said nothing. Planted lettuce seeds just 2 days ago so not yet but my peas make me happy.

I saw several marmots (groundhogs) on my Sunday walk with the dog. They are out and about with the warmer weather. They do look similar, but beavers are usually close to a water source. Marmots will den in rocky areas far from water.

@n2gardens56 - Do not feel guilty about working from home. I am doing what I can from home, but some stuff has to be done in the office. I would do it all from home if I could.

@alligatorrob - Welcome to Onederland. Don't ever leave. HAHA!

@lindagalbreath577 - Enjoy that caffeine!
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    The sun broke out this afternoon so we drove over to a wildlife refuge and I went for a brisk walk it was great they have nice walking paths , birds ducks geese beavers all natural birds were singing walked 4000 + steps.. felt so good came home took a shower and in jammies. Life is good! Have a good evening everyone 🤓💖
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Thanks for all the nice words. Today was a good day, except that we did not find our waterline leak, and the yard is now full of huge holes. Just have to hope for better luck tomorrow. On the diet and exercise front, the one that matters most, I did fine today.