Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    You can find KN 95 masks, which the CDC won't approve, though 3M has said they are a very suitable substitute for N95 masks. Most are from China, which I think has a lot to do with it, because many healthcare providers are saying just buy us KN 95 masks, we don't care, get us something. I have an N95 I bought a while back for sanding, but I know an older couple down the street and I was researching options for them. Our one friend, 72, has two compromised older sisters she's very worried about, for good reason.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kenbensinger/coronavirus-kn95-masks-us-wont-import-china

This makes no sense, as we (taxpayers) are paying five times as much for N95 masks as we might pay for KN95 masks. Just read that someone bought the Detroit Police Dept 100K KN95 masks and donated them. They gladly took them and didn't care that the CDC wouldn't approve them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    At the governor of Minnesota’s press conference yesterday, he said people should notify local law enforcement of violations like this.
    Tucson's KGUN news wrote about a local nursing home that, though much smaller I think than the Seattle one, has been hit much the same way. I don't believe this will be the last story like this one you hear. All while students this week at the U of A, or U Arizona ;), have been having house parties. Other students smartly alerted authorities. We need to fine people huge money to stop the idiocy out there.

https://www.kgun9.com/news/coronavirus/24-residents-3-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19-at-tucson-nursing-home

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited March 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    VA governor saw too many people at parks and beaches, so... We have a Stay at Home order until... June 10 :astonished:

One of the widely circulated photos of idiots at the beach was local here in Virginia Beach. I was shopping for essentials yesterday and I think a couple of them that crowded the beach were in the store with me. While the vast majority were aware and using social distancing, two of them in particular needed to be slapped.

Sadly the morons from the populated areas will head to the quieter areas if they don't impose the "Stay at home" order, so just be glad we are stuck with most of them.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I don't recall seeing this yet, my Dad's rebuilding a computer and ordered a part from EBay. Turns out it's from China and it was stopping at the border because of the virus.

On salad, I just finished eating cabbage for lettuce. My stores were out of the bins of spring greens, spinach, and kale plus all the bagged lettuce was gone. I don't eat the bagged stuff aside of spinach or baby kale and I'm guessing since more people are eating at home they want salads with dinner. My cabbage lasted two weeks so I had something left out of running out of Romaine.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    On the curve and where the US is and so on, I thought this was useful in thinking about it: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/look-beneath-the-national-numbers

"Let me note one of the known unknowns we should be thinking about as we roll into the coming brutal weeks. We are looking at national statistics – infections, tests, fatalities, hospitalizations. But these are likely illusory. There really is no national outbreak. There’s a big New York outbreak which still dominates the national statistics and will have its own discrete dynamics. It seems very likely you will have a series of other regional and metropolitan area outbreaks unfolding across the country in the coming weeks. So the national numbers will be misleading. In epidemiological terms the US is more like Europe as a whole, rather than any individual country, especially when states are playing such an outsized role combating the disease because of a significantly distracted federal response....

I’ve seen estimates that the ‘peak’ in the US is likely to come in mid-April. It’s hard for me to make sense of those projections. It’s supposed to come roughly around then in New York. But as you can see for now New York is close to half the current ‘national’ outbreak despite the state making up less than 6% of the US population. If you have anything like what is currently happening in New York happen in large sections of the rest of the country these numbers are likely to be dwarfed by what is to come and the peak of infections and fatalities significantly further out into the future.

Again, known unknowns. One of the reasons it’s hard to make sense of these graphs is that testing is not at all evenly spread around the country. The US is no longer clearly behind most countries in testing. The US is approaching a million tests and has been testing about 100,000 people a day since late last week. But the numbers are very unevenly spread around the country...."
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    You can find KN 95 masks, which the CDC won't approve, though 3M has said they are a very suitable substitute for N95 masks. Most are from China, which I think has a lot to do with it, because many healthcare providers are saying just buy us KN 95 masks, we don't care, get us something. I have an N95 I bought a while back for sanding, but I know an older couple down the street and I was researching options for them. Our one friend, 72, has two compromised older sisters she's very worried about, for good reason.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kenbensinger/coronavirus-kn95-masks-us-wont-import-china

This makes no sense, as we (taxpayers) are paying five times as much for N95 masks as we might pay for KN95 masks. Just read that someone bought the Detroit Police Dept 100K KN95 masks and donated them. They gladly took them and didn't care that the CDC wouldn't approve them.

In Europe - Spain I think - they bought Chinese masks and found that they had a huge failure rate. Same with the tests. If only 30% work as they should, there are going to be a lot of sick health care providers.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    So is there anywhere that you can get any kind of masks? I'd like to get some for my parents to wear when they go to the grocery store (they refuse to let me shop for them, grrrr). I don't have a sewing machine or I'd try to figure out how to do something from scratch.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Potentially changing information on it being “airborne” or not...

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/coronavirus-could-be-airborne-study-suggests
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    So is there anywhere that you can get any kind of masks? I'd like to get some for my parents to wear when they go to the grocery store (they refuse to let me shop for them, grrrr). I don't have a sewing machine or I'd try to figure out how to do something from scratch.
    You might try one of these:
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/how-to-make-face-mask-from-fabric-covid-19-162753601.html
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You might try one of these:
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/how-to-make-face-mask-from-fabric-covid-19-162753601.html

Thanks!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2020
    I wonder if something like this would be of any use? I have one I bought for my hair. It's polyester but definitely big enough to double up and add some sort of filter material between the layers. Of course, at some point you can't breathe... :tongue:

https://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Original-Multifunctional-Headwear-Graphite/dp/B07BJ3D4PD/