What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited March 2020
    Pasta with tomato sauce, fresh basil, garlic, EVOO, and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. I used a 500g package of pasta. Three men ate it all, non left for me. :'( But I had a fresh baby spinach salad with chopped boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, almonds, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, EVOO, lemon pepper, salt, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar--the good stuff.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Is it already cooked or do they can it raw?

As far as I know, all this type of processing, from SPAM to other canned meats, is a cook-in-the-can process for canning hygiene. So, the plain ground beef I used for the beefaroni test was already cooked, and I adjusted my recipe method accordingly (i.e., no "browning" step, just heating ingredients). In all honesty, while we were hopeful when I ordered this stuff, when I opened the can, "dogfood" was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. However, it cooked into the recipe nicely, tasted great and was satisfying, so this was a surprise. I just ordered another case.
  • mjbnj0001
    CV19 Lockdown Day 15 (Tuesday): Spam Fried Rice

Another long-term stores food experiment while waiting on a fresh items delivery. Spam Lite, rice cooked with dehydrated mixed vegetables, fresh eggs and condiments in an easy recipe. Fairly tasty and filling/satisfying - but fear not, our local Asian restaurants needn't worry about me taking their business with this dish after the lockdown lifts, LOL. MFP recipe builder computes a serving of this as 447 cals, 40g protein, 40g fat, 86g carbs (6 servings shown below - and, sorry, flash photography washed out the colors a bit). Thinking it through, although I used soy sauce and sesame oil for a traditional flair, I might try this dish again when we're using pantry stores with a non-Asian flavors approach and more of the dehydrated veg (this was my first use other than in soups and stews).

mc0ee4xn8awn.jpg

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited April 2020

As far as I know, all this type of processing, from SPAM to other canned meats, is a cook-in-the-can process for canning hygiene. So, the plain ground beef I used for the beefaroni test was already cooked, and I adjusted my recipe method accordingly (i.e., no "browning" step, just heating ingredients). In all honesty, while we were hopeful when I ordered this stuff, when I opened the can, "dogfood" was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. However, it cooked into the recipe nicely, tasted great and was satisfying, so this was a surprise. I just ordered another case.

Please be careful when using the quote function. You have apparently messed up the nesting, because you're attributing something to me that I did not say. (I have fixed it here, but you attributed the above to me.)

ETA: Thanks for explaining about the canned ground beef.

ETA: Maybe it's just another MFP glitch. I see another post upthread (not by you) where I'm quoted but the nesting is all messed up, and I quoted it without noticing. Too late to edit that one now.
  • snowflake954
    Basmati rice, black beans, finely chopped carrot, onion, celery, parsley, garlic, EVOO, veg broth, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Basmati rice, black beans, finely chopped carrot, onion, celery, parsley, garlic, EVOO, veg broth, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.

This sounds very good!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Beef burger, Rosemary and garlic fries, Pan fried zucchini and a side of sliced cucumber, radish salad-sumono style.
  • mjbnj0001

Please be careful when using the quote function. You have apparently messed up the nesting, because you're attributing something to me that I did not say. (I have fixed it here, but you attributed the above to me.)

ETA: Thanks for explaining about the canned ground beef.

ETA: Maybe it's just another MFP glitch. I see another post upthread (not by you) where I'm quoted but the nesting is all messed up, and I quoted it without noticing. Too late to edit that one now.

sorry. i pulled all the stuff out between the first and last quote tags. must've gotten it wrong.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Savory oatmeal with ham and mushrooms topped with a poached egg.
  • mjbnj0001
    CV19 Lockdown Wednesday "Impromptu Chili Con Carne"

We got the first, and smaller of two fresh-items deliveries last night. Story below for those interested. Long story short, wound up going with a "Plan C" dinner - long-term pantry stores throw-together chili served over golden bulgur and dusted with some grated cheese. Tasty and satisfying. MFP macros on the chili per serving (below): approx. 287 cals, 28g protein, 4g fat, 33g carb, plus the usuals for bulgur wheat and cheese. Used canned beans and canned plain ground beef, fresh onion, canned tomato sauce and condiments.

Also continuing to bake, and put out a good loaf of whey-augmented honey whole wheat bread (no knead method). I'm focusing on boosting protein intake with all the carbs we're getting these past couple of weeks. This bread gives approx. 79cals, 4g protein, 1g fat, 14g carb per thin slice.

OK, so here's the chili story and a couple of lessons learned for these trying new times.

I signed up for a delivery from one of the large national grocers. The first lesson I learned is that expect your fresh items to be substituted, and know what the sub actually is. In this case, I had asked for eggplants, and the picker asked to sub "graffiti" eggplants. I said yes, not really knowing they were much smaller than a regular purple one (my error). I had had fond intentions of making baked stuffed eggplant "boats" with an included experiment of "stretching" the stuffing with a can of ground beef and bulgur as "Plan A." "Plan B" was to do an Italian-style eggplant saute with the same "boat" ingredients as original, staged on top of the bulgur, covered with some fresh mozzarella and baked. This plan failed, as the eggplants were not palatable inside (highly oxidized/overripe). This is how we got to chili. The underlying lesson with fresh foods deliveries in these trying times: be flexible. There are some vendor lessons also.

I'm expecting a larger fresh-items delivery from another source in the next day or two. Fingers crossed.

ya09ap9a5ouj.jpg

ly6inf0ffbhz.jpg

From earlier times: baked turkey eggplant "boats" - the meal model for my "Plan A"

vidmm1nzoori.jpg

• snowflake954
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

This sounds very good!

Actually, everyone went nuts over it. I'll have to buy more black beans. They aren't native to Italy and have to buy them at an import store.
  • snowflake954
    10 veggie stir fry with baby bay scallops. 🍴

1qy0idsxn2gs.jpeg

Just beautiful--almost too pretty to eat!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Sweet potato,onion tikka marsala with air fried chicken thighs and a side of tomato, green pea rice.
  • snowflake954
    Bowtie pasta with cream, Scottish smoked salmon, lemon pepper, EVOO, broth, and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Beef rendang done with the sous vide stick. Roast okra. Cucumber with goma dressing. The sous vide is a revalation for tough cuts. It doesn’t develop that stringy texture I don’t like when you braise meat.
    cy3ys0woy5cq.jpeg
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    For lunch, chickpea salad (chicken salad except with chickpeas). Not really cooking haha. Tonight, black bean stuffed sweet potatoes! Both are firsts for me, excited to try :)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    10 veggie stir fry with baby bay scallops. 🍴

Just beautiful--almost too pretty to eat!

Thanks @snowflake954 ! Trying to get in a few colori! 🌈 Hope all is well as can be in your neck of the woods.
  • Madamesmith
    Madamesmith Posts: 9 Member
    Clean-the-Fridge Frittata:five eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta, some left over spinach feta dip, leeks, left over roasted cauliflower, small quantities of diced cold potatoes, pumpkin and kumara, topped with a little lower fat cheddar. Served with kimchi. 400 calories.

(Next time, I’ll use either pumpkin or kumara rather than both as the result was a little too sweet for my palate.)